SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   15 Trout Limit Discussion PUBLIC (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32102)

MathGeek 06-07-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 444149)
If you compare estuary to estuary, Big Lake can not hold a light to Baffin Bay for big trout. By big, I mean trout 9 lbs plus. All the studies in the world won't dispute that.

Of course, but the food chain dynamics are much different in Baffin Bay due to a combination of factors. Baffin Bay is a hypersaline estuary which creates a genetic predisposition towards larger fish because the relative osmoregulation energy expenses are lower for fish with a smaller surface area relative to their weight.

Species diversity is much lower in Baffin Bay than Calcasieu, and consequently spotted seatrout are much more inclined to cannibalism. The limit of ten between 15" and 25" is not letting the fish become overpopulated, because the larger fish are big enough to control the population of the smaller fish because the dinks become a primary food source for those trophy trout. In Baffin Bay, protecting the food source for the trophy trout is protecting the dinks. In Calcasieu, protecting the food source is protecting the shrimp and gulf menhaden.

Salty 06-07-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444162)
Of course, but the food chain dynamics are much different in Baffin Bay due to a combination of factors. Baffin Bay is a hypersaline estuary which creates a genetic predisposition towards larger fish because the relative osmoregulation energy expenses are lower for fish with a smaller surface area relative to their weight.

Species diversity is much lower in Baffin Bay than Calcasieu, and consequently spotted seatrout are much more inclined to cannibalism. The limit of five between 15" and 25" is not letting the fish become overpopulated, because the larger fish are big enough to control the population of the smaller fish because the dinks become a primary food source for those trophy trout. In Baffin Bay, protecting the food source for the trophy trout is protecting the dinks. In Calcasieu, protecting the food source is protecting the shrimp and gulf menhaden.

Hey, something that actually makes "cents" to me. :rolleyes: I'll buy that.

SaltERedneck 06-07-2012 10:34 AM

some good stuff on this thread.... keep it coming

jeffreyv05 06-07-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444162)

Species diversity is much lower in Baffin Bay than Calcasieu, and consequently spotted seatrout are much more inclined to cannibalism. The limit of five between 15" and 25" is not letting the fish become overpopulated, because the larger fish are big enough to control the population of the smaller fish because the dinks become a primary food source for those trophy trout. In Baffin Bay, protecting the food source for the trophy trout is protecting the dinks. In Calcasieu, protecting the food source is protecting the shrimp and gulf menhaden.

The limit is 10 fish per day in Baffin Bay, the 5 fish limit doesn't come into play until further south in the lower laguna madre (south of the landcut). However I can say that I have witnessed, and have heard many accounts of, the catching of a small trout in Baffin that is eaten by a large trout while reeling in. Its a fairly common occurrence.

Feesherman 06-07-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444150)

A similar analysis for species in the Calcasieu Estuary would be tremendously informative.

Indeed!

FREON 06-07-2012 01:03 PM

Plain and simple----There is no better body of water for big trout on the entire Gulf Coast from Brownsville to the Florida Keys than Baffin.

YellowMouth7 06-07-2012 03:32 PM

I just wanted to say Hi....I have not jumped in this thread yet so here I am.

:-)

"W" 06-07-2012 05:42 PM

So...I have revived plenty of emails back with response ...looks like every one but one person agrees with going back to 25

I also did not know but some people are actually working as we speak on the same thing we talked about....

So we might get our 25 before long

I think for sure you will see the 2-25inch slot go away..... This is not holding water from what I'm being told and could be gone with in the year

eman 06-07-2012 06:09 PM

Did you go to the LWFC meeting and request it be put on the agenda?

matt wahl 06-07-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 443753)
What is a contact ...number ,email???

If your serious about this , make a website with information then put the web address on the shirts.

swamp snorkler 06-07-2012 06:28 PM

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...eadConcert.gif[/QUOTE]

Jadams 06-07-2012 08:42 PM

I want guide limit 15 lol I don't wanna clean a 100 fish!

Big Kahunaz 06-07-2012 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35677

MathGeek 06-08-2012 05:59 PM

The figure below shows the change over time of the lake trout condition rating at Blue Mesa Reservoir. The trout condition is markedly reduced in 2009 because overpopulation caused a depletion of important food sources. The condition in 2010 and 2011 shows significant increases because the sporting limit on trout under 38" long has been completely removed, so sportsman can keep every one they catch, and because the Division of Wildlife has also started an agressive culling operation, removing thousands of trout with nets. Continued improvement in condition and growth rates are expected as the current management approach brings the population under control in the coming years.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...82092955_o.jpg

eman 06-08-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadams (Post 444512)
I want guide limit 15 lol I don't wanna clean a 100 fish!

This is how it all started.^^^

Jadams 06-08-2012 06:35 PM

Simple answer to problems do like the one smart thing the trxans did on Sabine lake ban oystering completely or allow it w tonging only can't wipe reef out tongs those dredge boats whipe the hole damn thing out.

"W" 06-11-2012 07:23 PM

So where do we stand on this issue ????
We know some guys paid lots of money to get there greed in place...

So now were about to fight back with biologist and facts

\,,/(^_^)\,,/ rock on!!

mikedatiger 06-11-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W";446460]So where do we stand on this issue ????
We know some guys paid lots of money to get there greed in place...

So now were about to fight back with [B][COLOR="Red
bioligiest[/COLOR][/B] and facts

\,,/(^_^)\,,/ rock on!!

Are biologiest similar to poltergeist or something like that?? :p

Duck Butter 06-11-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedatiger (Post 446465)
Are biologiest similar to poltergeist or something like that?? :p

In my best little girl voice - "They're Here"!:grinpimp: