SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sinking brushpiles in big lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67173)

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-16-2017 09:07 PM

Sinking brushpiles in big lake

Went ran jugs with cousin today in big lake caught some hammer garfish. Wind blew the jugs to bank and best fish were caught where there was some brush by the bank. Got me thinking I need to sink some brush. What is best type tree to sink and how much weight do I need

Flex 06-16-2017 09:51 PM

Bamboo, stuck in concrete.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

eman 06-17-2017 11:13 AM

PVC trees in 5 gal buckets of concrete.

Reefman 06-17-2017 11:40 AM

I would think lily pads a better option. Provides shade, gar fish love shade, and a place for bait fish to hide.

jopete 06-17-2017 03:42 PM

I just tie old crab traps together with barbed wiire and throw a couple old tires/rims on it to keep it sunked. fish love it, and it last longer than brush.

hurricane fence is great, but it's hard to deploy without scratching the wrap on my boat.

318 kidd 06-17-2017 05:53 PM

Dats what we do,old batteries for weight too,think dat rotten egg smell makes them come running

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-17-2017 07:45 PM

Didn't want to use bamboo because that stuff isn't around the lake. They will know it's not supposed to be there. May get some rozo cane and sink though. The ones we caught were by rozo cane and murkle bushes

"W" 06-17-2017 09:13 PM

Use dat cut grass from weir levee, super glue it to some of the oyster reefs that oyster fisherman said are thick all over !

Smalls 06-17-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 822111)
Didn't want to use bamboo because that stuff isn't around the lake. They will know it's not supposed to be there. May get some rozo cane and sink though. The ones we caught were by rozo cane and murkle bushes

I mean, I don't see why you are worried about anyone knowing it's not supposed to be there. You already want to sink something on a public waterbody, which is against the law without a permit.

The Corps of Engineers is a real PitA when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

nblender 06-18-2017 02:18 AM

Waltrip

You always like running your mouth and being a smart *** . You forgot you were kick get off from Biglake 411 from you smart *** mouth . The guy is just asking a simple question and you want to respond with a smart *** answer as usuall. He doesn't know any better. , that's why he asking , Since you know the answer to all the questions why won't you quit your day job and Work for the Louisiana wildlife fisheries or CCA since you know everything and now how to rub it....

Smalls 06-18-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nblender (Post 822117)
You always like running your mouth and being a smart *** . You forgot you were kick get off from Biglake 411 from you smart *** mouth . The guy is just asking a simple question and you want to respond with a smart *** answer as usuall. He doesn't know any better. , that's why he asking , Since you know the answer to all the questions why won't you quit your day job and Work for the Louisiana wildlife fisheries or CCA since you know everything and now how to rub it....

Never been on Biglake 411, so...

4 posts in 6 years, and you have the nerve to go after someone for pointing out a fact? It's one thing if Waltrip comes after me. At least the guy has helped and tries to help people on here.

What have you done?

Sightwindow 06-18-2017 10:05 AM

Amazing how some people don't get the joke or feel compelled to play mother hen in making sure others know it's a joke.

rardoin 06-18-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sightwindow (Post 822134)
Amazing how some people don't get the joke or feel compelled to play mother hen in making sure others know it's a joke.

A joke??? You mean he was only catching dink gars and not hammas???;)

Feesherman 06-18-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rardoin (Post 822141)
A joke??? You mean he was only catching dink gars and not hammas???;)

Hamma gars are in the eye of the beholder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

"W" 06-18-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nblender (Post 822117)

LMAO
Dude really ?

Big Lake 411 LMAO ... I never waisted my time on that garbage site

I went one time to call a moron out who basically ran over me fishing

GTFO with that crap

lil bubba 06-18-2017 02:41 PM

So all these people on caney lake and saline and toledo bend and countless others actually have corp permits to have brush piles or is it only a salt water thing ? I could be wrong but I think he meant the fish might know bamboo isn't suppose to be around there .

Smalls 06-18-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 822164)
So all these people on caney lake and saline and toledo bend and countless others actually have corp permits to have brush piles or is it only a salt water thing ? I could be wrong but I think he meant the fish might know bamboo isn't suppose to be around there .

You can't be serious? You think he meant the fish? People sink buckets of concrete with rubber hose sticking out of them as structure, and fish hang around them.

As for the permits, yes, even on freshwater that isn't legal without a permit. Why would someone have to have a permit to build a bulkhead for a camp or drive pilings, but could just create a brushpile?

Now, there may be some specifics on size that it might be under and not require a permit, but placing a brushpile would be considered the same as dumping spoil dirt (filling) in that water body. Dredge and fill activities require permits.

All that being said, if you aren't going to look into the legality and still choose to create a brushpile, I wouldn't be seen doing it by any sort of regulator or law enforcement.

National Marine Fisheries, ironically enough, can be a real stickler for that stuff. Personally, hey, whatever floats your boat. All I'm saying is, don't get caught in the act.

noodle creek 06-18-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 822172)
You can't be serious? You think he meant the fish? People sink buckets of concrete with rubber hose sticking out of them as structure, and fish hang around them.

As for the permits, yes, even on freshwater that isn't legal without a permit. Why would someone have to have a permit to build a bulkhead for a camp or drive pilings, but could just create a brushpile?

Now, there may be some specifics on size that it might be under and not require a permit, but placing a brushpile would be considered the same as dumping spoil dirt (filling) in that water body. Dredge and fill activities require permits.

All that being said, if you aren't going to look into the legality and still choose to create a brushpile, I wouldn't be seen doing it by any sort of regulator or law enforcement.

National Marine Fisheries, ironically enough, can be a real stickler for that stuff. Personally, hey, whatever floats your boat. All I'm saying is, don't get caught in the act.

You do realize the whole thread is a joke right?

lil bubba 06-18-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 822172)

Yes I am serious because I have never heard of having to have a permit for a brush pile or seen it in the regulation book . I don't think a brush pile is the same as filling in a shore line or building a bulkhead . Please if you are so informed give me a place where it is said that I would need a permit to place a brush pile anywhere salt or fresh . And where should one apply for such permit....My boat floats nice and high and dry....

Smalls 06-18-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 822174)
Yes I am serious because I have never heard of having to have a permit for a brush pile or seen it in the regulation book . I don't think a brush pile is the same as filling in a shore line or building a bulkhead . Please if you are so informed give me a place where it is said that I would need a permit to place a brush pile anywhere salt or fresh . And where should one apply for such permit....My boat floats nice and high and dry....

Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans district. They will make a fuss about anything. If they will fuss about a 3 or 4 ft diameter piling, they will fuss about a piling. Probably falls under a General Permit, but I don't have them in front of me to tell you which one.