SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   coke screwed up (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51093)

eman 02-02-2014 10:30 PM

coke screwed up

Looks like coca cola screwed the pooch w/ this one. Unbelievable amount of negative backlash !

flounder_smacker 02-02-2014 10:36 PM

i dont see why people are so upset about this. coca cola is an american based company but they have factories all over the world. seems like they are just thanking everyone. at least they left God in the lyrics.

bgizzle 02-02-2014 10:37 PM

What's wrong with it

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

BassYakR 02-02-2014 10:41 PM

I dont agree with what they did...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mcjaredsandwich 02-02-2014 10:44 PM

heaven forbid they make a commercial to represent the cultural diversity of this nation

Matt G 02-02-2014 10:54 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's no different than older Cajun members of the VFW saying the Pledge of Alegiance in French.

Bluechip 02-02-2014 10:55 PM

How quickly people forget we were all immigrants at one time. Or at least the ones before us.

Sightwindow 02-02-2014 11:01 PM

I pity the people who have a problem with this.

MathGeek 02-02-2014 11:42 PM

My grandmother's parents insisted on speaking english in the home after immigrating from Costa Rica. We're all Americans of hispanic descent, but we're Americans. We don't need or ask folks to speak spanish to make us feel more welcome.

A difficulty caused my great grandparents to have to stop over in Cuba for seven years while my great grandfather made shoes to earn enough money to complete the voyage. My aunt America was born during this time. She just turned 99.

Their generation of immigrants did not pretend that America would be free or easy, nor did they aspire to maintain allegiance to the nations or cultures that had failed them. They became unhyphenated Americans. They adapted to their new country. They did not expect their new country to adapt to them.

1fastmerc 02-02-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 663279)
My grandmother's parents insisted on speaking english in the home after immigrating from Costa Rica. We're all Americans of hispanic descent, but we're Americans. We don't need or ask folks to speak spanish to make us feel more welcome.

A difficulty caused my great grandparents to have to stop over in Cuba for seven years while my great grandfather made shoes to earn enough money to complete the voyage. My aunt America was born during this time. She just turned 99.

Their generation of immigrants did not pretend that America would be free or easy, nor did they aspire to maintain allegiance to the nations or cultures that had failed them. They became unhyphenated Americans. They adapted to their new country. They did not expect their new country to adapt to them.

X2. Very well said and so true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Top Dawg 02-02-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 663262)
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's no different than older Cajun members of the VFW saying the Pledge of Alegiance in French.

This ad really irritates me. My grandparents were scorned for speaking French in school. They were taught if you were going to live in America, you speak English. Otherwise me and a lot of ppl on this site would be fluent in our native language. But now we have to cater to everyone else? Just aggregating to me that now it's ok and shoved down our throats.

Natural Light Kid 02-03-2014 12:09 AM

I have no problem what so ever with immigrants. Legal ones that is.

jdog1908 02-03-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 663279)

Thanks for that story, my family came from itally,went to work, assimilated and built a life, never asked anything from anybody,,sad it's not that way these days..so AMEN bro

Dogface 02-03-2014 12:31 AM

I don't have a problem with it.

Loneshark 02-03-2014 12:44 AM

I have no problems with the ad.

If you want to learn French now to carry forward your heritage. Go for it. I have my kids enrolled in a French immersion school for that reason.

Mako19 02-03-2014 02:19 AM

Wow, if you guys let something like this bother you then you must spend a large portion of your lives walking around being pissed off.

Matt G 02-03-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 663282)
This ad really irritates me. My grandparents were scorned for speaking French in school. They were taught if you were going to live in America, you speak English. Otherwise me and a lot of ppl on this site would be fluent in our native language. But now we have to cater to everyone else? Just aggregating to me that now it's ok and shoved down our throats.

You are correct. If our grandparents weren't forced to stop using their native language, we would all be fluent in Cajun French. Unfortunately, that's not the case and the Cajun French language will be gone in a very short time. Because we gave up ours, does that make it right that we demand today's LEGAL immigrants to turn their back on their heritage?

mcjaredsandwich 02-03-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 663282)

I wonder how native Americans feel.

swamp snorkler 02-03-2014 07:23 AM

Je n'ai pas de problème avec elle, nous étions tous fois immigrés. Je suis sûr que mes ancêtres n'est pas venu ici légalement.

Ich habe kein Problem damit, wir waren alle einmal Einwanderer. Ich bin ziemlich sicher, dass meine Vorfahren rechtlich nicht kamst.

I don't have a problem with it, we were all once immigrants. I'm pretty sure my forefathers didn't come here legally.

Top Dawg 02-03-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich (Post 663302)
I wonder how native Americans feel.

No **** huh?