SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Marsh blinds (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61813)

BGcoreg 09-21-2015 04:52 PM

Marsh blinds

We have 3 blinds at our lease and they are all above ground. No pits. Water level in the ponds are around 3-4ft deep.
Around the blinds it is starting to get deeper, late December you have to start watching your elbows or they'll get wet as the water comes up.
And ideas for some type of steps or platforms that can be put underwater to keep from making it deeper. I was pondering putting wooden pallets by the entrances to the blind where we climb in.
Problem is the water never gets low enough to construct something at those levels.
Any thoughts?

capt coonassty 09-21-2015 04:57 PM

Plastic bread trays if you can find them.

Quackhead62 09-21-2015 06:15 PM

Fiber glass grating works great. We have walk ways to all of our blinds and too our boats in the marsh. Just drive two 2 X 4's and put a 2 X 6 across the top to screw the grating down too. We can hunt any of our blinds in ankle boots if we'd want too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beachblind 09-21-2015 06:38 PM

Drop some bags of quick crete and let them set up a day or two... Did that to the entrance of my marsh blind that has sat in the same location for 20 years..... Have created a nice hole in that time and the bags have helped me.....

BGcoreg 09-21-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackhead62 (Post 773688)
Fiber glass grating works great. We have walk ways to all of our blinds and too our boats in the marsh. Just drive two 2 X 4's and put a 2 X 6 across the top to screw the grating down too. We can hunt any of our blinds in ankle boots if we'd want too.

How wide is your walkway?

Quackhead62 09-21-2015 06:58 PM

It varies on the drop off pieces that we get from work anywhere from 18"-12"

BGcoreg 09-21-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachblind (Post 773689)
Drop some bags of quick crete and let them set up a day or two... Did that to the entrance of my marsh blind that has sat in the same location for 20 years..... Have created a nice hole in that time and the bags have helped me.....

How many bags you think it took you? Some of the spots are a little wide . Like a sheet of plywood

beachblind 09-21-2015 07:08 PM

Marsh blinds

My hole wasn't that big just placed a couple bags to start with and went from there.... Even placed a couple on top of each other and created a step up into the blind....

BGcoreg 09-21-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachblind (Post 773696)
My hole wasn't that big just placed a couple bags to start with and went from there.... Even placed a couple on top of each other and created a step up into the blind....

Guess I could start emptying bags and getting to it

Bluechip 09-21-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGcoreg (Post 773698)
Guess I could start emptying bags and getting to it

Don't empty them. Place the whole bag in the water.

beachblind 09-22-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 773716)
Don't empty them. Place the whole bag in the water.

Yes what he said just or place bag on location and just let get hard.... You'll have a hard sack xxx solidified where you placed it when you return the next time

B-Stealth 09-22-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackhead62 (Post 773693)
It varies on the drop off pieces that we get from work anywhere from 18"-12"

Lol yea fiberglass grating is awesome if your not buying it; that stuff is expensive.

Quackhead62 09-22-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 773720)
Lol yea fiberglass grating is awesome if your not buying it; that stuff is expensive.

Yea we are just lucky that we are in the right line of work to get some scraps.

C-Bass2mouth 09-22-2015 07:17 AM

We've used pallets around our marsh blind, but eventually they break and you can step through them. Our dogs constantly stayed with cut up pads and ankles. That had to be what was doing it. What about sand bags if you're just trying to make a step up? Unless they cost as much as quick crete.

Duffy.yyz 09-22-2015 07:40 AM

hay bales..