SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Conservationist's Corner (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Leucistic Alligator (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37018)

BloodKnot 10-08-2012 11:17 AM

Leucistic Alligator

1 Attachment(s)
Went to Rockfeller and saw this white alligator. It's amazing what these wildlife management areas offer to the public. Please keep these places beautiful.

SULPHITE 10-08-2012 11:40 AM

Neat...looks like he likes coco puffs...lol

jchief 10-08-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 501673)
Neat...looks like he likes coco puffs...lol

Thought it was left over rabbit turds from lunch

southern151 10-09-2012 09:17 AM

They have a huge white gator at the New Orleans aquarium. They are pretty cool to see!

swamp snorkler 10-22-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 501968)
They have a huge white gator at the New Orleans aquarium. They are pretty cool to see!

They have a few, my Dad's good friend has an alligator fram in Gibson, LA. He donated them to the ZOO quite a few years back. If they were in the wild they would be dead by now. He picked the eggs out of the wild and hatched them. Aliigators farmers take the eggs and hatch them, when they get to a certain legnth they have to to return half of what they took to the wild.

southern151 10-22-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 506602)
They have a few, my Dad's good friend has an alligator fram in Gibson, LA. He donated them to the ZOO quite a few years back. If they were in the wild they would be dead by now. He picked the eggs out of the wild and hatched them. Aliigators farmers take the eggs and hatch them, when they get to a certain legnth they have to to return half of what they took to the wild.

When talking to the zoologist there about the one I saw at the aquarium, he said that without their natural colors, they stick out like a sore thumb which makes them very likely to become prey to birds, fish and even other gators.

swamp snorkler 10-23-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 506697)
When talking to the zoologist there about the one I saw at the aquarium, he said that without their natural colors, they stick out like a sore thumb which makes them very likely to become prey to birds, fish and even other gators.

My brother in law told me that when they catch big alligators on there property for wild alligator hunting season they sometimes find the aliigators that they released in their stomachs. They eat everything imaginable.

jlsch1 10-29-2012 07:43 AM

I seen one 8ft white alligator in the early 1990's when fishing in the marsh out of Gibson, LA.
First, thought polution got to it, but my friend who was studying reptiles said it was a form of an albino gator.
It didn't have the pink eyes which a typical albino.
He was amazed a white gator would make it in the wild to grow to be an estimated 8ft.

ScubaLatt 07-01-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 506602)

Actually they return 17% back to the wild as this is the natural survival rate of 4' alligators.

breambuster 07-01-2013 11:08 PM

I think I seen a white one this weekend in Lacassine. That or a bag blowing across the water. Pretty sure it was a gator though