SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Question regarding wind at big lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66404)

saltysully 02-01-2017 07:55 PM

Question regarding wind at big lake

For Big Lake, I've heard:
--- East wind makes stronger tide, higher tide; muddier water.
Muddier near the ship channel that is
--- West wind makes a weaker tide, lower tide; less muddy

is above correct?

also, what effect does north/south wind have in terms of water clarity?

"W" 02-01-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltysully (Post 815188)
For Big Lake, I've heard:
--- East wind makes stronger tide, higher tide; muddier water.
Muddier near the ship channel that is
--- West wind makes a weaker tide, lower tide; less muddy

is above correct?

also, what effect does north/south wind have in terms of water clarity?

all depends on time of the year and what winds are blowing for

West wind in the winter time you can hang it up ....LAKE is trashed

East winds winter time you are good most of the time

Hard north could go both ways but you can still have fish able waters up north

South usually always clears lake up

Tides
all on the moon .... you will have slower tides with hard north winds if its coming in or Slow if winds are hard south and its falling

East winds usually push tides higher and West lower but not always

Water all moves west out in the gulf current
every day is different but your main reason for good tides or bad tides are by the moon

saltysully 02-01-2017 09:11 PM

thanks W.. thats a big help

redchaserron 02-01-2017 10:26 PM

In our part of the world tide swings aren't very big and can be impacted by the wind. As you would imagine a north wind can push the tide out sooner, make the low tide lower than predicted and keep the high tide from reaching the predicted lunar tide level. South winds will hold the tide up, sustained south winds can stack water up in the system pushing the tide considerably higher than predicted. I've seen the wharfs at pried lake park and the hwy at Holly beach under water due to sustained south winds not related to and kind of tropical storm. East winds do tend to hold the tide up a bit as well and west winds just suck. Also, strong tide movement in opposition to a stiff wind makes the waves worse. If the tide is moving out fast and the wind is brisk out of the south there will be haystacks around commissary point.

mriguy 02-02-2017 03:50 AM

Nice info guys, thnks

saltysully 02-03-2017 11:10 PM

Thanks a bunch guys! Youre tbe best!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

jl8200 02-05-2017 09:26 PM

Why do west winds mess things up. Because of currents in conjunction with the west winds?

TroutSupport.com 02-08-2017 09:55 AM

On a Sustained West wind the wind with blowing with the gulf current along the beach, that typically lowers the level of the near shore gulf and makes that water very dirty as well. The fact that it's lower than the bay will typically drop the tide level in the bay (a short term west wind like before a cold front typically won't do this unless the tide was above average the day before). So inside the bay on the sustained west, it will drawn the bay down making wave agitation closer to the bottom of the bay and that lifts more sediment and 'dirties' up the bay. Also, a sustained west typically is associated with some amount of higher pressure and that can decrease tide movement as well .. dirty water, lower tide levels and less water movement don't exactly turn on the bite.

If it's just windy and that's what is causing dirty water, I don't worry about that as much. The fish will be where the food is and they don't get in the boat and drive around looking for pretty water. Also, we underestimate their ability to eat in the dirty stuff. Frankly I'd rather fish the dirty stuff over the clear water. I tend to catch bigger and more fish when I do. A good play is fishing the edge of a color change over structure like oyster or a drop off etc.

jl8200 02-10-2017 10:13 PM

Wow great explanation. Thanks Tobin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutSupport.com (Post 815544)
On a Sustained West wind the wind with blowing with the gulf current along the beach, that typically lowers the level of the near shore gulf and makes that water very dirty as well. The fact that it's lower than the bay will typically drop the tide level in the bay (a short term west wind like before a cold front typically won't do this unless the tide was above average the day before). So inside the bay on the sustained west, it will drawn the bay down making wave agitation closer to the bottom of the bay and that lifts more sediment and 'dirties' up the bay. Also, a sustained west typically is associated with some amount of higher pressure and that can decrease tide movement as well .. dirty water, lower tide levels and less water movement don't exactly turn on the bite.

If it's just windy and that's what is causing dirty water, I don't worry about that as much. The fish will be where the food is and they don't get in the boat and drive around looking for pretty water. Also, we underestimate their ability to eat in the dirty stuff. Frankly I'd rather fish the dirty stuff over the clear water. I tend to catch bigger and more fish when I do. A good play is fishing the edge of a color change over structure like oyster or a drop off etc.

TroutSupport.com 02-14-2017 09:55 AM

Anytime,
t