SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Coonass baitwell (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19737)

1fastmerc 06-15-2011 01:33 PM

Coonass baitwell

For those of you like me who have to use an ice chest for an baitwell, what size are y'all using. I have an ice that is app. 5gal but my bait seems to die quick. I do use an areator to keep them alive and still no luck. Im mainly talking about shrimp.

booyagasha 06-15-2011 01:36 PM

Not sure about your problem ..but maybe they getting beat to death..I believe the amount of water has something to do with it

wtretrievers 06-15-2011 01:38 PM

There's a tread from last year (I think) on live/bait wells.....don't think I can search from phone.....have pictures of one I made from a water cooler & is the ticket! I'll see if I can find it

wtretrievers 06-15-2011 01:39 PM

Shrimp or bait needs to be in a round or oval well.

wtretrievers 06-15-2011 01:49 PM

I'll dig this eve on computer when I get home for ya.

alphaman 06-15-2011 01:50 PM

It may be the water temp. (To hot) Find out what temp they live in. I was told put ice in a zip lock bag. To cool the water.

sent from my HTC Inspire

bmac 06-15-2011 01:56 PM

I bought a frabil bucket and bubbled from academy for $35. Used it on my kayak two weeks ago. I just about died from the heat, but the shrimp were still alive when I got back to the dock.

Lake Chuck Duck 06-15-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 269263)
It may be the water temp. (To hot) Find out what temp they live in. I was told put ice in a zip lock bag. To cool the water.

sent from my HTC Inspire

I was gonna say that. I made one out of a 48qt marine ice chest that works awesome.

evidrine 06-15-2011 02:06 PM

Try one of these...
http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Ga...tackables.aspx

Lay the back down to where the lid is on top. Seen a lot of guys use these for their kayaks. They mount rod holders on the back or sides and they're set. Mostly seen it used with water pump to pump fresh water in and old water out like they do on a baot. Not sure if you want one for a kayak, just thought i'd throw that in.

The ice is a good idea to keep the water cool, so is a round container for shrimp. What I do is weigh down a sponge to the bottom. Gives the shrimp something to grab a hold to so they are not banged around as much.

SaltyShaw 06-15-2011 02:12 PM

Man go buy a 5 gallon bucket from academy and the 16 dollar foam baitwell with the aireator and cut down bucket to size squirt silicone all in the bottom of the bucket slide the foam bait well in there and let it dry. freeze you one of those tiny gatorade bottles full of water and put it in the foam baitwell when you leave your house i have held 1.5 quarts of shrimp in mine and had like 3 die all day in the heat ill post some pics of what im talking about easy easy

SaltyShaw 06-15-2011 02:15 PM

http://tapatalk.com/mu/905e0004-04a1-c207.jpg

Oh yeh I bought the flat weighted air stone also like 2.99 or something and I keep some spare batteries in my dry box

evidrine 06-15-2011 02:18 PM

Nice. Like the setup.

SULPHITE 06-15-2011 02:19 PM

dude thats pimp...

PaulMyers 06-15-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyShaw (Post 269302)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/905e0004-04a1-c207.jpg

Oh yeh I bought the flat weighted air stone also like 2.99 or something and I keep some spare batteries in my dry box

I'll trade you 2 SaltyCajun.com towels for one of those. :eek: No Really!:)

SaltyShaw 06-15-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 269312)
I'll trade you 2 SaltyCajun.com towels for one of those. :eek: No Really!:)

I'll make you one man, who ever wants one just PM me I'll add up the costs in a little while and that's what I'll charge ya to do it, but it's very easy to do

wtretrievers 06-15-2011 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what I use..... My Skeeter bay had a 40 gal bait well, didn't work near as good as this plus it's insulated & has handles to strap down with bungee cords, freeze water bottles & put 10 or so in icechest & keep a couple in baitwell, swap out every couple hours. Never a problem, cool water, good aerator & round baitwell is the keys to keep em alive
Aerator goes in through the top, drill the right size hole & it comes with a rubber grommet to seal off
& get the pull lid type....not the screw on!

Ray 06-15-2011 04:14 PM

Fish piss in the water and make it saturate with amonia.
There are several brands of stuff that neutralize the amonia.
Rejuvenade is one. They are one of the sponsors on the HT Redfish tourny.

1fastmerc 06-15-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyShaw (Post 269298)
Man go buy a 5 gallon bucket from academy and the 16 dollar foam baitwell with the aireator and cut down bucket to size squirt silicone all in the bottom of the bucket slide the foam bait well in there and let it dry. freeze you one of those tiny gatorade bottles full of water and put it in the foam baitwell when you leave your house i have held 1.5 quarts of shrimp in mine and had like 3 die all day in the heat ill post some pics of what im talking about easy easy

That sounds pretty easy. If you can post some pics of it.

weedeater 06-15-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 269449)
That sounds pretty easy. If you can post some pics of it.

sounds like one of our problems is bouncing around in the 15x48 C.A.B.B." Coon *** Bass Boat" in 2-3ft waves along with a square ice chest.:D

specktator 06-15-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 269263)

sent from my HTC Inspire

Yeh gotta keep the water cool. I just throw some ice in there out the icechest every few hours.