SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fort Polk is Open (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48321)

Slidellkid 10-02-2013 02:28 PM

Fort Polk is Open

Just an FYI. There was some talkt that hunting on Fort Polk would be closed. I spoke to the Game Warden and this is not the case. My son and I are going to try to get a squirrel or two this weekend.

AceArcher 10-02-2013 02:31 PM

sounds like some people made some good solid common sense decisions and decided to keep it open...

That's awesome... hope you guys tear em up!

Jordan 10-02-2013 05:29 PM

dan, which game warden did you talk to ?

haoward 10-02-2013 05:52 PM

I will NEVER ever step foot into Fort Polk ever again!

jchief 10-02-2013 07:45 PM

Ft Polk is a state WMA,

Slidellkid 10-03-2013 02:54 AM

Jordan, it was the main guy, the LT, can't remember his name. I also went out to to do a little squirrel scouting there were other folks out and about too.

Jude, I know it's a state WMA but it's owned by the feds and the game wardens are actually federal employees and that was what I was worried about.

Duck Butter 10-03-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haoward (Post 632827)
I will NEVER ever step foot into Fort Polk ever again!

:rotfl: You must have served in the army there. Place sucks to train there but it is full of wildlife

duckman1911 10-03-2013 08:59 AM

Thats up in my neck of the state. Have never hunted there though. Hope y'all do good slidell.

Jordan 10-03-2013 09:02 AM

you spoke with dan. Be careful. There are deer hunters in the woods... go after daylight or wear some sort of hunter orange. Seen many of people walk out of them woods with arrows in them or a GSW..

Duck Butter 10-03-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 632949)
you spoke with dan. Be careful. There are deer hunters in the woods... go after daylight or wear some sort of hunter orange. Seen many of people walk out of them woods with arrows in them or a GSW..

Hunters getting shot by arrows and guns on Ft Polk? :confused:

Goooh 10-03-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 632953)
Hunters getting shot by arrows and guns on Ft Polk? :confused:

He's that story teller?

Sent

Duck Butter 10-03-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 632956)
He's that story teller?

Sent

hide yo wife hide yo kids, they shooting erybody up in herra:grinpimp:

Jordan 10-03-2013 09:39 AM

believe it or not.... Ive seen at least 2 of each case. One fella "thought" a rabbit hunter was a deer and launched an arrow at him and got him in the arm... none were "serious" but Ft polk is pressured. You gotta think, there is 9,000+ soldiers on post. Ft Polk acerage is 105,000+.. thats roughly 1 soldier per 11 acres.... 1/2 of the acerage is not huntable due to it being a range or training area. Basically what im saying or getting at is that there are too many people hunting too small of a space.

Here is a link to a fatal hunting accident... didnt take place on ft polk, but involved a soldier...

Slidellkid 10-03-2013 09:40 AM

I will have my little boy with me. I will be hunting in a shotgun only area. We will wear orange while walking but will take it off while sitting. I think I found an out of the way spot that nobody will bother us in.

Jordan 10-03-2013 09:55 AM

good deal... good luck

Duck Butter 10-03-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 632960)
believe it or not.... Ive seen at least 2 of each case. One fella "thought" a rabbit hunter was a deer and launched an arrow at him and got him in the arm... none were "serious" but Ft polk is pressured. You gotta think, there is 9,000+ soldiers on post. Ft Polk acerage is 105,000+.. thats roughly 1 soldier per 11 acres.... 1/2 of the acerage is not huntable due to it being a range or training area. Basically what im saying or getting at is that there are too many people hunting too small of a space.

Here is a link to a fatal hunting accident... didnt take place on ft polk, but involved a soldier...

Hunting accident in Fort Polk. - Bayou Bucks Hunting Community

9,000 soldiers doesn't mean they will all be in the woods, maybe a couple hundred of them. You really get to see people for who they are when they take off the uniform on the weekends. Most of em never handled a weapon in their lives (or a legal weapon):grinpimp:

you got a much much better chance of getting shot in Leesville proper than in the woods of Ft Polk

Jordan 10-03-2013 10:00 AM

true....

AceArcher 10-03-2013 11:27 AM

Any public hunting area is a good place to make sure that you wear plenty of hunter orange.

Also make sure that you clear your target and downrange from it before you shoot. For some silly reason bowhunters love to let other hunters walk past them when they are in a treestand, without letting them know they are there. This becomes a problem when the other hunter is squirel hunting and then one runs up a tree.

I have to chuckle a little bit about the numbers, Although it's true that there isn't really going to be 1 hunter every 11 acres on ft. polk. the hunter density is still pretty high. I remember hunting Ft. Meade in maryland, on opening day of gun season the hunter density there was right at 1 hunter per 5 acres. There were places you could go to where it looked like hunter orange flowers were growing out of half the tree's in the woods. (maryland is notoriously shy of public property for hunting) It didn't take me long to find some private land to hunt up there.

Be safe... have fun :)

Jordan 10-03-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceArcher (Post 632985)
Any public hunting area is a good place to make sure that you wear plenty of hunter orange.

Also make sure that you clear your target and downrange from it before you shoot. For some silly reason bowhunters love to let other hunters walk past them when they are in a treestand, without letting them know they are there. This becomes a problem when the other hunter is squirel hunting and then one runs up a tree.

I have to chuckle a little bit about the numbers, Although it's true that there isn't really going to be 1 hunter every 11 acres on ft. polk. the hunter density is still pretty high. I remember hunting Ft. Meade in maryland, on opening day of gun season the hunter density there was right at 1 hunter per 5 acres. There were places you could go to where it looked like hunter orange flowers were growing out of half the tree's in the woods. (maryland is notoriously shy of public property for hunting) It didn't take me long to find some private land to hunt up there.

Be safe... have fun :)

This is a BIG issue with the GSW rate being high.... But im just a story teller

Goooh 10-03-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 632987)
This is a BIG issue with the GSW rate being high.... But im just a story teller

You said it like you had personally walked by guys with arrows hanging out of them. Like the old guy that was there for it all, but actually just claimed stories as his own experience, even though he was nowhere around.

Sent