SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   CCA Reef Protection (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30920)

"W" 05-04-2012 05:13 PM

CCA Reef Protection

1st off I'm a member and support the CCA

How long will it take for the CCA to start fully protecting all our artificial reefs ?? That means you can not harm them or remove any thing that grows or forms on the artificial reefs

Why keep waiting money to improve our fishery if we don't have 100% control

This is for civil discussion not the Gill net....if you don't like the topic move on and don't read

calcutta37 05-04-2012 05:17 PM

I agree stop making new reefs if they are gonna get destroyed..

speckdaddy 05-04-2012 05:19 PM

My question is: lets say a reef is built in the oyster farmin area. Would oyster farmers tear up a reef made outta concrete??? Is that possible? I dont know how they collect oysters. Thats why im askin

calcutta37 05-04-2012 05:21 PM

The oysters will start growing on the concrete then they will come and harvest them..

"W" 05-04-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckdaddy (Post 428308)
My question is: lets say a reef is built in the oyster farmin area. Would oyster farmers tear up a reef made outta concrete??? Is that possible? I dont know how they collect oysters. Thats why im askin

They will not move the base but what attracts fish ,crabs and bait is what grows on that material

speckdaddy 05-04-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 428310)
They will not move the base but what attracts fish ,crabs and bait is what grows on that material

Thanx

"W" 05-04-2012 05:27 PM

Damn I got a reply back from David C with the CCA and he said he would send me a itemized bill on the funding of this reef..

(when he gets to his office )

speckdaddy 05-04-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 428312)
Damn I got a reply back from David C with the CCA and he said he would send me a itemized bill on the funding of this reef..

(when he gets to his office )

Bullcrap

"W" 05-04-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckdaddy (Post 428308)

Quote:

Originally Posted by speckdaddy (Post 428314)
Bullcrap

I can provide you an itemized bill. I am not at my computer now, but am glad to send you a list of our budgeted expenses.

Thank you.

David Cresson
CEO, CCA Louisiana
(225) 588-4823
Sent from my iPhone

ckinchen 05-04-2012 06:04 PM

The Cca is a non profit organization that is subject to audit by an independent CPA firm. As an owner of a CPA firm and an auditor I can promise you that they have controls in place and that good ole boy system that you think is in place is in fact non existent.

Is the organization perfect? No but at least we have organizations that provide us as fishermen with a voice.

I also want to make it clear that Salty Cajun as an organizations supports the Cca and their mission. I am all for an informative thread on how the organization can possibly be improved but keep in mind these are the views of only a select few people and the overwhelming majority of our members support the Cca. Please keep the thread constructive and professional.

I enjoyed visiting with the lake charles chapter board members at the banquet last night they should be commended on a great turnout.

"W" 05-04-2012 06:15 PM

Let me make this Clear...I support the CCA

But why do you keep placing reefs when you can't protect them

So why should we spend 450,000 on a reef and in 5 years the fire line can move on to it...then you have a parking lot again.....

My fight is stop placing reefs with our money if you can not protect them from being destroyed

Take Basket Reef.... This was never in the fire line.... But what happened ???? Line was moved for 2 weeks and the destroyed that reef .....there is still very little left from what's was there

Yank John same thing...

So if you spend money protect it
..All our artificial reefs need to be protected

And as far as Non profit organization that's paper work....when you are on the board and pay your cousin for pictures......That's conflict of interest

I make oil 05-05-2012 01:06 AM

I feel the CCA is the best thing we have going to protect our fisheries. If you don't like the job they are doing, or think you could do better, then PLEASE feel free to start a new organization and run it the way YOU feel it should be run. I personally don't have the time or inclination or interest, so I've decided to work with what is available. I am an active member of the CCA and volunteer my time when I can. I've learned a lot more about the organization by working in it than I ever knew by just paying my dues and fishing STAR. Do I like everything they do? No, but I feel I can more effectively change the things I don't like about the CCA by working with them rather than talking about them on internet forums. If you spend any time working in the CCA as I'm sure Raymond will confirm, it is a huge organization run by good people. Some of which have ego's as large as yours who also think they know exactly what should be done by the organization. Running a non-profit can often be much more difficult than running a for profit business due to government regulation and funding. I know because my wife works at one. There is always a lot more going on than you see. Influencing the Government and its policy is a huge undertaking and responsibility. The CCA works to help the entire Gulf Coast not just Big Lake. They have to look at the big picture and what is best for all their members.

I can't speak on the oyster issue on Big Lake because I don't fish there and have no real knowledge. I have spoken to friends who do fish there and they tell me it is a big problem. Why don't the local politicians, the ones who you and the citizens of your area vote in. Not do anything to change the policy? Surely there are more local recreational fishermen around than commercial oyster fishermen. Perhaps you guy's need to form an organisation to push your own agenda to the state. Maybe ckinchen can get on board with the strength of this site. Post up the phone numbers and emails of the politicians from that area. Find out who is pushing the oyster fishing in BL and target them. They have a weakness find it and exploit it. What do the trained biologists say? Organization is the key. Otherwise all ya’ll are is nothing but a mad mob with no direction. The CCA started from a bunch of people mad about Gill Nets. Look where they are now. A little organization goes a long way.

mriguy 05-05-2012 01:58 AM

^^^There you have it.^^^

Very, very well said

"W" 05-05-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I make oil (Post 428472)
I feel the CCA is the best thing we have going to protect our fisheries. If you don't like the job they are doing, or think you could do better, then PLEASE feel free to start a new organization and run it the way YOU feel it should be run. I personally don't have the time or inclination or interest, so I've decided to work with what is available. I am an active member of the CCA and volunteer my time when I can. I've learned a lot more about the organization by working in it than I ever knew by just paying my dues and fishing STAR. Do I like everything they do? No, but I feel I can more effectively change the things I don't like about the CCA by working with them rather than talking about them on internet forums. If you spend any time working in the CCA as I'm sure Raymond will confirm, it is a huge organization run by good people. Some of which have ego's as large as yours who also think they know exactly what should be done by the organization. Running a non-profit can often be much more difficult than running a for profit business due to government regulation and funding. I know because my wife works at one. There is always a lot more going on than you see. Influencing the Government and its policy is a huge undertaking and responsibility. The CCA works to help the entire Gulf Coast not just Big Lake. They have to look at the big picture and what is best for all their members.

I can't speak on the oyster issue on Big Lake because I don't fish there and have no real knowledge. I have spoken to friends who do fish there and they tell me it is a big problem. Why don't the local politicians, the ones who you and the citizens of your area vote in. Not do anything to change the policy? Surely there are more local recreational fishermen around than commercial oyster fishermen. Perhaps you guy's need to form an organisation to push your own agenda to the state. Maybe ckinchen can get on board with the strength of this site. Post up the phone numbers and emails of the politicians from that area. Find out who is pushing the oyster fishing in BL and target them. They have a weakness find it and exploit it. What do the trained biologists say? Organization is the key. Otherwise all ya’ll are is nothing but a mad mob with no direction. The CCA started from a bunch of people mad about Gill Nets. Look where they are now. A little organization goes a long way.

Your 100% right the CCA is all we have
And I have been a member for years and will continue to be s member

Like I said...our focus should not be a 450,000 reef when we have oyster boats destoying our lake at will

If were going to just put artificial reefs in the lake.. That is great but let's protect them

CCA or Me or anyone knows where oystering lines will be moved next. They said they would never touch the east side ....well they killed it

I make oil 05-05-2012 09:31 AM

W who is this they? How do they have this authority? Who gives it to them? Who want's things to change? What good are we doing by complaining about these problems. GET ORGANIZED! Seriously, you know lots and lots of people who fish that area. You have their respect. USE IT! Obviously recreational fishermen are unhappy. I am more than willing to assist in ANY manner that I can and so are many others not from that area. Find a focal point(why not you?). Get others together and decide what the common consensus is about the issue. Spread the word and get community support. Then get some sound scientific data to back up your claims and create a Non Profit with a name. Save Big Lake or something like that and let the politicians or who ever it is allowing this to happen that your PISSED and are not going to stand for it! Seriously W use your network and get something done. Find who is pushing the Oystering agenda and SHUT THEM DOWN! It's not just about you it's your kids and their kids. We must protect our resources. That's why I'm in CCA.

I know its easy to say but the people who use Big Lake need to raise their voice or risk loosing it all. Like I tell my kids. If you don't make a decission or stand up for what you want for yourself. Then life will make a decission or choice for you. And I can assure you it won't be one that you like. If your wrong at least you are wrong because of a choice you made. Not doing something is a choice too.

"W" 05-05-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I make oil (Post 428534)
W who is this they? How do they have this authority? Who gives it to them? Who want's things to change? What good are we doing by complaining about these problems. GET ORGANIZED! Seriously, you know lots and lots of people who fish that area. You have their respect. USE IT! Obviously recreational fishermen are unhappy. I am more than willing to assist in ANY manner that I can and so are many others not from that area. Find a focal point(why not you?). Get others together and decide what the common consensus is about the issue. Spread the word and get community support. Then get some sound scientific data to back up your claims and create a Non Profit with a name. Save Big Lake or something like that and let the politicians or who ever it is allowing this to happen that your PISSED and are not going to stand for it! Seriously W use your network and get something done. Find who is pushing the Oystering agenda and SHUT THEM DOWN! It's not just about you it's your kids and their kids. We must protect our resources. That's why I'm in CCA.

I know its easy to say but the people who use Big Lake need to raise their voice or risk loosing it all. Like I tell my kids. If you don't make a decission or stand up for what you want for yourself. Then life will make a decission or choice for you. And I can assure you it won't be one that you like. If your wrong at least you are wrong because of a choice you made. Not doing something is a choice too.

^^^This is why I pay the CCA every year

Im just waiting on that email from David C with the Itemized cost of this half million dollar reef

I make oil 05-05-2012 10:53 AM

Well good luck with that.

"W" 05-05-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I make oil (Post 428558)
Well good luck with that.

I do fully understand where you are coming from and your right........But like your said , its easier said than done!

Ones that make these laws spend 0 days on the water and know 0 about what is underneath the water

Thank God we got a ton of rain this year and its keep the Oyster boats from harvesting ........Maybe this is a way God heals her self

Reefman 05-05-2012 01:07 PM

W, you have a very good point here. I find it totally asinine to destroy an artificial reef, EI 71 for example, that has produced in excess of a 100,000 trout. How long would it take to make a reef that can produce those kind of numbers. The State and Feds need to get their ****e together and come up with a viable plan to keep these obsolete rigs from being pulled and brought to Alabama and Florida. Guys, we have to make some noise...
I'm stunned that they removing so many of our long time trout producing rigs with no one screaming.

Duck Butter 05-05-2012 01:13 PM

You did read Speckdaddys post right? Just like I figured, CCA is not funding this whole thing, the money is not all from CCA it is from endowments , grants, and other revenue sources. I work for a non-profit organization and I PROMISE you when I say that there is tons of paperwork to fill out to make sure that donors or family members do NOT get special attention and special kickbacks, it is just the opposite. All avenues have to be exhausted in order for a major donor or family member to do the work. CCA likely either proposed the establishment of a new reef or were approached to the do the work because who else would tackle something like this? The Big Lake fishermen association, Friends of 'W', or Speckled Trout Unlimited?:rotfl:

I think this is a great thing, I mean where would you rather this concrete go? In a slatwater environment that has the potential to grow oysters and other invertebrates, or piled up in the middle of a parking lot? I understand that the other reefs may not be perfect, but they are a start, and if you want to volunteer your time to help start a petition to save these reefs that probably would not be a bad thing:)

Duck Butter 05-05-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefman (Post 428624)
W, you have a very good point here. I find it totally asinine to destroy an artificial reef, EI 71 for example, that has produced in excess of a 100,000 trout. How long would it take to make a reef that can produce those kind of numbers. The State and Feds need to get their ****e together and come up with a viable plan to keep these obsolete rigs from being pulled and brought to Alabama and Florida. Guys, we have to make some noise...
I'm stunned that they removing so many of our long time trout producing rigs with no one screaming.

Agree with this ^^^. There is money that was alotted just for this I think it was called 'From rigs to reefs":confused:, well ol politics as usual came in and took some of this money and stuck in the general fund. There is a stink being raised already about this, but it will probably be swept under the rug, just like everything else. Remember when the money generated from the Louisiana Lottery was supposed to go towards education and teachers salaries?:eek::redface:

This issue would probably be something CCA may need to get involved in and may already be, not sure

Bluechip 05-07-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 428315)
I can provide you an itemized bill. I am not at my computer now, but am glad to send you a list of our budgeted expenses.

Thank you.

David Cresson
CEO, CCA Louisiana
(225) 588-4823
Sent from my iPhone

So what's up with this? Did you get an answer???

"W" 05-07-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 429392)
So what's up with this? Did you get an answer???

Yes I did......

Bluechip 05-07-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 429398)
Yes I did......

Do you plan on sharing with us Pilgrim's or is it top secret.

"W" 05-07-2012 05:55 PM

Jeremy-

I didn't realize this was you when I first read your email after work on
Friday evening. I apologize that it took me this long to follow up. I hope
you are doing well. I tried calling you a little while ago.

Let me try and answer your questions in order...

Funding for the new Brad Vincent Reef will come from the CCA Building
Conservation Trust along with one-to-one matching funds from The LDWF
Artificial Reef Trust Fund. This is 100% restricted money and can only be
used for reefs- so we are not using money here that could otherwise be put
towards advocacy. The total funding will be $450,000.

10,000 tons of recycled concrete (loaded onto barges) will cost us
$200,000. This price includes a generous in-kind donation from our
materials provider. The transport and deployment of the materials will
cost us $230,000. This also includes a generous amount of in-kind service
from our deployment contractor. We also budgeted $20,000 for follow up
survey work. In all cases, our Habitat Committee volunteers and staff
spend great time and energy finding the best price for the best material
and service. Our volunteers take this very seriously and do an amazing
job getting the absolute most "project for the buck."

As for the protection of this reef and other reefs from commercial
harvest, perhaps you have not seen pending legislation (making its way
through session as we speak) by Representative Hunter Greene (HB 406) that
would make artificial reefs off limits to commercial harvest. As you can
imagine, The CCA Louisiana Government Relations Committee (made up of
volunteers from around the State) has worked closely with the Author and
LDWF to craft this legislation and to monitor it throughout. We feel very
optimistic about it. I did talk about this bill at a LC committee meeting
in February.

As for the oyster tonging bill we worked on with Blade Morrish last year,
I'm sure you know that the bill "morphed" a good bit through session last
year and ended up limiting the number of permits on the Lake to 126. That
is roughly half the number of boats that were oystering Big Lake in 2010.
It also adjusted some language to limit the number of sacks that were
allowed per licensed harvester and per vessel. In other words, while the
bill was not what we originally intended, it has succeeded in
significantly limiting the oyster harvest pressure on the Lake. That said,
our GR committee continues to monitor this ever-evolving situation very
closely and are considering options moving forward. Like you, our goal
here is to protect the resources in that Lake. We will do what it takes
to achieve that goal, and we appreciate your support in helping us get
there.

Please know that you are welcome to call me anytime with questions. My
cell number is *** *** ****.

Hope the fish are biting for you. See you soon.

David

Bluechip 05-07-2012 05:57 PM

Cool......thanks for the info.

Gerald 05-07-2012 06:11 PM

Where is the new Big Lake reef going to be located?

BloodKnot 05-07-2012 07:47 PM

W, I agree with your points. CCA does waste much of its money. I stopped giving mine years ago after meeting with several people that ran CCA. In my little opinion, these CCA executives were getting nice salaries (they kept talking about it), didn't fish that much, and didn't care to fight the battles we care about. Maybe that has changed but you never get a second chance to make a first impression. The CCA seems more concerned with making a nice article about creating a reef and then letting it die as the major public didn't notice.

I don't have the knowledge or wallet to start a foundation or association to help protect Big Lake. But I would be first in line to donate money if there is someone or some organization that will make southwest LA a priority.

"W" 05-07-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodKnot (Post 429462)
W, I agree with your points. CCA does waste much of its money. I stopped giving mine years ago after meeting with several people that ran CCA. In my little opinion, these CCA executives were getting nice salaries (they kept talking about it), didn't fish that much, and didn't care to fight the battles we care about. Maybe that has changed but you never get a second chance to make a first impression. The CCA seems more concerned with making a nice article about creating a reef and then letting it die as the major public didn't notice.

I don't have the knowledge or wallet to start a foundation or association to help protect Big Lake. But I would be first in line to donate money if there is someone or some organization that will make southwest LA a priority.

Well I like the CCA......I voice what I feel I need to and some like it and some don’t but I really don’t care because I just tell it how I see it.

Now that I know the Funds are coming from a Reef Fund I feel a lot better about this project. Do we need extra 20K on future research???? Not really but what do I know I just fish...

Over all CCA has done a great job at getting things done for us as fisherman..... Do I like the BIG MONEY GUYS RUNNING IT as Board Members ...NO I don’t because most never spend any time on our waters to even know what we lack...they go by hearsay and we all have hearsay....

Guides like 15 trout limits because that less time they have on the water..... Smart fisherman know it’s killing our overall size

Board members hear the oyster boats are killing the reefs......Fishermen like myself have gotten out and walked them....and dragged them and watched oyster boats dump shell on banks.....

There is the difference between a guy who sits in an office all day and one who knows W T F is going on

I make oil 05-08-2012 03:04 AM

Glad he responded. Good posts W and thanks for reposting your email.

Duck Butter 05-08-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodKnot (Post 429462)

Not trying to argue, but you must realize that when it comes to the 'higher ups' that have all the credentials most of the top execs have, you have to pay for them or else they can easily go into the private sector and make much more money. It would be nice if a Ph.D. researcher who really enjoyed doing what he does went and did all this for $50k/year, but the reality is that when you want the best people, you have to pay for them. Most top execs of non-profit organizations such as CCA, Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, etc. are some of the brightest, most informed people there are (they are the best) and to have the best you have to pay for them:)

It seems like they are making SW LA a priority if they are spending money to create an artificial reef?

Duck Butter 05-08-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 429501)
Well I like the CCA......I voice what I feel I need to and some like it and some don’t but I really don’t care because I just tell it how I see it.

Now that I know the Funds are coming from a Reef Fund I feel a lot better about this project. Do we need extra 20K on future research???? Not really but what do I know I just fish...

Over all CCA has done a great job at getting things done for us as fisherman..... Do I like the BIG MONEY GUYS RUNNING IT as Board Members ...NO I don’t because most never spend any time on our waters to even know what we lack...they go by hearsay and we all have hearsay....

Guides like 15 trout limits because that less time they have on the water..... Smart fisherman know it’s killing our overall size

Board members hear the oyster boats are killing the reefs......Fishermen like myself have gotten out and walked them....and dragged them and watched oyster boats dump shell on banks.....

There is the difference between a guy who sits in an office all day and one who knows W T F is going on

This future research is probably not what you are thinking it will be. Future research can be just riding out to the reef and checking on it from time to time, taking samples. (This isn't free, there is fuel, supplies, equipment, salaries, etc.), and if they just dumped some concrete in the water and never went back out to check on things, then you would hear people crying about that:work: and this way they can monitor the production of the reefs so when someone asks 'what good are these things anyway' they can at least show some data to back it up, and if the data suggests that the reefs are doing something, then more funding may come along and more artifiical reefs built that can't be harvested and before long everyone lives happily ever after:)

I make oil 05-08-2012 12:17 PM

^^^^^^^+1

Raymond 06-20-2012 10:07 AM

SB 406 will makes it illegal to oyster any artificial reefs. It will pass without governor Jindal's signature making it a law. Now, if the state will fly drones over those reefs, we might be able to make sure the oystermen stay off them.

jchief 06-20-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 450005)
SB 406 will makes it illegal to oyster any artificial reefs. It will pass without governor Jindal's signature making it a law. Now, if the state will fly drones over those reefs, we might be able to make sure the oystermen stay off them.

So, Jindal is not signing the bill?

Raymond 06-20-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 450007)
So, Jindal is not signing the bill?

Technicality, it still becomes law if he doesn't sign it. A political way to endorse but not endorse with signature. Yep, confuses me also but in the end, we get protection.

"W" 06-20-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 450025)
Technicality, it still becomes law if he doesn't sign it. A political way to endorse but not endorse with signature. Yep, confuses me also but in the end, we get protection.

Great

jchief 06-20-2012 12:07 PM

HB 406 was signed by the governor.

jchief 06-20-2012 12:10 PM

Greene (HB 406) Act No. 84
New law authorizes the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission, with recommendations by the
La. Oyster Task Force, to establish recreational reefs and promulgate rules for the location
of such reefs, materials to be used on such reefs, and regulations for fishing on or over the
reef, including harvest seasons, times, and creel limits. Prohibits the harvest of oysters from
the reefs.
Provides that violations are class four violations punishable as follows:
1st offense between $400 & $950 or imprisonment for more than
120 days, or both.
2nd offense between $750 & $999 & imprisonment between 90 and
180 days.
3rd or more between $1,000 & $5,000 & imprisonment between 180
days and two years.
Provides forfeiture of anything seized in connection with the violation.
Effective August 1, 2012.
(Adds R.S. 56:805)

Raymond 06-20-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 450078)
New law authorizes the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission, with recommendations by the
La. Oyster Task Force, to establish recreational reefs and promulgate rules for the location
of such reefs, materials to be used on such reefs, and regulations for fishing on or over the
reef, including harvest seasons, times, and creel limits. Prohibits the harvest of oysters from
the reefs.
120 days, or both.
180 days.
days and two years.

It would still be cheaper to drop house blocks on the reefs, game wardens would only be needed to tow the crippled boats to the bank then.

"W" 06-20-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 450078)
the reefs.
120 days, or both.
180 days.
days and two years.

Great News :fireworks:

jchief 06-20-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 450174)
Great News :fireworks:

I agree, but am a little reserved because of the language that involves the La. Oyster Task Force.

Raymond 11-14-2012 11:25 PM

This should be a no brainer for the state; trip tickets can be checked against license, processor is required by law (fed/state) to keep these records for inspection, bust the processor if he cheats and fishermen if they cheat. There will never be enough wardens to keep the thiefs honest on the water so find another way like the Feds did with the mob (RICO). If the processors license can be pulled for improper record keeping he will have a vested interest in making sure the fishermen only sell him a daily limit. Anyone caught should have all gear confiscated on the first offense and fined 10x the total # of pounds stolen from the residents of Louisiana.