SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Duck Gumbo Recipe (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25559)

Armand16 11-25-2011 07:40 PM

Duck Gumbo Recipe

1 Attachment(s)
Sunday being the last day of the first split and the predicted cold weather is makin for a good day to cook a wood duck gumbo.. This is a first for me in the gumbo dept but it don't seem too complicated I just want to skip any steps and see other ways of makin one.

Post up the best duck gumbo recipes! Thanks

DUCKGOGETTER 11-25-2011 07:58 PM

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but go to delta waterfowls website and under videos there's a video of kelly haydel making a 3 day duck gumbo. I know it takes 3 days to do it, but i tried it and done it step by step using my own ingredients and it's the best duck gumbo i ever tasted. Have done this every time i cook it.

Armand16 11-25-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I get by a computer.

Main question is what roux is preferred, how much roux for a think gumbo with 5 ducks, and what other meat do y'all throw in?

DUCKGOGETTER 11-25-2011 09:03 PM

I use karys roux just don't put to much or it will have a strong roux taste. I usually put half a small jar and if need i put a little more. I also use deer sausage if i don't have homemade i use the rabideauxs deer.

Armand16 11-25-2011 09:05 PM

My mom uses that kerys too. Must be some good stuff

DUCKGOGETTER 11-25-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armand16 (Post 354671)
my mom uses that kerys too. Must be some good stuff

next best thing to homemade the only one thing i can't cook. Just can't seem to get it without burning it.

DUCKGOGETTER 11-25-2011 09:07 PM

I know you want to cook a gumbo. But i have a awesome wood duck recipe i got out of a john faulse (sp) cookbook that's out of this world for wood ducks. You bake them with figs, and i've tried it and it's unreal.

Armand16 11-25-2011 09:11 PM

Always lookin for a new duck recipe. Love ducks and i love figs. Post that bad boy up.

Bluechip 11-25-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER (Post 354674)
I know you want to cook a gumbo. But i have a awesome wood duck recipe i got out of a john faulse (sp) cookbook that's out of this world for wood ducks. You bake them with figs, and i've tried it and it's unreal.

Yes, I have the same recipe out of one of his books also, its delicious, thats the only time the women of the house will eat it. I wouldn't put those woodies in a gumbo unless I had no other ducks...

Armand16 11-25-2011 09:17 PM

A pack of woodies was hiding from me at the bottom of the freezer. Probably a few years old so I figured I'll just throw em in a gumbo. But I might throw em in figs instead.

DUCKGOGETTER 11-25-2011 09:37 PM

I'm at work right now my book is at home let me see if i can find it online and i'll get it on here

Gerald 11-26-2011 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Duck breast (6) in gravy

This is not a gumbo...... but made with a 1/4 cup [oil & flour] rue. One med onion, small bell pepper (red), 1 stalk celery, ~ 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper.

Seasoned with......salt, black pepper, Tony's, galic and Texas Pet's sauce.

Slow cooked for ~ 1.5 hours after browning the breast and adding the vegges to the rue to soften before adding water to thin the gravy.

Armand16 11-27-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER (Post 354694)
I'm at work right now my book is at home let me see if i can find it online and i'll get it on here

Ever found that fig recipe?

Looks good Gerald