SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offshore Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Offshore Report (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56150)

biggun 09-11-2014 11:19 AM

Offshore Report

2 Attachment(s)
Well Crawl79 and I could NOT find a 3rd partner.. So no diving for us...

Stopped at rollover and cast-netted hoping for some croakers.. Not to be..

No water movement. But on to plan B.. 15-20 count shrimp.

Got about 100 15-20's, a few lady fish and mullets..

Off we went.. Got to the gulf.. Weather man had it wrong. 1 ft's were 2-3's.

Well eased out and it was a realllllyyyyyyy choppy confused seas. was hoping it would lay down as it does later after sun gets high and the farther out we go. there was Nothing on the back side, kidney bleeding seas. but was able to stay at 20 knots.

Finally found a sweet spot by using trim tabs down. Well at about 8 miles started see broken patches of grass.

Well we start to drift the bigger patches looking for trips.. Well did this a while.. Was saw about 20 small trips. Eric(Crawl79) hooks into a large one.

We land a large trip.. Grass has baby AJ and albaco jack by the 100's. This is all in 40' of water.

Well we push on hoping to see more grass further out.. Got to Verm 60 water was gin clear. If is wasn't 2-3' sea probably could see Almost to the bottom.

Still could see about 30 down.. Caught the endangered reds snaps up to about 10#. Missed 2 small ling at blk 60 as they followed Crawls small snap..

Never could get to mangroves. So off we went back north hoping to catch up with the grass.

Finally found them but they are elongated and not every wide..

Start to drift grass again. Crawl catches a small aj.. as he reels if in here comes a nice 35# ling. I get a rod rigged with a jig. Down if down. I get a hook into him.. He spits it out. So miss a NICE Ling.. I'm down.. So again we drifting and see dozs of small trips..

Patch to patch we go. Crawl up on the front deck.. I'm running motor..

Finally a real nice trip runs out and follows Eric's gulp.. I cast to him and he inhales it.

Get him into boat .. High 5's. then back at it.. It's getting late. We on a nice patch and wham.. I had just mentioned to Eric I'm surprised with the water was awesome we weren't seeing any Mahi.. A few minutes later, here come 3 nice cows following Eric's jig.

He hooks a nice one the other 2 spook. I try getting a bait out to the others but they head back to the safety of the grass.

We tried a few more small patches but no legal trips..

I did catch a 32" ling before we call it a day.. We let the ling go..

Not a bad day.. We see probably 50 trips. about 8-12 legal size.. Could not get them to come out; i guess because it was rough.

If the weather man had get it right.. We could have smacked them.

Again all within 8-9 miles of rollover in 40' of water.

Again a great day and made a great young friend.

swamp snorkler 09-11-2014 11:41 AM

Nice report Biggun

Crawl79 09-11-2014 11:57 AM

Offshore Report

I had great trip! And the offshore weather reports were way off as we were expecting foot or less seas. We went out with lowered expectations once we met the 2-3 mixed seas. We never gave up and made the best of our trip which ended up with some nice catches and some great table fare!

Gunner is a great fisherman and teacher. I can't wait to try out some of the tactics I learned on my own boat. Before I was afraid to waste a day of trout fishing chasing tails. Now I know when conditions are right I should not hesitate. And even when conditions are so so if you keep plugging away you can make a trip just like with any other fishing.

Thanks again for the invite and look forward to more fishing and a dive trip in the future.

haoward 09-11-2014 12:02 PM

Is that boat launch big enough for a 24 foot offshore boat? And which rn is faster to getto deeper water fwc or rollover?

biggun 09-11-2014 02:24 PM

Haoward

In MHO, about the same. Not a lot of rigs out of FWC or rollover in the 30 mile range. The last 30 miles rigs are scheduled to come out sometime next yr.

Only rigs left are Verm 119/124. Next rigs are Verm. 164. I think to the east is 131 verm., & is still left. Nothing in Verm. 101, 102, E. C. 119. To the West E. C 88-89 are no longer there.

SAD, SAD, SAD. At 119/124 U in about 69-72' of water. Verm 164 , 90' or so of water. They do have a riser at 163 Verm.

Hoaward. Let me know if u need a partner. More rigs out of Rockefeller and Mermentau..

I'm at home until Sept 22. Then back to Prison in So. Tx for 16 days.

Biggun

meaux fishing 09-11-2014 02:29 PM

looks like a good trip to me Gunner

Goooh 09-11-2014 02:47 PM

Nice

jpeff31787 09-12-2014 08:44 AM

that place can definitely offer some awesome trips!! Has some of my most memorable as well

The shop in Broussard 09-13-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggun (Post 719692)
Haoward

In MHO, about the same. Not a lot of rigs out of FWC or rollover in the 30 mile range. The last 30 miles rigs are scheduled to come out sometime next yr.

Only rigs left are Verm 119/124. Next rigs are Verm. 164. I think to the east is 131 verm., & is still left. Nothing in Verm. 101, 102, E. C. 119. To the West E. C 88-89 are no longer there.

SAD, SAD, SAD. At 119/124 U in about 69-72' of water. Verm 164 , 90' or so of water. They do have a riser at 163 Verm.

Hoaward. Let me know if u need a partner. More rigs out of Rockefeller and Mermentau..

I'm at home until Sept 22. Then back to Prison in So. Tx for 16 days.

Biggun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dmtfish 09-21-2014 09:31 AM

Good report Gunner, got some good eating fish right there