SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   House build!!! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40666)

Big Flounder 01-24-2013 07:52 PM

House build!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45370

Well, it has been about 6 months of planning but tomorrow is the day we break ground! We are so excited! About 10 minutes after I took this pic some guys pulled up and started unloading some equipment. Hopefully they don't have to dig down 2' to find dry ground. Top of the slab has to be at 3'. Scrapping off only 6" will put me at 560 yards of dirt! I'll be crossing my fingers and praying tomorrow.

weedeater 01-24-2013 08:03 PM

Break out the pocket book.... haha
I hauled 90-14yrd of clay to get the front of pad up 1' and back up 3' then another 10-14yrd loads of sand for forms and still have 30+ loads to haul to dress out, another words I have dug someone a nice pit

Big Flounder 01-24-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 540690)
I hauled 90-14yrd of clay to get the front of pad up 1' and back up 3' then another 10-14yrd loads of sand for forms and still have 30+ loads to haul to dress out, another words I have dug someone a nice pit

Man that is some great words of encouragement!! I hope that is not what I have to deal with. I don't know who came up with the saying cheaper then dirt cause that stuff is far from cheap!

weedeater 01-24-2013 09:20 PM

Oh don't worry about the dirt because that is the cheap part:eek:...haha
Your place looks pretty level so hopefully you won't have so much to move in.

Big Flounder 01-24-2013 09:40 PM

For the most part it is level but it is very saturated. The dirt guy met us out there today and said he can defiantly not put his 14 yard truck on it loaded. So we have to start with the driveway to get him to the pad.

fishinpox 01-24-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Flounder (Post 540714)
Man that is some great words of encouragement!! I hope that is not what I have to deal with. I don't know who came up with the saying cheaper then dirt cause that stuff is far from cheap!

Dirt is cheaper than concrete! Just make sure they build that pad in lifts

Gerald 01-25-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 540690)

Do yourself a favor and use some good quality dirt spread out on the top 1" so you can grow some grass. If you have mostly clay you will be struggling for several years to get the grass to grow. Putting out sod is great but cost a lot, and still needs something good under it for the grass to grow.

swamp snorkler 01-25-2013 07:22 AM

Is that trailer going to be gone after you build your house?

Big Flounder 01-25-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 540790)
Is that trailer going to be gone after you build your house?

I wish. But there is a 8' fence going from the back corners of the house around the back of the property so neither the double wide or the single wide will be visible. I have nothing against trailors but those people do live like Sanford and son. They were not there when we purchased the property. The shop you see to the left is a guy in a trailor but he will be building too. Nice and peaceful back there though. Nothing but cows, horses, and deer.

cricket 01-25-2013 09:41 AM

I'm in my final stages of building. You should come look at my house and I can give you names of some good contractors. I was lucky. My house pad was done when we bought the land.

Big Flounder 01-25-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 540852)
I'm in my final stages of building. You should come look at my house and I can give you names of some good contractors. I was lucky. My house pad was done when we bought the land.

I would love to but lake Charles is a little out the way! I hired a builder so he has all of his own contractors. I did get my own dirt though cause the quote he gave me was about double. We have probably looked at about 50 houses over the last 6 months just getting differant ideas on cabinets, floors, hardware, ect. You get a better like that instead of looking at it on shelves in the stores.

Big Flounder 03-26-2013 08:02 PM

Well!!! I have finally started. I closed on the construction loan on the 22nd of January and finally started on dirt work last Wednesday. I've had to make a very hard decision to contract this thing out myself to get the ball rolling cause I was heading nowhere fast. So after 876 yards of dirt I will be setting up the form for the slab tomorrow and digging my footings the next day. Let the fun start!

Big Flounder 03-26-2013 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48084
Attachment 48085
Attachment 48086

weedeater 03-26-2013 08:08 PM

if 876 yrds is all you use you are lucky...... I am at around 1680 yrds and still have a few for finishing my yrd out....... good luck with your project

Big Flounder 03-26-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 564141)
if 876 yrds is all you use you are lucky...... I am at around 1680 yrds and still have a few for finishing my yrd out....... good luck with your project

Yeah I know! That's just to get started. Not counting my parking pad, driveway, and dressing up the rest of the property at the end. That 17 days of straight rain when I first closed and 2 or 3 days a week after that really put me behind.

weedeater 03-26-2013 08:17 PM

you are getting started at a good time though and it will go up fast... rain set me back and it took 2 months to finish my brick

fishinpox 03-26-2013 09:19 PM

i thought you hired a contractor? give me a call if you need some good subs

Big Flounder 03-26-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 564166)
i thought you hired a contractor? give me a call if you need some good subs

I did but I learned that he was not a very honest person. He cost me a lot of time and money and you can see the progress I made in 2 months.

wtretrievers 03-27-2013 08:53 AM

Bout time!!!! You can't hide money!!!

Big Flounder 03-27-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 564284)
Bout time!!!! You can't hide money!!!

You must be talking about pox! You know me I'm a damn scaffold builder! I'm scraping pennies fool!