SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Poor man Supplements for antler growth (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68537)

ahlangle 06-07-2018 08:46 AM

Poor man Supplements for antler growth

4 Attachment(s)
Starting to see several young bucks on my cameras here in N. LA growing some bone. Anybody got any pointers on how to supplement protein to help em with antler growth?
We don?t manage for deer/high fence/etc, and I sacrifice about 1/3 of my corn on the ground to the damn cows.
Just looking for something to help these little guys grow into something like their dad that i killed last year

bjhooper82 06-07-2018 10:57 AM

I’ve been told by some ole boys in Oklahoma that if you spread the corn out thin that the cows won’t mess with it. They will tear it up if it’s in a pile. We put out alalfa hay, it’s very high in protein and seems to have helped angler growth at our place the last few years. That’s a stud 8 point in the last pic btw!

ahlangle 06-07-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 836375)
I?ve been told by some ole boys in Oklahoma that if you spread the corn out thin that the cows won?t mess with it. They will tear it up if it?s in a pile. We put out alalfa hay, it?s very high in protein and seems to have helped angler growth at our place the last few years. That?s a stud 8 point in the last pic btw!

Thanks. I actually do spread the corn thin and that does work well.
I've got tons of hay, but doubt i could spread it out thin enough to where cows wouldnt mess with it (?)

DaPointIsDaBomb 06-07-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 836379)
I've got tons of hay, but doubt i could spread it out thin enough to where cows wouldnt mess with it (?)

Shoot the cows. Better eating and more meat

ahlangle 06-07-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 836380)

Very true

bjhooper82 06-07-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahlangle (Post 836379)

Yeah, my bad, I didn?t think about that. I think the cows will eat just about what ever you put down, especially alalfa hay!

bjhooper82 06-07-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb (Post 836380)

I agree with this!!

jkcckc2002 06-15-2018 01:52 PM

Try adding mineral stations. At my lease I started putting out minerals about 7 years ago year round. All the little basket racked 3 yr olds are gone and now have some nice racked 2 yr olds. We dont have the genetics to grow really big racks there but they have improved with just cheap 50#cattle blocks. Besides they will be atracking them before the season which makes good camera spots with out all the coon pics you get with corn. But the cattle will be there getting minerals also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Andy C 06-15-2018 11:01 PM

Cotton seed, but you have to pull it by July.