SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Missing Gulf Breeze man's boat found, empty, near Mexico (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22833)

BananaTom 09-03-2011 07:34 AM

Missing Gulf Breeze man's boat found, empty, near Mexico

Thank you for your prayers Salty Cajun. The Tears of Tropical Storm Lee will fall for days Lee Kent.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20110903/NEWS01/109030310/Missing-Gulf-Breeze-man-s-boat-found-empty-near-Mexico?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

A fishing boat belonging to a Gulf Breeze man missing in the Gulf of Mexico for nearly a week was recovered off the coast of Mexico on Friday, but no one was on board, according to a Mexican newspaper.

The Monkeybar II, owned by Lee Kent, 41, of Gulf Breeze was found floating near Chuburna, a town on the Yucatan Peninsula, the Progreso Hoy reported on its website.

A fisherman found the boat and towed it into port. Its two Mercury outboard engines were in working order, the website reported.
An official with the U.S. Coast Guard confirmed Friday night that Mexican authorities are holding the boat pending an investigation.
The newspaper's website published two photos of the boat alongside a dock in Chuburna.

Kent's brother, Lionel Kent, had just received word Friday evening that the boat had been found when contacted by the News Journal. He said his brother never travels to the Yucatan.

"He went fishing 100 miles out. All he was doing was going fishing," Lionel Kent said. "He was abducted by these (expletive) pirates. Either that, or he fell off the boat and it kept going."

Lee Kent worked as a salesman for United Rentals, according to business associate Chris Cox, president of Pen Gulf Inc., a Pensacola-based industrial contractor.

Cox and Kent had lunch the week before Kent disappeared, and Kent often talked about his boat with Cox. Kent and his wife, Kim, have two children, Cox said.

The Coast Guard on Tuesday called off its search for Kent, who went fishing alone in his 37-foot Boston Whaler in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday and never returned. He was expected home that evening for his birthday party, Coast Guard officials said.

The Coast Guard covered more than 28,000 nautical miles in 47 hours by air and sea in the search.

Lionel Kent said the craft contained about 300 gallons of fuel when his brother left from Little Sabine Bay last Saturday. He said that much fuel might carry the boat as far as 500 miles at trolling speed.

He added that while boating with his brother, Lee frequently would say the boat was getting about a mile to the gallon. The Yucatan Peninsula is more than 550 nautical miles from Pensacola.

Lionel Kent said he has been trying to hire a charter pilot to resume an air search for his brother since the Coast Guard called off its operations. But because Tropical Storm Lee was in the Gulf, none would take the job, he said.

"I don't care what the hell I have to do. Somebody's going out there," he said.

BananaTom 09-03-2011 07:49 AM

Here is the english translation of that Mexican article:

Suspected Cuban-American mafia that traffics in people

The boat "MonkeyB II" licensed FL5961NJ-320, Florida, Boston Whaler brand, model "Outrage", 32 feet long, was found adrift off the coast of Puerto Chuburna and towed to the port of refuge, where was left without any care.

A phone call to the editor of Por Esto! warned about the boat and immediately asked the regional port captain Elias Cordoba Araico about this event and reported that according to a report of Captain Puerto Chuburna delegate, Gaspar Trejo, Luis Rolando fisherman Yam Chan said Wednesday night found the said vessel at 10 fathoms off the port so the port of refuge drove to the police station.

Yesterday, at 15:00, members of the Ninth Naval District of Yucalpetén inspected the boat with two outboard motors Mercury brand, 220 horsepower.

As reported by the fisherman who found it, the ship was drifting with the keys on the console complements equipped, but without the crew.

The Ninth Military Naval District Yucalpetén reported that after review, the vessel will remain under custody of the Federal Maritime Ward (Remafe) because there was no evidence of any illegal drugs or explosive devices.

This boat has all the characteristics of those used by Cuban-American mafia for the smuggling of undocumented Cubans on the island to the Yucatan Peninsula.

In the traffic of undocumented people is visible participation of citizens Yucatan, Progreso in particular, and that several Yucatecan expanded "business" illicit sale of boats, engines and parts stolen in the United States.

Is the case of Alberto Ceballos Cesar Burgos, alias "El Mostrito" who is imprisoned in a jail in the United States, after investigations launched in connection with the complaint of Por Esto! paid off by the authorities of that country.

As reported, while "The Mostrito" is being held in the neighboring country, Jose "Pepe" Dogra Auais hiding in an area near the workshop Ceballos Burgos, biting his nails done all in a tizzy because the U.S. was barred from entering that country and also because it investigated.

For his part, Mario Enriquez Lopez, alias "Neco" another piece in the vicinity of the crime, the boats were sold here at bargain prices with prominent businessmen and politicians, is the scene of the investigation, and suffer the same Pepe Auais fate, unable to enter the neighboring country to the north.

Late last year, Por Esto! reported that about 100 recreational boats stolen and / or "cloned" in Florida sailed the seas of the Yucatan Peninsula, which had been purchased primarily by businessmen and politicians.

At the forefront of this lucrative business was located José "Pepe" Auais Dogra, later joined by Mario Lopez Enriquez, (a) "Neco" and several years ago Ceballos Cesar Burgos, (a) "The Mostrito."

This business started with the theft of boats in Florida to transport undocumented Cubans, as well as drug trafficking to the Yucatan Peninsula and reached such perfection that the boats were sold stolen documents then here apocryphal "cloned" from other There are yachts in the U.S., but have no reports of robbery.

After the claims made in Por Esto!, Insurers in the United States, bounty hunters and law enforcement authorities began investigating and soon after the PGR said the luxury yacht Sea Hunter, Tiara brand 2005 model, 39 feet long whose value is calculated more than $ 400,000, based on a complaint by the company "Seaworthy Insurance". This seizure occurred in the Marina Mario Enrique López (a) "Neco".

The "Sea Hunter" appeared with Mexican registration 3101463324-3, but its original owner, a U.S. citizen who lives in Miami, found that the serial number matched the engine of the boat that was stolen in your country October 2010.

Before this scandal, Inter pol, the FBI and the International Association of Marine Investigators and Immigration Service United States took action on the matter.

When the scandal was uncovered, many owners of boats boats hidden and in many cases they got rid of them. Others canceled their ongoing operations.

BananaTom 09-03-2011 07:58 AM

Here is another local Mexican media reported on their website....

PROGRESS-Elements of the Ministry of Navy of Mexico (Semar) and personnel of the port captain, ensured yesterday afternoon a yacht of recreation which was adrift off the coast of this port.

The ship, which would have been for illicit activities, specifically for trafficking in persons according to the sources, is the yacht "Monkeybar II", with enrolment of Florida, United States.UU., FL5961NJ.

The yacht is a Boston Whaler of about 30 feet in length and it was found by fishermen of Chuburna, as confirmed to ProgresoHoy.com height Captain Elias Cordoba Araico, owner of ports in the State.

The delegate of the captaincy in Chuburna, Gaspar Trejo, explained that it was the fisherman
Luis Rolando Yam Chan who found the vessel to approximately 10 fathoms of this station, which is why her remolcó to the fishing shelter "Gilberto" of that community.

The yacht, which could well be considered a prisoner of sea where the fisherman claim ownership of the ship that was abandoned, has two engines Mercury Outboard in perfect working condition.

Staff of the Commander of the Naval zone IX confirmed the assurance, and pointed out that yesterday carried out an inspection to the ship. It transpired that the yacht has no traces of drugs, so it is presumed that it would have been used for trafficking in human beings between Cuba and the United States.UU.

The ship will remain in custody of Federal Maritime shelter (Remafe). The yacht, according to people linked to the environment, would be valued at about $800,000. Most investigated by the authorities in this regard.

Finfeatherfur 09-03-2011 08:32 AM

What a tragic story. I fish alone on occasion, but not sure I would run 100 miles out alone, and I suspect he had something happen which threw him overboard.

Raymond 09-03-2011 09:00 AM

Doesn't add up, how many of u would head out 100 miles by yourself knowing u had to be back for your birthday party that evening??? Also don't buy the pirate senerio, keys on console, pirates would have taken the boat and thrown him overboard. Too many questions with this story.

swamp snorkler 09-03-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 316506)
Doesn't add up, how many of u would head out 100 miles by yourself knowing u had to be back for your birthday party that evening??? Also don't buy the pirate senerio, keys on console, pirates would have taken the boat and thrown him overboard. Too many questions with this story.

Yeah I have to agree on this one, no way in hell I would run 100 miles offshore alone, much less knowing I had to be back early that afternoon. No EPIRB either.......seems fishy to me at best.

bjhooper82 09-03-2011 09:23 AM

Yeah i agree. Something isnt right here.

Finfeatherfur 09-03-2011 10:22 AM

I was thinking the same thing!

chasin'tail 09-03-2011 12:46 PM

Just a thought > Might have needed to fake a death, would need to know more of the person and his life. But prayers to the family....

Raymond 09-03-2011 04:17 PM

If he was faking his death and life insurance is involved, there is a 7 yr wait if no body is recovered.

chasin'tail 09-03-2011 05:25 PM

He might just needed to disappear, it's been known to happen...

iron man 09-03-2011 05:40 PM

My uncle lives in Gulf Breeze wonder if he knows him.

Chris Havoc 09-03-2011 05:40 PM

One slip, One misplaced foot....just one wave could have sent him overboard and even the most experienced swimmers would have a hard time catching a boat at "trolling" speeds. We will probably never know exactly what happened, although i'm sure his gps might have some interesting information.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

fishinpox 09-03-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Havoc (Post 316699)
One slip, One misplaced foot....just one wave could have sent him overboard and even the most experienced swimmers would have a hard time catching a boat at "trolling" speeds. We will probably never know exactly what happened, although i'm sure his gps might have some interesting information.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

X2