SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Stories, History, and Tributes (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Gota Love It (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48064)

duckman1911 09-22-2013 01:14 PM

Gota Love It

You gota love this time of year. The air is finally giving some relief and it brings hope that the scorching days of summer are drawing to an end. Its that time of year when our attention starts to be drawn to campfires and hunting stories.
The dove hunters have had their chance and guys are now working on limits of teal for the pot. Next is the opening weekend of squirrel season. Its a deeply rooted in our heritage as any type of hunting. Im sure that most of us can remember our first time at squirrel camp as youngsters.
I was once a devoted squirrel hunter but as I got into my early twenties I stumbled upon this foolish notion that squirrel hunting was for beginners and not worthy of a real hunters time. So for about the next decade it was nothing but duck blinds, decoys, deer stands, food plots, and feeders for me.
When our son started getting to the age he was ready to go hunting I decided squirrel hunting would be a great way to start. I dusted off the ole squirrel gun and hit some of my old stomping grounds to check them out. What I realized was that squirrel hunting wasn't as easy as it used to be. It wasn't because the woods were crowded or because there was a lack of squirrels. It was because I had been slowly forgetting how to hunt. All of that time in a blind and box stand had made me great at sitting and watching but I was slowly loosing the things that keep a keen edge on your woodsman skills.
Its time to dust off your ole squirrel gun and keep those skills razor sharp. Oh and take a youngster with you. It just may be one of their fondest memories of you. J

MarshRat89 09-22-2013 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still make a few hunts a year. One of my favorite things to eat are squirrel. Only really got into once last year Attachment 56107

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

duckman1911 09-22-2013 01:33 PM

Nice pile bro. That'll keep you busy at the skinner for a little while. Squirrel and tomato gravy is one of my favorites. Especially if its cool enough to be cooked over a fire.

MarshRat89 09-22-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 629580)
Nice pile bro. That'll keep you busy at the skinner for a little while. Squirrel and tomato gravy is one of my favorites. Especially if its cool enough to be cooked over a fire.

I can do em pretty quick. I cut up the legs and around the tail. Then I step on the tail and pull the two back legs. 5 minutes max gutted and all.

duckman1911 09-22-2013 01:46 PM

They do make for some fine eating. My wife has finally got to where she likes them. That only took 15 years or so.lol

MarshRat89 09-22-2013 02:51 PM

Mine's a redneck from deville originally so she grew up eating em.

AubreyLaHaye458 09-22-2013 03:54 PM

I don't miss a weekend at squirrel camp. Hell, it's a holiday in VP. I never really did enjoy eating them so I rarely hunt em anymore.

duckman1911 09-23-2013 08:24 PM

Can understand that Aubrey. Its just something about friends and family at the camp for opening weekend. Living the good life man.

Top Dawg 09-23-2013 08:40 PM

This will be this first year since I can remember being old enough to be in the woods to kiss opening weekend of squirrel season. It's kinda depressing, but ill be in Wyoming mule deer hunting. I may be able to make a quick hunt that Sunday.

PotLikinisAhabbit 09-24-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 629628)
I don't miss a weekend at squirrel camp. Hell, it's a holiday in VP. I never really did enjoy eating them so I rarely hunt em anymore.

Kill as many as you can I'll eat everyone of them. :smokin:

Superspook 09-26-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 629576)
You gota love this time of year. The air is finally giving some relief and it brings hope that the scorching days of summer are drawing to an end. Its that time of year when our attention starts to be drawn to campfires and hunting stories.
The dove hunters have had their chance and guys are now working on limits of teal for the pot. Next is the opening weekend of squirrel season. Its a deeply rooted in our heritage as any type of hunting. Im sure that most of us can remember our first time at squirrel camp as youngsters.
I was once a devoted squirrel hunter but as I got into my early twenties I stumbled upon this foolish notion that squirrel hunting was for beginners and not worthy of a real hunters time. So for about the next decade it was nothing but duck blinds, decoys, deer stands, food plots, and feeders for me.
When our son started getting to the age he was ready to go hunting I decided squirrel hunting would be a great way to start. I dusted off the ole squirrel gun and hit some of my old stomping grounds to check them out. What I realized was that squirrel hunting wasn't as easy as it used to be. It wasn't because the woods were crowded or because there was a lack of squirrels. It was because I had been slowly forgetting how to hunt. All of that time in a blind and box stand had made me great at sitting and watching but I was slowly loosing the things that keep a keen edge on your woodsman skills.
Its time to dust off your ole squirrel gun and keep those skills razor sharp. Oh and take a youngster with you. It just may be one of their fondest memories of you. J

A cat squirrel will show you how good a hunter you are real quick lol...
my grandpaw is the best squirrel hunter i have ever seen could prolly get a limit in wal-mart parking lot he has shamed me many a time on opening day