SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   drilling rig effect on deer hunting spot? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61924)

ahlangle 10-05-2015 01:11 PM

drilling rig effect on deer hunting spot?

I'm fortunate enough to have some wells drilling on my farm, but before I put a box stand back in that field, not sure if its wise.

It is about a 50 acre hay field bordered by a lake on one side and woods on the others.

They'll be drilling throughout deer season and the plan is to spread some of the mud over part of field to plant clover. Sounds like good for the deer, but will they be used to the rig/noise/lights or will they avoid the field altogether?
Stand will be about 650 yards from the location.

bobo23 10-05-2015 02:15 PM

I had a rig on one of my leases. It basically ruined that area for the season. The deer aren't going anywhere and they will get used to the activity. But in my situation, it limited their daylight activity.

MathGeek 10-05-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 774878)
I'm fortunate enough to have some wells drilling on my farm, but before I put a box stand back in that field, not sure if its wise.

It is about a 50 acre hay field bordered by a lake on one side and woods on the others.

They'll be drilling throughout deer season and the plan is to spread some of the mud over part of field to plant clover. Sounds like good for the deer, but will they be used to the rig/noise/lights or will they avoid the field altogether?

It depends on if the equipment and the path the company uses to access it is close to the areas the deer want to be and the routes the deer take in and out.

I've had great hunting seasons a few hundred yards from drilling equipment that was regularly used, but the path the deer took in and out of the place where I shot them did not go near (< 100 yards) the dilling equipment or the road/driveway the company used to access it.

ahlangle 10-05-2015 02:46 PM

Rig is about 650 yds south of stand
and company's access rd is from south of rig location

DaPointIsDaBomb 10-05-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Leave that garhole alone til they quit drilling and take some of that oil money and go on a good hunt

swamp snorkler 10-06-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 774886)
Rig is about 650 yds south of stand
and company's access rd is from south of rig location

You'll be fine, deer will be use to the sounds and stuff. We had deer walk through a limestone fabrication yard during the middle of the day while we were working, they get use to that type of stuff.

Marque 10-09-2015 01:35 AM

If I were you I would go to the rig and tell the Co. Man and the Tool Pusher you are going to be hunting in the area and to ask their hands not to go walking around.

swamp snorkler 10-09-2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

I had to go work in our shop the past 2 days. I seen deer tracks in the breeze way between two of the shops. Deer will be there, go get one.

youmyboyblue 10-09-2015 07:48 AM

I have two Working wells on my land. One of my bow stands actually over looks the well area.

ahlangle 10-09-2015 09:30 AM

I'll tell company man to keep em on location.
After three back to back wells I'm sure the deer will be used to that rig there.

bjhooper82 10-09-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 775382)
I'll tell company man to keep em on location.
After three back to back wells I'm sure the deer will be used to that rig there.

And tell them to keep their trash picked up!

ahlangle 10-09-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 775389)
And tell them to keep their trash picked up!

Man I KNOW that'll never happen!