SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What say we sponsor a family for Christmas? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15161)

ShadMan 12-02-2010 08:51 PM

What say we sponsor a family for Christmas?

What do y'all think about SaltyCajun sponsoring a deserving family or two that has fallen on hard times for Christmas? It would entail collecting some gifts for children and/or funds to present to the parents to help with gifts and expenses. There are a lot of folks going through some serious hardships what with the economy being what it has for the last few years. Does anybody know of a family that can really use some help? Feel free to send me a PM with info if you don't want to post it publicly.

Also, please post up if you are willing to step up and help out in some capacity. If there is enough interest in doing this, we'll get it going.

Bluechip 12-02-2010 08:53 PM

My plate is pretty full this month but I am willing to donate some cash for the cause.....

SaltyShaw 12-02-2010 08:58 PM

Just let me know what you have in mind and I would be more than happy to help if I'm not offshore and or I'll pitch in anyway I can, this is a great idea for a great cause!

DUCKGOGETTER 12-02-2010 09:06 PM

I'm in. Just let me know

meaux fishing 12-02-2010 09:21 PM

how about sponsor a college student for christmas..;)

j/k Ill help out if i can

fishinpox 12-02-2010 09:43 PM

Just let me know

PaulMyers 12-02-2010 10:01 PM

I'm in, let me know what I can do.

Matt D 12-02-2010 10:24 PM

I am willing to help in some kind of way.

ShadMan 12-02-2010 10:47 PM

For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families. ;)

Ray 12-02-2010 11:17 PM

The Buccaneers went to raid a Christmas party for the special needs people in Calcasieu Parish tonight to hand out beads and dabloons. We were surprised, there were around 800 to 1000 of them in the Habibi Temple tonight.
I gave out 2 gross' of beads and several hundred dbloons. My wife cried almost the whole time we were in there. She couldn't believe how many special needs people there were in this parish. There were probably several that were not there either.

simplepeddler 12-02-2010 11:20 PM

Let's make it so number 1!
i'm in

Salty 12-03-2010 11:38 AM

cOUnt me in

Deerfarmer 12-03-2010 07:34 PM

Poor Man's

Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 210134)
I'm in, let me know what I can do.

fishinpox 12-03-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 210146)
For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families. ;)

are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.

jchief 12-04-2010 08:15 AM

How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerfarmer (Post 210286)
Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.

Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?

southern151 12-04-2010 05:05 PM

As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

My wife and I are already sponsoring a senior citizen through the church this year but, if there is anything I can do, you know I'm on board! It's a little tight now, but, what you gonna take with ya when you're gone?...Not a dime!

God Bless and I hope we can get on board with donations enough to cater to more than one family's needs! I don't care where the families are located. There are families all across our great nation that deserve a great Christmas that won't have one if it's not for people like us that can provide it!

Donation sent.

Deerfarmer 12-04-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 210356)
Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?

Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerfarmer (Post 210360)
Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.

Nope, Wasn't me especially if the hunting was any good! The last deer I kilt was near Fort McKavett, Tx. like 25~30 years ago. I've been hunting since then, just haven't kilt nothing.

ShadMan 12-04-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 210287)
are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.

I would lean towards buying gifts instead of giving cash, but I'm open to whatever we all decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 210316)
How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.

This is also up to y'all. Let me know if you know of any families in need. It'll be a LA family, but where depends on your suggestions. If we gey enough money pooled up, we may be able to help 2 or 3 families.

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 210357)
As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

Donation sent.

That sounds really cool! I'd definitely be interested in doing something similar...bringing Christmas to a family that wouldn't otherwise have one. Thanks for the donation!

So far I've received $75 to go towards this and Billy has offered up a rod to auction off. When I have pictures and more info I'll post it up and we'll get the auction started. :cheers: