SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bunk Board Slicks (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58554)

marty f 02-23-2015 01:20 PM

Bunk Board Slicks

does any one use them? pros cons?

http://www.hannarv.com/Content/files...cks-marine.jpg
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...735e850574.jpg

http://www.surfixinc.com/extra-wide-trailer-glide.jpg

jl8200 02-23-2015 01:37 PM

I wonder too. Seems like they would mess the gel coat up on a fiberglass boat.

lil bubba 02-23-2015 02:01 PM

I don't know about those but I spray down my carpet on my boards once a year with lemon pledge and it flys off...I have to leave the hook on the front till the back end of the boat hits the water on a steep launch or the boat will slide off before the trailer hits the water...Its a 2008 dunked 3 times a week and still has original carpet and boards...

Reefman 02-23-2015 02:04 PM

If you have an aluminum boat on bunks ya better use those slicks!!! The wood treatment used today eats away at metal...ask me how I know....:pissed:

On fiberglass the slicks do make it easier to launch as well as taking out. Careful launching, it doesn't take much to get that boat moving off of trailer.

marty f 02-23-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 741575)
I don't know about those but I spray down my carpet on my boards once a year with lemon pledge and it flys off...I have to leave the hook on the front till the back end of the boat hits the water on a steep launch or the boat will slide off before the trailer hits the water...Its a 2008 dunked 3 times a week and still has original carpet and boards...

Sooooo Im guessing you do this with wet boards? obviously you launch the boat (getting the boards wet) then spray them down, and it adheres to wet boards? or do you go fishing all day come back spray your boards, load your boat?

lil bubba 02-23-2015 02:26 PM

When I'm going to spray I don't go back as far and when I hit the brakes the boat comes off with little water on boards . After fishing I spray the bunks down ...I use 1 can for both the boards 6 feet long , just keep spraying till can empty...A mechanic where I bought the boat told me about this and at first I thought he was half chocked but it works...After I spray it down I only back in enough till the bottom of the bunk touches so they don't get wet and the pledge can soak in and it slides rite up...

RichWentFishing504 02-23-2015 02:30 PM

I use them on my trailer. Aluminum boat. Slides right on. I don't take my front hook off until the rear is in the water.

marty f 02-23-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 741578)
When I'm going to spray I don't go back as far and when I hit the brakes the boat comes off with little water on boards . After fishing I spray the bunks down ...I use 1 can for both the boards 6 feet long , just keep spraying till can empty...A mechanic where I bought the boat told me about this and at first I thought he was half chocked but it works...After I spray it down I only back in enough till the bottom of the bunk touches so they don't get wet and the pledge can soak in and it slides rite up...

I think Ill give that a try, what size of boat are you doing this with?

lil bubba 02-23-2015 02:34 PM

I have a 16 foot carolina skiff JVX...The hull is lil over 900# and motors around 250# with 2 batteries troll motor and all the other junk you got to carry...

keakar 02-23-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty f (Post 741581)
I think Ill give that a try, what size of boat are you doing this with?

or just chill out for about ten minutes in the parking lot after and drink a beer then go pick up the boat, once it soaks into the dry carpet, which only takes a few minutes, the water wont be absorbed or be able to push it away.

I do the same thing but with silicone spray, I will have to see which one is cheaper to use lol.

marty f 02-23-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keakar (Post 741586)
or just chill out for about ten minutes in the parking lot after and drink a beer .

screw that!! if my boats in the water, im going FISHING!!! :smokin:;)

marty f 02-23-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 741582)
I have a 16 foot carolina skiff JVX...The hull is lil over 900# and motors around 250# with 2 batteries troll motor and all the other junk you got to carry...

hmm Im pushing 3000 lbs w/boat motor fuel 4 batt and everything else. :confused: might be tough to pull your trick

Will"E"Fish 02-23-2015 03:48 PM

8 " on the end of outside bunks is all I 've ever covered with teflon. No problem launching or loading.

netmkr 02-23-2015 03:59 PM

Been using the surfix glides 3 yrs now on 20ft aluminum boat Make sure your bow hook is attached before backing down ramp to launch or after when picking up boat. These things really work well. Can push boat off trailer even when bunks are dry

alphaman 02-23-2015 04:59 PM

they will eventually cut a grove in you gelcoat!! I saw a boat at the glass shop getting the bottom redone because of these buck slicks

marty f 02-23-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 741607)
they will eventually cut a grove in you gelcoat!! I saw a boat at the glass shop getting the bottom redone because of these buck slicks

Yeah that was a concern I had as well. I think Ill give the pledge thing a shot

Hydro 02-23-2015 07:50 PM

Get some Liquid Rollers but beware !!!

That stuff is crazy slick and you must be tied on to the trailer backing down otherwise you will make the funny papers :D ...

Its almost too slick, I could barely get back on the trailer for a while because the boat would slide backwards when you walk towards the bow . Ended up having to leave it in gear a couple of times just to hook up the winch ...

Thanks,
Hydro

BGcoreg 02-23-2015 08:23 PM

I used some pvc boards from stines. I love it, I screwed them down into the existing bunks. The pvc boards are 1x4, 8 footers..

Goooh 02-23-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will"E"Fish (Post 741596)
8 " on the end of outside bunks is all I 've ever covered with teflon. No problem launching or loading.

No worries with point loading your hull?

speck-chaser 02-23-2015 10:05 PM

I sell a 1/2"x 4"x20' composite/plastic edging at my nursery. Me and some of my buddies have used it for our pro-drives and aluminum boats. Works great. Boat slides good in or out of the water