SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ouachita WMA trip (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5637)

RaginCagin 12-01-2009 04:05 PM

Ouachita WMA trip

6 Attachment(s)
Well we made a trip to the Oua****a river to hunt some public land at the Oua****a wma and had a great time but blew several opportunities and had some close calls with disaster. Started off Scouting Wednesday in some of the most beautiful woods I have ever seen. After jumping 2 bucks bedded on tree tops in a flooded bottom me and another guy(R-T-GO from here) settled on an area where an oak flat met up with the flooded bottom.(I attached some pics from the stand below). Thursday morning at 7:20 I heard a deer in the water and look to my left to see a 8 pt. coming towards me. It never came closer than 55 yards and I took the shot with my bow and pulled it just missing him. My buddy who was 175 yards away missed a doe with his bow and saw 2 others. We did not hunt that afternoon to let the spot rest. Friday morning we took out the boom sticks and headed to the same stands. Right at day light my buddy shot a doe then at 6:40 I heard grunting and had a doe run under my stand. I look up to see about a 135-140 class buck coming straight at me. I put it on his neck but waited for a broad side shot since the doe was at my stand I figured I would get a chip shot. Well he got about 50 yards then just spun around and went right where he came from with no shot taken. I was so sick I almost threw up off of my stand. 10 minutes later my buddy shot the 8 pt. I missed the day before with my bow. It was getting late and I was packing my gear when I heard something crossing the water and saw it was a doe so I took her. The next morning we brought another buddy of ours with us to get them in on the action and he took a young doe and missed out on a small buck. Now to the bad. We hung a lock on in a large willow tree and my buddy was holding onto the end of it while standing on the branches when the ratchet strap broke and he fell to the ground. Luckily it was only 10 feet and he was ok but it could have been bad. Then Saturday I was doing about 35 mph down a levy on my bike when the ball joint broke sending me over the handle bars down the levy, then the next morning I drop my blackberry in the water. All in all we had a great time. Had ample opportunities at some good deer on public land none the less but we all at least came home with some meat.

RaginCagin 12-01-2009 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
few more pics

adamsfence 12-01-2009 04:08 PM

sounds like a great trip

Ray 12-01-2009 04:43 PM

Dang. That's nice...

SULPHITE 12-01-2009 05:11 PM

Man that looked like some fun except for your mishaps!!! Great pics and report!

shellman 12-01-2009 05:15 PM

Thats sure nice huntin boyz...

Ray 12-01-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellman (Post 84462)
Thats sure nice huntin boyz...

Git bak to work Shellman!:work:
No computer playin' on company time.:smokin:

Gerald 12-01-2009 05:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Great picture and report.

If you have never hunted in water......recommend that you give it a try.

SULPHITE 12-01-2009 05:45 PM

I was about to say...the firts pics...that looked like wood duck haven!!! Sure enough...they make the craziest little sound when on the water!

Did you see or hear any big ducks???

Gerald 12-01-2009 05:53 PM

At Sherburne.....in the woods it is 99.9 % Wood Ducks. Some years I will see a mallard or 2 in the main bayou.

In the past few years, before daylight I sometimes will hear quit a few geese. I think they are coming from the South Farm area.

"W" 12-01-2009 05:55 PM

SWEET!!!! Love that neck shot on that doe....Thats how I roll em

slick143 12-01-2009 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info. Look's like a great time

cordgrass 12-02-2009 07:44 PM

you camped with smiley and big kelly.

R-T-GO 12-03-2009 03:30 PM

Sure did! Shane was impressive as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaAngler 12-03-2009 05:18 PM

very nice man!

sending off your prize tomorrow, sorry for the wait

Hopedale Hustler 12-05-2009 02:34 PM

any ducks up there?

RaginCagin 12-07-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler (Post 86589)
any ducks up there?

They had alot of duck hunters up there. It is set up pretty nice with alot of flooded crp fields and bean fields for the hunters. The few guys we talked to killed a good amount of teal but most people around us were deer hunting. We were hunting so close to the levy of one of fields we could hear them say cut em right before they shot. We saw tons of ducks and geese at daylight flying right over the tree tops to the fields. You could hear the mallards calling. IMO it would be a very good public land place for hunting plus you can get by without a boat if you want to.