SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Big Lake Wiers are easy limits but fustrating (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66498)

lakesport90 02-20-2017 11:44 AM

Big Lake Wiers are easy limits but fustrating

Ok, First of all. Let me start out by saying , This was my first time ever to B/L. we went to the 3rd weir South of Hebert's. It has a small pass thru for boats in the center. Ive heard ALL the horror stories about the congestion at the wiers on the weekends.. Well, its not that bad..Its WORSE! :eek:This is complete insanity. Some people should not be allowed to own a boat! . They have the attitude that if the boat can fit, they can anchor there! We already had 3 boats fishing the same spot (middle canal about 50ft from weir), then 2 boats come thru and we had to pull our lines in, thinking they are just passing thru the weir opening. WRONG, they both stop in the middle and throw titantic anchors over! Are you kidding me! :pissed: Thank God we only need 1 more to limit out, Which my daughter already had on her line come to find out, so we got him in the icechest and got the heck out of there, !:spineyes: I will NEVER go back on a weekend. I suggest if you have a temper, stay away by all means!

I know this is a report section for fishing results, but I feel the fishing experience is part of the report. Now that I got that off my chest, the fishing was plentiful. Went saturday and limited out (me/wife) in about 1 1/2 hrs. Went bk Sunday and limited out again (me/wife/daughter) about 2 hrs! So 25 reds for the wkend :) We caught them on dead shrimp on 1/4 jig.

Im sry.. Looking at map. I believe it was the 3rd wier South of Heberts. It has a small openeing for boats to pass thru...

marshrunner757 02-20-2017 11:53 AM

That place can be a nightmare lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

specktator 02-20-2017 12:11 PM

My uncle was out there on Saturday. They got a limit but said there were tons of boats fishing illegally, too close to wier.

rardoin 02-20-2017 01:05 PM

Does anyone recall the harbor scene from JAWS???:shaking:

lakesport90 02-20-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 815995)

LOL..Thats exactly what it looked like!:shaking:

"W" 02-20-2017 04:02 PM

But they keep people off the lake and it's awsome for us lol

It's really crazy because In

December Chris and I
Cleaned 575 Redfish for customers
And 670 in January and maybe 30 were caught at weirs and that was mid week with high winds only reason we fished them and had to ourself

If people would spend a little time and learn that weirs are not only place that hold fish .

mallard matt 02-20-2017 04:20 PM

Ive seen people draw down with pistols on each other at the wiers before.

Pull n Pray 02-20-2017 04:45 PM

If you go to the weirs you have to throw all fishing etiquette out the door. Its the Royal Rumble of red fishing. Its the price you pay for easy fishing.

alexm 02-20-2017 07:10 PM

Any size to your catch? I haven't heard of much beyond barely legal coming out of the lake lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nozediver 02-20-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 816001)
But they keep people off the lake and it's awsome for us lol

It's really crazy because In

December Chris and I
Cleaned 575 Redfish for customers
And 670 in January and maybe 30 were caught at weirs and that was mid week with high winds only reason we fished them and had to ourself

If people would spend a little time and learn that weirs are not only place that hold fish .

Shhhh. Only reds are at the wires and nowhere else

"W" 02-20-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull n Pray (Post 816003)
If you go to the weirs you have to throw all fishing etiquette out the door. Its the Royal Rumble of red fishing. Its the price you pay for easy fishing.

Kind of like boat ramp at 5:30am on Saturday in June

marty f 02-20-2017 10:02 PM

Heard there were ALOT guides in there........ sad

I have only fished weirs 3 times ever , 2 out of the 3 the guides were there doing EXACTLY what the OP described, ridding right up in the center and staking their claim, or doing the swap out with another guide.......... pretty sad when these "guides" have to fish the weirs

Withe the exception of W and one or two other guides , I have little respect for the big lake guides.

rardoin 02-21-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty f (Post 816024)
Heard there were ALOT guides in there........ sad

Withe the exception of W and one or two other guides , I have little respect for the big lake guides.

There is a big difference between a Guide and some guy with a boat, some rods and reels and a U.S.C.G 6-pack. ;)

Southern Sportsman 02-21-2017 08:31 AM

You Said it do not go if you have a temper !!!!!! Most times easy fishing, its good when you are struggling on the lake or have kids or people that don't fish often cause its easy

"W" 02-21-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 816034)
There is a big difference between a Guide and some guy with a boat, some rods and reels and a U.S.C.G 6-pack. ;)

You are 1000000000000% right

Hit nail on the head !!!

never should a guide have customers involved in that cluster ever ..

alexm 02-21-2017 12:37 PM

Anyone know what the penalty is for violating the 250' rule?

I haven't been there enough to see whether or not that's even enforced at all.

meaux fishing 02-21-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm (Post 816052)
Anyone know what the penalty is for violating the 250' rule?

I haven't been there enough to see whether or not that's even enforced at all.

They will write you a ticket not sure how much it will cost you though. When it gets too out of hand they will have undercover guys out there so just because you don't see a game warden doesn't mean there isn't one there.

redchaserron 02-21-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakesport90 (Post 815987)
.........We already had 3 boats fishing the same spot (middle canal about 50ft from weir), .........

I hope you were more than 50 feet from the weir, (see post above)

"W" 02-21-2017 02:51 PM

Fine is $250 per person 1st offense

They hammered em in January one day , wrote a pile of tickets and was told 70% of the tickets wrote were from Out of state

fun w son 02-21-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 815995)

while reading his story, i was thinking the exact thing!!