SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oyster season closed (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66476)

ckinchen 02-14-2017 11:18 PM

Oyster season closed

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article131899184.html

Southern Sportsman 02-15-2017 07:29 AM

Yea !!!! you don't think they could have noticed that before it opened this year !!!

meaux fishing 02-15-2017 11:15 AM

Hopefully it's gonna stay closed for a couple of years

"W" 02-15-2017 12:22 PM

I spent two hours on the phone with BART R. YAKUPZACK and number of emails .

I never want someone to lose a job but I blame WLF for allowing this to go on for this long. They should of made the move back to tong only 3 years ago and everyone would have a job but now it could be over for many years !

I'm sure they are going to push hard for Sabine to open up next season !

Jrchip1 02-15-2017 12:28 PM

Not often you see recreational win over commercial. Tongs and hopping out onto the reefs, in super low tides, is OK I guess, if regulated. Of course it's not as productive as dragging. There are still many ways for a daily "Recreational harvest" to end up being "sold". It doesn't take a genius to see this happening, if you hang around certain Landings for awhile.

Trust me, there are a lot of money sucking Lawyers tied in with the Oyster Fisherman also. They love to claim bla bla, for a damage settlement, with the Oil Companies, if they set up a rig or platform anywhere near some Oyster Grounds/Allotments. Rumor had it that a lot of Oyster Harvesters, made more on settlements, than Oysters.

redchaserron 02-15-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrchip1 (Post 815803)
Not often you see recreational win over commercial. Tongs and hopping out onto the reefs, in super low tides, is OK I guess, if regulated. Of course it's not as productive as dragging. There are still many ways for a daily "Recreational harvest" to end up being "sold". It doesn't take a genius to see this happening, if you hang around certain Landings for awhile.

Trust me, there are a lot of money sucking Lawyers tied in with the Oyster Fisherman also. They love to claim bla bla, for a damage settlement, with the Oil Companies, if they set up a rig or platform anywhere near some Oyster Grounds/Allotments. Rumor had it that a lot of Oyster Harvesters, made more on settlements, than Oysters.

They certainly did in the initial caernarvon water diversion settlement.

rardoin 02-15-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchaserron (Post 815808)
They certainly did in the initial caernarvon water diversion settlement.

You got that right:pissed:. I know an attorney from Plaquemines Parish that was able to get a settlement on property that had not had oysters harvested on it in over 25yrs....and a handsome settlement it was. Complete BS and he was proud of how he worked the system...:shaking:.

skeeter77346 02-15-2017 09:19 PM

Yep, lots of scams. Farm them vertically. That is being done on Grand Isle now. They are all over in my canal and on my boat dock ladder. Thinking a vertical 'PVC fence' on my bulkhead would capture way more than I can eat each season just behind my camp.

redchaserron 02-16-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter77346 (Post 815821)
Yep, lots of scams. Farm them vertically. That is being done on Grand Isle now. They are all over in my canal and on my boat dock ladder. Thinking a vertical 'PVC fence' on my bulkhead would capture way more than I can eat each season just behind my camp.

I heard a great interview with the people farming them at Grand Isle and some of their restaurant customers. It's a bit more involved than that, but the restaurant folks in the interview said the product was excellent.

Southern Sportsman 02-17-2017 08:39 AM

Well thanks to W and people like that got on LWF a$$ to have something done. I know a few of the oyster fisherman and all of them are hard working good people making a living. But the reefs are not big enough to get hit that hard every year. In Texas and every where else they have to seed other site and make new reefs for later use, here it was all take and no give !!!

DaPointIsDaBomb 02-17-2017 09:54 AM

Now they ar shutting down crabbing for a month starting next week

swglenn 02-18-2017 10:25 AM

If the crabbing shutdown for a month is true for Calcasieu lake it is a shame we can't have a crab pot cleanup. The only way to truly shutdown crabbing for a month is to have all of the crab pots removed from the lake. Then any remaining traps are declared abandoned and subject to removal by anyone without being subject to prosecution for touching them.

evis102 02-18-2017 02:28 PM

Sabine will never be opened again for oystering. Most of the large reefs are on the Texas side and the ones on the Louisiana side see to much fresh water. I talked to a state biologist at the boat ramp a few months ago. They said bacteria levels have not been low enough for harvest in years.

DaPointIsDaBomb 02-18-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swglenn (Post 815904)
If the crabbing shutdown for a month is true for Calcasieu lake it is a shame we can't have a crab pot cleanup. The only way to truly shutdown crabbing for a month is to have all of the crab pots removed from the lake. Then any remaining traps are declared abandoned and subject to removal by anyone without being subject to prosecution for touching them.

That's exactly what's going to happen brotato chip

Pull n Pray 02-18-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swglenn (Post 815904)

i read somewhere that they are doing exactly that. Any traps in the lake will considered abandoned or illegal and will be removed.