SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   1998 Yammie prop help!!!! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3432)

007 09-24-2009 09:20 PM

1998 Yammie prop help!!!!

I've already pulled the nut and cotter pin.........everyone else that I've talked to said that it should just slide off! .........it ain't happening I've tried everything...........Any yammie owners out there with the same problem?

bay_slayer 09-24-2009 09:22 PM

get a 3 jaw puller from autozone and pull it off. It should slide right off after the nut is off it might just be seized up.

Reel Bender 09-24-2009 09:23 PM

and I thought I was going to get recommend Louie.
Well, he may be able to supply a bigger hammer.

bay_slayer 09-24-2009 09:29 PM

I like to try the softer approach first...............if that dont work...:work::work::work:

speck-chaser 09-24-2009 09:31 PM

there should be another washer or two before the prop comes off. THe second washer should have built in splines on one end. At least mine does,just changed my prop last week.

bay_slayer 09-24-2009 09:33 PM

you are correct, but that shouldnt stop the prop from coming off the output shaft. Those washers will come off with the prop.

Reel Bender 09-24-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bay_slayer (Post 53218)
I like to try the softer approach first...............if that dont work...:work::work::work:

We know you like to embrace your feminine side.:eek::grinpimp:

bay_slayer 09-24-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Bender (Post 53223)
We know you like to embrace your feminine side.:eek::grinpimp:

and you like to emabrace RR's schlong:eek::grinpimp:

Reel Bender 09-24-2009 09:40 PM

I think you got me confused with a much shorter guy.

flounder_smacker 09-24-2009 10:31 PM

if its corroded bad then a puller might be the way. if you hit on it and pry you could possibly damage the prop shaft seals. other than the puller put some aluminum brightener uncut in a spray bottle and spray into the spines of the prop letting it seep into it and it may eat the buildup. when you put it back on make sure you put plenty marine grease on everything. i use 2-4-C its made by mercury and has teflon in it and wont seize

Gerald 09-25-2009 01:30 AM

Are we talking about a 15 hp or 200 hp prop?

I would think it should just slide off.......so something is holding the prop to the shaft.

Rust, crud, etc???

Get a rubber mallet and give the prop hub [not the blades] a few good licks to see if that will loosen the prop so you can slid it off. You might also try tilting the engine up so that the prop shaft is pointing upwards and putting some "liquid wrench" or other product that will disolve rust. This might help free up the prop.

Getting a wheel puller to fit on a prop might be a problem....not sure if there is room.

Reel Bender 09-25-2009 04:33 PM

Some guys I know making a living on the water say don't use grease if you spend a lot of time in shallow water. The grease will hold the sand and will make it difficult to remove. They say just pull your prop more often.