SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grand Isle around Easter (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66304)

stiles 01-12-2017 10:51 AM

Grand Isle around Easter

Hey - I'm de-lurking because I could really use some advice for an upcoming trip. I am a very experienced inshore fisherman, but its my first trip to GI and I would love to know what to stock and keep an eye out for. I will be using artificials exclusively - but I'm not sure what to bring. I've read a lot of people use double rigs, but I didn't know if that was more of a summer thing. I don't need anyone's honey hole, but I would love to know what to focus on in mid- April. Thanks!

Jman121799 01-12-2017 11:05 AM

Fish there every spring! Focus on cuts and drains in the marsh off of the big bayous and canals. H&h cocohoe in **** of the walk color, along with matrix shad in kamikaze work well, both can be tight lined or under a popping cork! Also blue moon and opening night are good colors that time of year, if you have any other question feel free to contact me

stiles 01-12-2017 11:43 AM

Thanks Jman. Very helpfull!

meaux fishing 01-12-2017 12:22 PM

Grand Isle around Easter

Tko shrimp under a cork or matrix shad tight lined. I like to take the factory hook out of the tko and put them on a 1/8 or 1/16 oz jighead. Sometimes there are bigger fish in the southern bays around islands and other structure at that time of year although marsh drains are more consistent.

Reel Screamers 02-22-2017 10:18 PM

If the shrimp have started to come in and they should have with this weather we are having then opening night should be your go to color for plastic. You do not mention if you will be in a boat. If you are and you have a livewell, a few throws of the cast net and you should be slamming the fish with small live pogies.

meaux fishing 02-23-2017 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Screamers (Post 816248)
If the shrimp have started to come in and they should have with this weather we are having then opening night should be your go to color for plastic. You do not mention if you will be in a boat. If you are and you have a livewell, a few throws of the cast net and you should be slamming the fish with small live pogies.

Any reports from down there recently capt Daryl?

eman 02-26-2017 11:18 AM

Capt Daryl posted a report friday. said that the fish are a month or more ahead of schedule. fishing behind the island and already having a problem with dinks.
That doesn't usually start happening a lot till end of april into may.

Reel Screamers 03-08-2017 10:11 PM

Yeh, looks like we are early this year. Have caught specks all year on the more northern oyster reefs, etc. As soon as the bait starts to show up they should start ganging up. I'm waiting for the first net full of pogies like a horse in the starting gate.