SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offshore Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   AJ off Kona (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9028)

Big Kahunaz 03-29-2010 05:40 PM

AJ off Kona

6 Attachment(s)
Nailed this 70+lb AJ off the Kona Coast right outside the harbor on light tackle. Soreness: Forearms..Check Wrist...Check Pubis...Check :smokin:

We caught several Opelu and decided to use them for bait. The current was ripping like someone pulled the plug on the Pacific...which made conditions tough. We had 2 wahoo blow ups but no hooksets.....lost a bull dolphin about 20 yards from the boat...got broke off by lord knows what...and ended the day w/ this AJ. Right now is a transitioning period...and somehow...my 2nd day was filled w/ unheard of currents...causing fishing to be super slow and tough... Ended up not getting any strikes on the 2nd marlin troll and nothing at all on Tuna. Everything should will pick up w/in the next month. Come May I will be putting fish to sleep. I've got an overnighter coming up next month to South Point and think its gonna be one hell of a trip. i hope to get out again w/in the next 2 weeks so i'll continue to post pics from trips. I'm also looking into skin diving/spear fishing. The locals here free dive and spear fish down to 130ft. :eek:Attachment 11064

Attachment 11065

Attachment 11066
See how close the land is...well it's 60 fathoms here.
Attachment 11067

Attachment 11068

Attachment 11069

Ray 03-29-2010 05:41 PM

Dem's guud eatin...

meaux fishing 03-29-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 133611)
Dem's guud eatin...

yeah you right...

meaux fishing 03-29-2010 05:48 PM

nice looking aj there...must be pretty nice to ride a couple miles and be in that kind of water

Big Kahunaz 03-29-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 133611)
Dem's guud eatin...

Not here .....they carry Ciguatera :puke:

FF_T_Warren 03-29-2010 07:04 PM

whats that?

Big Kahunaz 03-29-2010 08:17 PM

Ciguatera

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 133644)
whats that?

WIKI:
caused by eating certain whose flesh is contaminated with toxins originally produced by such as which lives in tropical and sub-tropical waters. These dinoflagellates adhere to coral, algae and seaweed where they are eaten by herbivorous fish who in turn are eaten by larger carnivorous fish. In this way the toxins move up the and . Gambierdiscus toxicus is the primary dinoflagellate responsible for the production of a number of similar but distinct toxins that cause ciguatera. These toxins include , , scaritoxin and . species near the top of the food chain in tropical and sub-tropical waters, such as , , , , , and , are most likely to cause ciguatera poisoning, although many other species have been found to cause occasional outbreaks of toxicity. Ciguatoxin is very heat-resistant, so ciguatoxin-laden fish cannot be detoxified by conventional .[1][2]

When i lived in Galveston...people fishing the flower gardens had to be careful about their consumption. I recall a group catching a rather large Warsaw Grouper from the Gardens and w/in a few days a lady from the group was in critical condition after eating the fish...(although she did survive)...i'd rather not take my chances.

BayouFX4 03-30-2010 11:46 AM

That's a nice kahala you got there.

Big Kahunaz 03-30-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouFX4 (Post 133971)
That's a nice kahala you got there.

Ahhh....someone knows there stuff...spent time here yeah?;)

huntin fool 03-30-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz (Post 133987)

yes,very nice kahala you got there donnie.

***'s a kahala? lol

BayouFX4 03-30-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz (Post 133987)

Lol yeah I've been to Hawaii 3 times for family vacation. I also read a lot of saltwater magazines so I pick up on the local names of fish. I can't wait to visit again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 133990)
yes,very nice kahala you got there donnie.

***'s a kahala? lol

Kahala is just Hawaiin for amberjack. Like mahi mahi is for dolphin and ono is for wahoo.

Big Kahunaz 03-31-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouFX4 (Post 134007)
Lol yeah I've been to Hawaii 3 times for family vacation. I also read a lot of saltwater magazines so I pick up on the local names of fish. I can't wait to visit again.

Kahala is just Hawaiin for amberjack. Like mahi mahi is for dolphin and ono is for wahoo.

Heard ya there...i need to get me an A'u and some Ahi! :D