SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Weirs (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9264)

"W" 04-07-2010 10:56 AM

The Weirs

After last nights CCA Seminar I found someone who agreeded with me on the Weirs. I talked about this a while back and got hammerded on the Issue. Last Night EriK Rue agreed that we should move the 250 to 500 or 1000 feet to give the fish a fare chance! His 4 boats caught 4,ooo reds so think how many the other guide company's catch!!! I would say we are taking about 20,000 reds a year and I bet half are caught at the weirs. So if you take the guides 20,000 and add the publics I would say its about 35,000 a year:shaking:

Jordan 04-07-2010 12:56 PM

reds f*** like mosquitoes !!!!!!!

Fishmaster 04-07-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 136957)

:eek::eek:

:rotfl:

all star rod 04-07-2010 01:29 PM

W, you always talk about the weirs in a negative way but you always visit them on your fishing trips.......If I am not mistaken, I think you were at them on your last recent fishing trip.........You even got a souviner from them to!!!:*****:

all star rod 04-07-2010 01:30 PM

Also, if Rue agrees with you then why does he still fish the weirs??????????????

Bluechip 04-07-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 136972)
Also, if Rue agrees with you then why does he still fish the weirs??????????????

That is what I was wondering....

wtretrievers 04-07-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 136972)

$$$$$$$ thats why

SULPHITE 04-07-2010 02:52 PM

Rue claimed he does not fish the weirs...his #'s come from the lake.

Bluechip 04-07-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 137001)

If those numbers are coming from the lake, then we will have to quit fishing it also....:D

Purple Back 04-07-2010 03:14 PM

I hate the weirs, and yes Eric's boats do fish them but that doesn't mean they can not catch them elsewhere. They only go when no one is around.

I say they put a 1/4 mile barrier around them f***ing weirs. That way the redfish can actually have a chance.

"W" 04-07-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 136957)

You have no clue bud

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Back (Post 137016)
I hate the weirs, and yes Eric's boats do fish them but that doesn't mean they can not catch them elsewhere. They only go when no one is around.

I say they put a 1/4 mile barrier around them f***ing weirs. That way the redfish can actually have a chance.

Only bad thing is do we want to save the fish or unleash the fools....... Im all for protecting our Reds and give them a fare chance....but if we block the weirs then we unleash the trolls into the lake...this could back fire on us

Purple Back 04-07-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 137022)
You have no clue bud

Only bad thing is do we want to save the fish or unleash the fools....... Im all for protecting our Reds and give them a fare chance....but if we block the weirs then we unleash the trolls into the lake...this could back fire on us

LOL, this is very true.......Didn't think about that. It is probably better to keep all the yoyo's consolidated in one spot.:cool:

cmdrost 04-07-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 137022)

Oh I LOVE the double standards that exist on this board!! Why do you care??? The same several of you saying stop fishing the weirs are the same ones that say you can't hurt the fish populations with a rod and reel. Explain that to me please!

Purple Back 04-07-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrost (Post 137026)
Oh I LOVE the double standards that exist on this board!! Why do you care??? The same several of you saying stop fishing the weirs are the same ones that say you can't hurt the fish with a rod and reel. Explain that to me please!

Without the weirs these people could not catch a fish on a rod and reel.
:D

Mediumheavyaction6'6 04-07-2010 03:43 PM

Just make the entire lake artificial only....that will weed out most of the trolls and make fishing enjoyable for a select few.

all star rod 04-07-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Oh I LOVE the double standards that exist on this board!! Why do you care??? The same several of you saying stop fishing the weirs are the same ones that say you can't hurt the fish populations with a rod and reel. Explain that to me please!

:*****:

W's disclaimer:
"only at the weirs can you hurt the fish populations with a rod and reel"

Ray 04-07-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 (Post 137028)
Just make the entire lake artificial only....that will weed out most of the trolls and make fishing enjoyable for a select few.

That will never happen... in our lifetime.

"W" 04-07-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

You will not fish out the population with rod n reel......but fishing weirs has not a ounce of skill or talent involved. NO sport in fishing the weirs..Your not even giving the fish a chance to leave ..... You take all the guys on Sat who fish the weirs......... Count there fish.....Then set them all out on Sunday but Weirs off limits and count there fish............. :D..

I bet you would not have a quarter of fish caught............ Why because skill and knowledge would come to play

Mediumheavyaction6'6 04-07-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 137051)
That will never happen... in our lifetime.

no, but it is fun to dream!

huntin fool 04-07-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Chas me and you would get along just fine.
they change there minds on this board like a chick changes clothes

all star rod 04-07-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 137059)
You will not fish out the population with rod n reel......but fishing weirs has not a ounce of skill or talent involved. NO sport in fishing the weirs..Your not even giving the fish a chance to leave ..... You take all the guys on Sat who fish the weirs......... Count there fish.....Then set them all out on Sunday but Weirs off limits and count there fish............. :D..

I bet you would not have a quarter of fish caught............ Why because skill and knowledge would come to play

I agree 1000%.......Here is an EXAMPLE below of a few very happy fisherman with their catch......especially the one in the LSU hat!:*****:
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/atta...1&d=1264465859

Reel Bender 04-07-2010 07:34 PM

I seem to remember someone saying they never fish for, reds it's toooo easy and not fishing. However, that same someone sure has posted a lot of pics of reds lately.

all star rod 04-07-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reel Bender (Post 137105)
I seem to remember someone saying they never fish for, reds it's toooo easy and not fishing. However, that same someone sure has posted a lot of pics of reds lately.

Remember that famous ole saying: Do as I say, not as I Do.......:D

Salty 04-07-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 137001)

I do believe somebody's a lyin'.............. :rolleyes:

Salty 04-07-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 137099)
I agree 1000%.......Here is an EXAMPLE below of a few very happy fisherman with their catch......especially the one in the LSU hat!:*****:
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/atta...1&d=1264465859

Reckon W knows the Boga has a handle? :eek:

Reel Bender 04-07-2010 07:57 PM

He wants to make darn sure that rascal don't get away.

all star rod 04-07-2010 08:02 PM

I just think he was too excited and did not think about the proper way to hold the BOGA.......

Salty 04-07-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadly D (Post 137130)
:eek::*****::*****::*****:

"W" 04-07-2010 08:11 PM

If you would post the FACTS with the Pics you would have more info....... Yes I did fish the weirs in Jan ........Did you mention that we Tagged over 150 reds in 3 days?

all star rod 04-07-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 137139)
If you would post the FACTS with the Pics you would have more info....... Yes I did fish the weirs in Jan ........Did you mention that we Tagged over 150 reds in 3 days?

I bet ya'll kept ya'll limit of REDS.......So I guess it is OK for keep your limit of reds at the weirs only if you tag and release some extra one! BTW, I could care less if ya'll kept what was legal.....Nothing wrong with that.
I just think if is funny how you always bash people that fish the weirs and you have probably fished the weirs more that anyone on the site this year.

"W" 04-07-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 137154)
I bet ya'll kept ya'll limit of REDS.......So I guess it is OK for keep your limit of reds at the weirs only if you tag and release some extra one! BTW, I could care less if ya'll kept what was legal.....Nothing wrong with that.
I just think if is funny how you always bash people that fish the weirs and you have probably fished the weirs more that anyone on the site this year.

Well lets see........ All in All......1 time limited out a on reds at Weirs

1/22/10-15 reds Lake
1/25/10-15 reds Only Full Limit taken at Weirs
2/5/10-10 reds Marsh
2/6/10- 20 reds Lake
3/19/10-10 reds Lake

Rest of the these were taken in the lake and marsh
out of these trips there were 210 redfish tagged and released;)

QUACKHEAD 04-07-2010 08:57 PM

Why wait for some law to be written and passed. IMHO I think you guy's should back, back, back up at least 1/2 a mile from the weirs..... that way I don't have to wait to get my limit and get out of there.:eek::*****::*****:I say if its legal, so be it. Why hate because some guy likes reds on the BBQ.

LaAngler 04-07-2010 09:08 PM

well judging by the # of rat reds i caught lately, they in good shape.

also, think about the thousands of bull reds that spawn offshore. not every redfish in the calcasieu estuary swims those bayous

tumbleweed 04-09-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

but fishing weirs has not a ounce of skill or talent involved. NO sport in fishing the weirs..Your not even giving the fish a chance to leave

I have never been to "the weirs" so I am a bit confused. Why can't the fish leave the area? What makes it so easy to catch redfish there? You will have to excuse my ignorance on this issue.

eman 04-09-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumbleweed (Post 137775)
I have never been to "the weirs" so I am a bit confused. Why can't the fish leave the area? What makes it so easy to catch redfish there? You will have to excuse my ignorance on this issue.

Never fished em either .But that is a lil over dramatazation about the fish not being able to leave. The weirs create current when the tide moves and the reds love to feed in the current. There are many boats at the weirs when the reds are running that you have to wait in line to get to the (best) spots. The fish can come and go as they want though.
the weirs are no different than any other good choke point that provides current for the reds to feed in.
But w/ only a few weirs on a lake w/ very few other spots that create current ,Everyone stacks up in the small areas around them.

"W" 04-09-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman (Post 137783)
Never fished em either .But that is a lil over dramatazation about the fish not being able to leave. The weirs create current when the tide moves and the reds love to feed in the current. There are many boats at the weirs when the reds are running that you have to wait in line to get to the (best) spots. The fish can come and go as they want though.
the weirs are no different than any other good choke point that provides current for the reds to feed in.
But w/ only a few weirs on a lake w/ very few other spots that create current ,Everyone stacks up in the small areas around them.

Eman you are close but not on the money... Weirs hold lots of fish but the problem is this is the only way in and out of the Marsh for them. They have 3 places to come and leave out of on the whole east side. Reds move into the marsh and out of the Marsh certain times of the year. This is where they get rushed by anglers. They only have a 50ft gap to escape and if there is any type of bait they will hang around...... Im not saying to make them off limits just extend the no fish zone to the end of the gap...where they can have a better chance to leave

all star rod 04-09-2010 01:43 PM

In addition, maybe they should make it illegal to pass thru the weirs! However, I am sure that would make the fiberglass repair shops very
unhappy.....:*****::*****:

Dink 04-09-2010 02:56 PM

Ol Renee' .......always rubbin salt in wounds.............

all star rod 04-09-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 137845)
Ol Renee' .......always rubbin salt in wounds.............

PINK, I have no idea what you are talkin about........

speckdaddy 04-09-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 137809)
In addition, maybe they should make it illegal to pass thru the weirs! However, I am sure that would make the fiberglass repair shops very
unhappy.....:*****::*****:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

speckdaddy 04-09-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckdaddy (Post 137940)
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hey hey hey **** em

Hebert 04-10-2010 01:57 PM

W why do you want to regulate other people's fun? you sound like a F***ing liberal... you kill more fish out of that lake than most people do..YOU should regulate yourself instead of worrying about other people...its people like you that think you own that lake when in fact you don't own S**T. you think that because you spend alot of money and time on it that everyone else is trespassing on your lake..just like most guides do...hell you don't even give a S**t about reds cuz you mainly fish for trout!

so why try to end other people's fun that may not be able to get out on that lake as much as you do and when they do , going to the weirs with their kids or friends is almost a sure bet to catch some fish? why try to stop that? why not rail against the guides that are pulling the big numbers out everyday? your pathetic attempts at "conservation" with your lil tags don't mean nothing when you are taking more fish out of that lake that most people do.....why don't you just go fish and mind your own damn business?

"W" 04-10-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebert (Post 138210)
W why do you want to regulate other people's fun? you sound like a F***ing liberal... you kill more fish out of that lake than most people do..YOU should regulate yourself instead of worrying about other people...its people like you that think you own that lake when in fact you don't own S**T. you think that because you spend alot of money and time on it that everyone else is trespassing on your lake..just like most guides do...hell you don't even give a S**t about reds cuz you mainly fish for trout!

so why try to end other people's fun that may not be able to get out on that lake as much as you do and when they do , going to the weirs with their kids or friends is almost a sure bet to catch some fish? why try to stop that? why not rail against the guides that are pulling the big numbers out everyday? your pathetic attempts at "conservation" with your lil tags don't mean nothing when you are taking more fish out of that lake that most people do.....why don't you just go fish and mind your own damn business?

LOL...... 1st off I release 4 times more than I keep! You dont see the pics or trips were we catch 150 trout and dont keep any....:shaking:

2nd Im not trying to ruin anyone fun but like rue stated the other night, (were all guilty of fishing there) How long will it last? How many is too many? I can go by there 3 days a week and find 2 or 3 boats outlawing behind the signs...... I would place 10,000 dollars that 1/2 the limits coming from the weirs are in the posted area. I never clam to own the lake. If were taking 35,000 or 40,000 reds a year at the weirs just think if we extended the posted area 500 more yards we could save 15,000 of those reds a year.

Im just looking down the road for our fishing. Now If you spent the time on the water like I do you would see the number of fish that come out of there. Like I posted above I had one day this year where I took 15 red limit from the weirs. every other red I caught and keep in boat which year to date is 95 reds in my boat were all caught in lake but 15

We have tagged and released god knows how many....we have several caught and called in already.....

If you have guides talking about it ,Who get paid to catch fish...You think it might be a problem..... I dont consider myself a greedy fisherman at all....but I know I only keep 12 -18 inch trout and release just about everything else....

all star rod 04-10-2010 06:24 PM

W, catching fish at the weirs have been lasting a while. BTW, if you are so concerned, do not fish there your 1 time a year as you say you do and save your so called one fishing trip three man limit of 15.............

Salty 04-10-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 138247)
LOL...... 1st off I release 4 times more than I keep! You dont see the pics or trips were we catch 150 trout and dont keep any....:shaking:

2nd Im not trying to ruin anyone fun but like rue stated the other night, (were all guilty of fishing there) How long will it last? How many is too many? I can go by there 3 days a week and find 2 or 3 boats outlawing behind the signs...... I would place 10,000 dollars that 1/2 the limits coming from the weirs are in the posted area. I never clam to own the lake. If were taking 35,000 or 40,000 reds a year at the weirs just think if we extended the posted area 500 more yards we could save 15,000 of those reds a year.

Im just looking down the road for our fishing. Now If you spent the time on the water like I do you would see the number of fish that come out of there. Like I posted above I had one day this year where I took 15 red limit from the weirs. every other red I caught and keep in boat which year to date is 95 reds in my boat were all caught in lake but 15

We have tagged and released god knows how many....we have several caught and called in already.....

If you have guides talking about it ,Who get paid to catch fish...You think it might be a problem..... I dont consider myself a greedy fisherman at all....but I know I only keep 12 -18 inch trout and release just about everything else....

I think the man just wants you to fish and ****. :p :smokin:

adamsfence 04-10-2010 10:22 PM

I think if the guides are worried about it than they should stop fishing them. Most people don't go get a limit there everyday

Hebert 04-10-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 138351)
I think the man just wants you to fish and ****. :p :smokin:

pretty much lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 138367)
I think if the guides are worried about it than they should stop fishing them. Most people don't go get a limit there everyday

exactly..i have been to the weirs twice in my life and have personally caught a grand total ONE redfish...2 total from my boat....to have someone that rapes this fishery every chance he gets try to bring about new laws to curtail my fishing pisses me off

blackmamba 04-10-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Back (Post 137027)
Without the weirs these people could not catch a fish on a rod and reel.
:D

Here we go again..We got another one that things people that dont catch a ton of fish are yoyos and cant catch fish anywhere but the weirs...New Rule: If you havent been fishing your entire life and are not an expert you must stay off Purple Backs lake..There you go dude, this yoyo will stay off of your lake:shaking:

"W" 04-11-2010 07:00 AM

You guys are missing it by a mile............... Im glad the weirs are fishable ..it does keep a ton of YO YOs off the lake messing us up...... Not everyone who fishes that area are yo yos.......but here are some examples...

Guy with Offshore rods 7 in a boat with no trolling motor..... See me working a group of birds by myself(1 boat per set of birds) comes in on motor with no trolling motor throwing a 12lb cork with a dead shrimp at the birds....... NOW he just killed my fish bite...Yes my fish the ones i found 1st....

Or this one... a duel engine offshore boat heading to the weirs see me on a set of birds.....He comes up wind big motor sling a huge offshore rod and reel ..He killed my fish bite

here ya go..... On a reef drifting.. guy in a aluminum boat sees me catch a few while passing.... Im drifting south to north....HE DRIVES 4 boat lengths in front of me and cuts my drift. I said dude what are you doing....Im heading to the weirs but saw you catch a trout...wanted to stop and try........... He killed my fish bite...

Yes this is the kind of YO YOs the weirs attract.......So I rather keep them there...but I also would like to give the redfish a sporting chance

"W" 04-11-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 138367)

Also you dont see many guide boats fishing there..........Reds are way to easy to catch in the lake uless its a real windy day with tough fishing conditions... But 98% of the time guides are catching fish (reds) in the lake......