SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   For all you deer hunters.... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49551)

LakenLady 11-21-2013 07:03 AM

For all you deer hunters....

for those of you that deer hunt, How many deer stands do you put up & how often do you hunt from the same stand??:)

bayouchub 11-21-2013 08:48 AM

Stop

LakenLady 11-21-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 645183)
Stop

??? GO

Reggoh 11-21-2013 09:11 AM

On my lease this year I put up: 1 double ladder, 2 hang ons, and 1 ground blind... I also have a climber that I can use to be mobile.

I try to set up the stands to handle South and North winds since they are the predominant winds that we get... I use the gam cams to help determine how much activity is at each stand and hunt them according to activity and wind direction.

LakenLady 11-21-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggoh (Post 645188)
On my lease this year I put up: 1 double ladder, 2 hang ons, and 1 ground blind... I also have a climber that I can use to be mobile.

I try to set up the stands to handle South and North winds since they are the predominant winds that we get... I use the gam cams to help determine how much activity is at each stand and hunt them according to activity and wind direction.

Great Advice!! Thanks!

FF_T_Warren 11-21-2013 10:50 AM

Im a one stand kinda guy. When you have a good stand that steadily produces, or puts out if you will, there's no reason to go creeping through the woods looking for something better. you start climbing on someone else's stand, you liable to find yourself flat on your back because the quality just isnt there

BassYakR 11-21-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 645201)
Im a one stand kinda guy. When you have a good stand that steadily produces, or puts out if you will, there's no reason to go creeping through the woods looking for something better. you start climbing on someone else's stand, you liable to find yourself flat on your back because the quality just isnt there

Now thats some good advice!

LakenLady 11-21-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

I totally agree!!

bgizzle 11-21-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakenLady (Post 645212)
I totally agree!!

Do you deer hunt? If so what's your style or preference of the sport?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

Jordan 11-21-2013 04:52 PM

i got 5 stands. 2 double ladders (1 facing north and the other south). 1 single ladder facing north. 2 climbers (1 north and 1 south). I have them on different types of land scenario's. Creek bottoms, pine thickets, oak flats, etc...

LakenLady 11-21-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgizzle (Post 645251)
Do you deer hunt? If so what's your style or preference of the sport?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

Yes I do, I prefer staying in the same spot
& not hunting different areas.. Just my opinion...

Goosepond Monster 11-22-2013 10:28 AM

It is good to have different stand options for different winds.

Also, if you hunt one stand over and over you can burn out that spot.

I like having a climber, because it allows me to be more versatile during the season.

fishfighter 11-22-2013 12:44 PM

haha

Quote:

and you can keep it secret for a little while, but eventually your second stand will be found

MathGeek 11-22-2013 01:01 PM

I like options. I can make one stand work if I have to, but I prefer to have two or three available and hunt the one most favored by wind and conditions.

JATails 11-22-2013 02:47 PM

I believe you can have as many stands as you want/can afford but realistically there are only so many you can keep up in good working order, I hunt from 4-5 ladder stands which my dad and I put out and I'll end up moving them around all season depending on hunting pressure/movement plus I have a climber to go explore. For as many times I hunt a particular set up totally depends on the activity I see out of it, weather and the most important part is the wind direction while sitting in your stand and getting to your set up... thats my $0.02.
I hunt from the trees early season and then ground hunt when the foliage clears and I believe in hunting deer before they know their being hunted -SLINGING ARROWS

LakenLady 11-27-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JATails (Post 645482)
I believe you can have as many stands as you want/can afford but realistically there are only so many you can keep up in good working order, I hunt from 4-5 ladder stands which my dad and I put out and I'll end up moving them around all season depending on hunting pressure/movement plus I have a climber to go explore. For as many times I hunt a particular set up totally depends on the activity I see out of it, weather and the most important part is the wind direction while sitting in your stand and getting to your set up... thats my $0.02.
I hunt from the trees early season and then ground hunt when the foliage clears and I believe in hunting deer before they know their being hunted -SLINGING ARROWS

Great Idea... I Sling Arrows too!!