SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mad People today (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32296)

Salty 06-19-2012 02:17 AM

W, this cat is takin' you to class. Pay attention.

"W" 06-19-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 449532)
W, this cat is takin' you to class. Pay attention.

If you call that taking me to school...what do you call it when I smash you in collage football knowledge

longcast 06-19-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 449538)
If you call that taking me to school...what do you call it when I smash you in collage football knowledge

Really. That's the best you got. Sounds like a middle school come back. Lmao

drunken clam 06-19-2012 10:32 AM

does anyone have the 800 number to call??

rdenison 06-19-2012 12:00 PM

1-855-532-9955

meaux fishing 06-19-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 449538)

oh yeah...what you know about collage football

http://www.treasuredeventsofcharlott...Y_FOOTBALL.jpg

PBJ 06-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 449653)

I didn't have the heart to do that.

Duck Butter 06-20-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 449386)
1989. Do a quick Google search for Cameron creole watershed weirs and read the intro and purpose to some of those reports. 63000 acres of fresh and brackish marsh lost after the 30 ft dredging of the ship channel in the 1940s.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

63 THOUSAND ACRES:eek:!

That is what the weir is preventing.

Smalls knows what he is talking about and seems to be as much of an expert on the situation as there can be. He has been out there in THAT marsh trying to fix the problem that the ship channel and Rita caused. You do NOT want the marsh surrounding Big Lake to look like the marsh south of Leeville! Bye bye productive ecosystem, bye bye ducks, bye bye land!

cmcnabb 06-20-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 449653)

Thats funny right there

drunken clam 06-20-2012 10:51 AM

anyone have the 800 number?????

drunken clam 06-20-2012 10:52 AM

sorry didnt see answer to post..thanks

bmac 06-20-2012 12:14 PM

The fishing is pretty good in Leeville. Hell maybe the best thing would be to take the wiers down, let the marsh change to salt, lose land, let Big Lake get bigger. Bigger lake, spreads the pressure out. There. Problem solved. Send this to Jindal.

Smalls 06-20-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmac (Post 450079)
The fishing is pretty good in Leeville. Hell maybe the best thing would be to take the wiers down, let the marsh change to salt, lose land, let Big Lake get bigger. Bigger lake, spreads the pressure out. There. Problem solved. Send this to Jindal.

Hahaha, good joke. Oh wait.....you were joking right? I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I have done a lot of research on the subject, and since this thread, I've been doing alittle more in the direction of the affects of weirs as well. My stance on this argument is and will continue to be that we need those weirs. The evidence speaks for itself. When you step out into a marsh in this estuary with heavy organic matter in the soil, and all you see for miles is brackish and salt marsh vegetation, the system is not what it was. We may never see that marsh return to what it was, but then again, there is always hope......with proper management.

LouisianaSportsman 06-26-2012 02:07 PM

Just FYI to "W". The weirs have slots always or near always open for free flow of fish, shrimp, etc. Also, the state will open the main gates strictly for the free flow of fish, shrimp, etc. for estuary health and you are too closed minded to see. They aren't the devil. They understand both the need to maintain/revive marsh and keep the estuary healthy.

"W" 06-26-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisianaSportsman (Post 452934)
Just FYI to "W". The weirs have slots always or near always open for free flow of fish, shrimp, etc. Also, the state will open the main gates strictly for the free flow of fish, shrimp, etc. for estuary health and you are too closed minded to see. They aren't the devil. They understand both the need to maintain/revive marsh and keep the estuary healthy.

So now shrimp crabs and fish can swim up a 3ft flow of water ???

homerun 06-26-2012 03:42 PM

Are they ever gonna put rocks from super cut south towards and thru washout. That should control the tide from the ship channel which in turn help stop erosion behind weirs.

Smalls 06-26-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerun (Post 452991)
Are they ever gonna put rocks from super cut south towards and thru washout. That should control the tide from the ship channel which in turn help stop erosion behind weirs.

The weirs are not just there to stop erosion. The weirs are there to control salinities in the marsh.

homerun 06-26-2012 04:53 PM

Rocks on the channel would slow the inflow of salinity into the lake which in turn slow it into the marsh. When ship channel was first dug land was all the way down the channel besides old river(jetties) and weirs were not needed. First washout (got its name from washing out due to channel flow) disappeared then 9 mile to super cut. Just a thought

"W" 06-26-2012 05:09 PM

Super cut is just about gone,....next summer there will be no super cut...

Duck Butter 06-26-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 453034)
Super cut is just about gone,....next summer there will be no super cut...

its happening right before your eyes, erosion, saltwater intrusion, vegetation changes, what's next? One only needs to look further east to see this