SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Steel toe work boots for grating (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45469)

mcjaredsandwich 06-30-2013 04:19 PM

Steel toe work boots for grating

I have some Justin's right now and have had them for almost 5 months. They're comfortable for the most part but grating is tearing them up pretty quick. Most of the grip ridges are gone and the bottom of the sole is starting to peel away.

For those who have experience with boots on grating, what brand do you find holds up the best but yet are comfortable? I'm willing to pay more if they'll last so I don't have to buy a new pair every 6 months. Thanks in advance.

Sammich

Moody 06-30-2013 04:24 PM

tried alot of different boots and Ariat has held up pretty good for me

jldsc 06-30-2013 04:35 PM

I worked derricks for a few years and the best i found to last on the grating was redwings...they just heavy and stiff..ive found the more comfortable and lighter boots just dont last as long...ive been wearing Cofra's for the last couple years and still on the same pair, have a pair for work and a pair for home...the lightest steel toe ive ever worn but couldnt tell you how they would hold to grating.

Sent From an Apple Tree.

Msucowpoke51 06-30-2013 04:42 PM

I work primarily on grating and i've worn doc martens (lasted 3 months), several pairs of justin's (liked them but like you said they got uncomfortable after 6 or so months), my last pair was Timberland PRO Helix, and the pair I have now are Timberland PRO Titan

The Helix and Titan are basically the same boot and they are the most comfortable boots i've ever worn ... They are holding up to the grating very well and are still just as comfortable as the day i got em, and I've had them for almost a year

The only reason I got a second pair of Timberlands is because my company buys us our boots, the first pair were still in great shape

I got them at Cotten's for around $130

Goooh 06-30-2013 05:42 PM

Ariat and Cat have been great to me on grating offshore and nonskid on ship, boat and barge decks with very high heat. The cats are the most comfortable boot I've owned, no break in needed, and I've worn red wing, docs, wolverines and ariat.

weedeater 06-30-2013 05:44 PM

lot of guys I work with swear by Timberland with titanium toe and they are good but the Redwings are also good and last on the grateing but tend to take longer to break in

Big Flounder 06-30-2013 06:20 PM

I've worn docs the last 6 or 7 years. I'm not on grating all day but I do my share of climbing up and down structures all day in the plants and they are all grating. They normally last me about 2 years.

RonnieF 06-30-2013 07:29 PM

I had one pair of Doc Martens (lace up). I got water clarifier or paraffin solvent on them. Even though I washed them off, when I got back out there 7 days later the leather was cracked through and through. These boots were brand new. My previous pair of Timberland lasted almost 3 years but I use Dr. Scholes insoles too.

"W" 06-30-2013 07:40 PM

Grading is like grading cheese....none last long

In 14 years... best i have used were Justins but have a pair of Arait right now

bgizzle 06-30-2013 07:50 PM

In my expuerience definitely redwings on grating. Never worked 7 and 7 in production so I don't know how much they see grating but I used to work offshore alot I hated Georgia mud dogs. Then had to go to lace ups for a while cuz I broke my ankle. Stuck wit redwings and they never failed me

Montauk17 06-30-2013 10:44 PM

I had some justins and doc martins that did not last long....bought some redwings and they are the most comfortable and still in good shape. They are pretty expensive though.

yigodiver 07-01-2013 05:53 AM

Danner, the quarry model is a darn good boot. They tough to break in bbut hold up well.

Lake Chuck Duck 07-01-2013 06:47 AM

Ariats for me. I walk across a pretty good variety of terrain and my boots have held up amazingly. Rocks, assphault. stairs, ladders, grating, bicycle pedals, and stomped through caustic water many a time. No issues and its been over a year.

jdm4x43732 07-01-2013 08:27 AM

Artists didn't last for me, I even resoled em with good year soles they didn't last either. Twisted X are most comfortable but only last for 5-6 months too. I just got some Justin's to try out. Red wings hurt my feet but even as a roughneck could get at least a yr out of ema pair. Jldsc can't give advice on the subject cause he hasn't had to do manual labor in the past few years!!! Haha. One of the other things that will tear em up is standing on the too of dump valves and turning on top of it and ripping a hole in em.

bouyoop 07-01-2013 09:39 AM

Red wings by far the best I've ever worn. They do suck to break in tho.

Vermillionaire 07-01-2013 09:49 AM

+1 for red wing pecos

jlincecum 07-01-2013 10:24 AM

this is a tough environment we live in. Everyones feet are different, so you need to find the ones most comfortable to you. If you are "working" in this environment you will be doing good to get a year. Just have to get it in your head that boots dont last long out here and be prepared to replace them.