SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Trip to big lake in October. (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55361)

Treboryerf 08-03-2014 12:08 PM

Trip to big lake in October.

Hey guys I got a do it urself trip to big lake middle of October, will be staying at spicers, this will be my first trip ever. I'll be bringing my wife and another couple. I would love to target the reds and then maybe trout if we're lucky enough to limit on reds. Any info on the lake would be appreciated. I'm concerned about running in the lake and taking out my lower unit on a reef as well. So any info about that would be great to. Thanks guys.

mriguy 08-03-2014 12:28 PM

Be careful running the bayou out from Spicer ' s to the ship channel. Might be a good idea to follow someone out the first time

Treboryerf 08-03-2014 01:41 PM

Ok thanks for the heads up

ckinchen 08-03-2014 01:48 PM

That time of year the weirs for reds would be a slam dunk but leave early. For trout turners will be doing well, you should have some birds working early until the crazy folks run all of them off.

Gerald 08-03-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 711436)
Be careful running the bayou out from Spicer ' s to the ship channel. Might be a good idea to follow someone out the first time

Easy route from Spicer's......

Go east from Spicer's and follow the left bank.

The bayou makes a left turn after you head out. Then the bayou goes north some and makes a big half circle before coming out to the ship channel [Calcasieu river]. The water inside the "circle" is very shallow.

Treboryerf 08-03-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 711449)
That time of year the weirs for reds would be a slam dunk but leave early. For trout turners will be doing well, you should have some birds working early until the crazy folks run all of them off.

I've heard that the weirs are productive. Are they good most anytime or just when water coming through? Also when you say birds working are you talking about diving into the water feeding or what. I'm using power pro line, do I need a florocarbon leader and if so how much and what strength would you recommend.

Treboryerf 08-03-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald (Post 711452)
Easy route from Spicer's......

Go east from Spicer's and follow the left bank.

The bayou makes a left turn after you head out. Then the bayou goes north some and makes a big half circle before coming out to the ship channel [Calcasieu river]. The water inside the "circle" is very shallow.

Thanks. What about the lake itself?

cduhon 08-03-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treboryerf (Post 711480)
I've heard that the weirs are productive. Are they good most anytime or just when water coming through? Also when you say birds working are you talking about diving into the water feeding or what. I'm using power pro line, do I need a florocarbon leader and if so how much and what strength would you recommend.

Birds are working ( diving chasing shrimp) that time of year. Should have no problem finding birds on west bank near where you are staying that time of year. No need for fluorocarbon when birds working. It's a reactive bite and will bite almost anything when fishing under the birds. Stop a good ways out and troll into the birds, if birds stay together then fish are easy to locate. Good luck

Treboryerf 08-03-2014 07:35 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming with any tricks n tips y'all have.

bgizzle 08-03-2014 11:31 PM

Check out joes cove if it isn't a hard north wind. The mouth on the cove side of the south cut might get you trout n reds . Also the bayou across joes from second cut should have reds n flounder. Birds may be pickin . I stress if it's a hard north wind that reef is shallow so be very cautious. Good luck

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

Treboryerf 08-04-2014 08:13 AM

Thanks again. I need to learn the names of all these coves. Is there a map I can get that may list them.

BuckingFastard 08-04-2014 08:14 AM

Wheres the "W" mao of biglake? does anyone have that one?

Marque 08-04-2014 06:28 PM

There is a hook and line map that you can find at any bait shop in the area. It has all of the reefs and gps coordinates for them. The only thing I would worry about running into in the Lake itself are the old jetties on the southwest corner of the lake. There may be some other spots but I don't know about them. Also it does get shallow at some points when entering the lake from the ship channel. West Cove is a different story. Its shallow in there. But if your in the middle of the lake there isn't much to worry about.

Treboryerf 08-04-2014 09:43 PM

Thanks. I am concerned about damaging my lower unit so any info is helpful.