SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Topwater (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43476)

muddywater 05-01-2013 12:52 PM

Topwater

Im new to the site and fairly new to saltwater fishing.. What are some of the best topwater baits for trout and redfishing around Golden Meadow/Leeville/Grande Isle area without breaking the bank? and where is the best place to get them?

Any advice or help is appreciated.. Thanks

bjhooper82 05-01-2013 01:36 PM

Academy. Spook jr's, & rapala skitter walks are pretty good in white, bone, black with chartreuse head, hot chartreuse, pink just to name a few. I'm sure more will chime in soon.

Clampy 05-01-2013 01:39 PM

Spook Jrs and Skitterwalks and baby Skitterwalks. They only 2 topwaters you will ever need. SuperSpooks for bigger fish. Clown Color ,Pink&chrome ,Bone,and black and chart for spooks jrs. Bone/chart and Gold Mullet are my favorite skitters.

PotLikinisAhabbit 05-01-2013 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Either the super or spook jr model bone color is hard to beat. I find it to be the most versatile color for most conditions.

PotLikinisAhabbit 05-01-2013 01:52 PM

When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him. They will often slap at the bait multiple times in one retrieve before committing. Fish will most likely be found in 3-4 ft water unless any drastic changes in weather for the next 2-3 weeks.

marshrunner757 05-01-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit (Post 575648)
When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him.

Great advice. But it takes some time to get used to Lol. I still find myself jerking only to find the top water lure sailing straight back at me. :eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

meaux fishing 05-01-2013 03:57 PM

On a trout I really dont "set" the hook with a tw. I just kinda lift the pole and start reeling

kajun87 05-01-2013 06:43 PM

Black/chart and bone colored she dogs have been doing pretty good lately here in Grand Isle.

meaux fishing 05-01-2013 10:50 PM

Bone n chrome is my favorite top to throw.

Gerald 05-01-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit (Post 575648)
When the fish strikes do not pull the bait away from them, wait until you feel the fish on before you set the steel to him. They will often slap at the bait multiple times in one retrieve before committing. Fish will most likely be found in 3-4 ft water unless any drastic changes in weather for the next 2-3 weeks.

Great advice.

If the fish does not take lure after ......3 seconds, lift your rod tip up just enough to "twitch" the bait a little. Moving the bait a little will often trigger a strike. If nothing happens after another few seconds.....repeat.

Salty 05-02-2013 12:49 AM

No need to set the hook when fishin topwaters. "Reel 'til ya feel". Honestly, does color really matter on a topwater lure? :rolleyes: :shaking:

eman 05-02-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 575860)
No need to set the hook when fishin topwaters. "Reel 'til ya feel". Honestly, does color really matter on a topwater lure? :rolleyes: :shaking:

Maybe to the difference in dark vs light colors The rest is just to catch fishermen.;)

bjhooper82 05-02-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 575860)

Me and two other guys who are members of this site went on a trip with capt Jack Corbello and I was throwing a small skitter walk in hot chartreuse and getting blown up pretty much every cast. They threw every color in the box at them and didn't catch anything. I caught 14 fish on that one bait, so I would say yes color really does matter on a top water lure.

Feesherman 05-02-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 575868)
Me and two other guys who are members of this site went on a trip with capt Jack Corbello and I was throwing a small skitter walk in hot chartreuse and getting blown up pretty much every cast. They threw every color in the box at them and didn't catch anything. I caught 14 fish on that one bait, so I would say yes color really does matter on a top water lure.

Maybe the difference was in how u worked it. Or different line which offered more or less action. Could be more variables than just color.

Salty 05-02-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 575868)

The difference is called "presentation".

jchief 05-02-2013 01:32 PM

Probably 95% color doesn't matter, but sometimes I have seen it make a difference

Salty 05-02-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 576039)
Probably 95% color doesn't matter, but sometimes I have seen it make a difference

I understand that there are circumstances that appear as though one color appeals to fish more than another at times. IMO, 5% is being pretty generous, however. I would think that sound and, more importantly, presentation are the deciding factors.

bjhooper82 05-02-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 575981)
The difference is called "presentation".

So what your saying is I was the best fisherman in the boat that day??

muddywater 05-02-2013 10:50 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice.. Pretty good folks around here.

Salty 05-02-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 576176)
So what your saying is I was the best fisherman in the boat that day??

Maybe the luckiest? :rolleyes: There was something about the way you were presenting that particular lure that made the fish want to eat it. The fact that you were dragging it over feeding fish might have had something to do with it. :cool: When it boils right down to skill vs luck in fishing...luck will win every time.