SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cooking Lessons (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63968)

fishfighter 04-28-2016 11:27 AM

Cooking Lessons

i bought some tuna filets and just about ruined them, i pan grilled them in olive oil, they were not bad enough to where i couldn't eat them but they were not good, i want to try again but don't want to do the same, next time i will fire up the grill, i need some recipes for the stove and the bar b que so i don't F up so bad again :help::help::help:

duckman1911 04-28-2016 11:43 AM

How long did you cook them? Season them up. Butter and olive oil on med/high heat. Into the pan and a quick sear on both sides then remove to rest. You don't want more than a 1/2" ring of cooked fish (white) all the way around. That's my way. I'm sure others are better than me.
Saute needs to chime in on this one.

latravcha 04-28-2016 01:07 PM

Tuna is all about keeping it rare. I cook a 1" thick steak about 45 seconds on each side on medium high heat. If I cook it on the grill i cook it on foil. All you want to do is sear it. For seasoning I either use salt and pepper or i melt some butter and blend with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper and inject the steak and pour the extra on top when I'm searing the tuna.

duckman1911 04-28-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latravcha (Post 793719)
Tuna is all about keeping it rare. I cook a 1" thick steak about 45 seconds on each side on medium high heat. If I cook it on the grill i cook it on foil. All you want to do is sear it. For seasoning I either use salt and pepper or i melt some butter and blend with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper and inject the steak and pour the extra on top when I'm searing the tuna.

Will have to try the lime juice. Good acid kick. I like fresh cut rosemary on baked ore grilled fish. If you don't want the rosemary on the fish you can saute a fresh sprig in the butter/olive oil to draw out the oils then discard the rosemary sprig.

swamp snorkler 04-28-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfighter (Post 793713)
i bought some tuna filets and just about ruined them, i pan grilled them in olive oil, they were not bad enough to where i couldn't eat them but they were not good, i want to try again but don't want to do the same, next time i will fire up the grill, i need some recipes for the stove and the bar b que so i don't F up so bad again :help::help::help:

You shouldn't have cooked it. Slice it thin and eat it with some Ponzu sauce or make a ceviche with it.

fishfighter 04-28-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 793715)
How long did you cook them? Season them up. Butter and olive oil on med/high heat. Into the pan and a quick sear on both sides then remove to rest. You don't want more than a 1/2" ring of cooked fish (white) all the way around. That's my way. I'm sure others are better than me.

i cooked them a little longer than probably should have cause they were kind of thick maybe 1-1/2" thick i had about 1/2" in the middle still pink, i just need to get the flavoring right

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 793730)
You shouldn't have cooked it. Slice it thin and eat it with some Ponzu sauce or make a ceviche with it.

i would try that if it was fresh but i don't know how fresh they were, i bought them from a local butcher store, they were frozen when i got them

thanks for you guys input i will try again soon

B-Stealth 04-28-2016 04:41 PM

I would keep it simple 1st, lightly rub filet with olive oil. Season with Canadian Chicken Seasoning, heat non stick pan, melt some butter and cook each side prob less than 1 minute.

You want the center to be COLD, Tuna turns to garbage when it's over cooked. Tuna is best cooked rare, Medium Rare is ok but not great, and Medium is garbage.

If you don't have a little blood on the plate right after cooking then you prob "burned" the blood which creates the nasty taste. (This is true for other fishes as well)

I learned everything above from a very successful Lebanese chef and restaurant owner in LC.

bjhooper82 04-28-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 793730)

X1,000!!!! Eat it raw dipped in ponzu sauce! Can't be beat

latravcha 04-28-2016 06:31 PM

If you over cook it it will make the best tuna salad you have ever eaten.

Bluechip 04-28-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latravcha (Post 793748)
If you over cook it it will make the best tuna salad you have ever eaten.

X 2..... I love tuna salad.

simplepeddler 04-28-2016 07:08 PM

I cook them right over the briqutte starter thing.......I don't poor the charcoals out......just put a well oiled grill over the hot as hell charcoal and grill it just a few second on each side.......

then, we top them with a white wine whistershire, butter and minced garlic and then fresh cut green onions

B-Stealth 04-28-2016 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 793753)
I cook them right over the briqutte starter thing.......I don't poor the charcoals out......just put a well oiled grill over the hot as hell charcoal and grill it just a few second on each side.......

then, we top them with a white wine whistershire, butter and minced garlic and then fresh cut green onions

Now that sounds like a good grilling idea, I heard beef Steaks are good that way as well. Need to try it out.

simplepeddler 04-28-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 793758)
Now that sounds like a good grilling idea, I heard beef Steaks are good that way as well. Need to try it out.

Yep........it works........

duckman1911 04-28-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 793753)

White wine, worcestershire (yes I looked at the bottle), butter, garlic and green onions. The stuff sweet dreams are made of :)

saute86 04-28-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 793715)

Like everyone is saying less is more. Let the tuna shine through. I like to mix a little bit of sweet chili sauce, a splash of teriyaki sauce, a good amount of ponzu, a juiced lemon, a shot of rice wine vinegar and a handful of chopped pickled ginger. I coat the tuna with fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground sea salt spray both sides with olive oil spray. I get a cast iron pot smoking white hot and sear a 1 inch tuna about 30 seconds a side. I remove from the pan and let the fish rest for 5 minutes before eating. I cook salmon the same way but I slice the salmon scallopini style. (thin 1/2 inch bias cut) Salmon is best cooked medium rare also if its fresh.

saute86 04-28-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saute86 (Post 793781)
Like everyone is saying less is more. Let the tuna shine through. I like to mix a little bit of sweet chili sauce, a splash of teriyaki sauce, a good amount of ponzu, a juiced lemon, a shot of rice wine vinegar and a handful of chopped pickled ginger. I coat the tuna with fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground sea salt spray both sides with olive oil spray. I get a cast iron pot smoking white hot and sear a 1 inch tuna about 30 seconds a side. I remove from the pan and let the fish rest for 5 minutes before eating. I cook salmon the same way but I slice the salmon scallopini style. (thin 1/2 inch bias cut) Salmon is best cooked medium rare also if its fresh.

I forgot to say the sauce is served at room temp over fish. Just treat it like a vinaigrette. It is great served over a bed of mescline baby lettuce mix.

fishfighter 04-29-2016 10:12 AM

mm mmm

thanks guys looks like i will have to try it again several different ways