SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First Split (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67907)

Reefman 11-29-2017 05:50 PM

When its 45* degrees in St. Paul with no frozen lakes I'm surprised we have any ducks! Global warming anyone?

ckinchen 11-29-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 829308)
When Big C ain't posting up mallards and teal beat downs, we can all be assured that our season is gonna be rather slow. Our marsh is freshwater and primarily a big duck haven. Nope-not this year. Few good hunts like others and I just ain't motivated. Looks like the split will have great weather----for what? When the birds come down, they won't stay, which will in turn lead to a spotty second split opener. Maybe limits. Then if the weather warms up again, we all gonna be looking at the same empty skies this season.

Glass half empty? Lol

homerun 11-29-2017 06:53 PM

If any of you guys in southwest louisana give up the lease after this year. Let me know Please.
Can pm me on here.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

BIG-C 11-29-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 829320)
Glass half empty? Lol

Big-C aint posting because he has only hunted the first two days and have not been back since.Did well opening weekend and have been smashing the specklebellies,just haven't posted those hunts because its not my blind,

ckinchen 11-29-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG-C (Post 829323)
Big-C aint posting because he has only hunted the first two days and have not been back since.Did well opening weekend and have been smashing the specklebellies,just haven't posted those hunts because its not my blind,

Man you never have bad days. You are either catching or killing limits daily.

all star rod 11-29-2017 08:26 PM

Hunted today my blind SW kaplan by my self. Trying to get my new lab pup up to speed by hunting her as much as possible. 2 teal, 1 woodie, 1 scaup and 2 ring necks. Trophy hunt with the way things have been...lol

noodle creek 11-29-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 829308)
When Big C ain't posting up mallards and teal beat downs, we can all be assured that our season is gonna be rather slow. Our marsh is freshwater and primarily a big duck haven. Nope-not this year. Few good hunts like others and I just ain't motivated. Looks like the split will have great weather----for what? When the birds come down, they won't stay, which will in turn lead to a spotty second split opener. Maybe limits. Then if the weather warms up again, we all gonna be looking at the same empty skies this season.

Was wondering how y'all were doing. Our greenwings just started to show up a little the last 2-3 days.

boatdriver 11-29-2017 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 829333)
Was wondering how y'all were doing. Our greenwings just started to show up a little the last 2-3 days.

Man, it hasn?t been that good. We are killing a bunch of ringnecks this year to offset the other ducks we normally kill. Specks are sparse, but the ones that are there just come to die. Guess it can?t be banner every year, but damn, it?s nice when it is! We have been seeing a fair amount of green wings. I️ wouldn?t say any record numbers, but the teal are helping us out, too.

boatdriver 11-29-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 829320)
Glass half empty? Lol

Yup, beginning to look that way!

me1ancon 12-01-2017 10:54 AM

only made 2 marsh trips, 1st trip (opening day)- 2 grays & 2 teal, 2nd trip- 2 teal, 2 blackjacks, 2 grays). rice fields haven't been any better for ducks but have been dropping spec limits regularly so it's not a total bust.

Dogface 12-03-2017 07:55 PM

Well, I’m kinda glad the 1st split is over. Although we had some good hunts it was below average to say the least. Even when we killed limits we were seeing very few birds and if it wasn’t for teal we would have been in trouble. Let’s hope the 2nd split is better.

specksNdaSURF 12-04-2017 12:50 PM

Killed 2 man limit in Pecan Island Sat. all BWT could had 4 man if had more guns..... and slept in Sun. morning bc fog was so bad ...i think full moon pushed a bucha teal on our place bc there was a ton for the first hour of shooting time Sat morning. Hopefully 2nd split is better.

Flex 12-04-2017 08:38 PM

Shot 4 GWT Saturday am. Had a bunch in the decoys but people across the lake shot a tad before LST and they took off. Not bad for a new spot, first GWT I've shot in two years I think. Skunked in the fog Sunday! To warm. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f47a63cad.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

meaux fishing 12-04-2017 10:30 PM

Shot a few geese and 2 teal on Sunday morning. Left at 930 to head to the saints game. Not many ducks flying S of Kaplan

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...686e7f4b4f.jpg

ckinchen 12-05-2017 07:47 AM

Shot 9 Sunday after the fog lifted four were scaup, two guns. Hoping for a better second split.

BIG-C 12-05-2017 08:41 AM

Our Sunday

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 829583)
Shot 9 Sunday after the fog lifted four were scaup, two guns. Hoping for a better second split.

Our Sunday after the fog lifted.Three guns.

bjhooper82 12-05-2017 09:23 AM

Big C and Lil c wackin and stackin!! Nice job again sir

all star rod 12-05-2017 09:37 AM

I find there are a lot of Scaup / black jacks this year. I normally do not shoot that trash but as slow as it has been I will shoot them.

Natural Light Kid 12-05-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 829591)
I find there are a lot of Scaup / black jacks this year. I normally do not shoot that trash but as slow as it has been I will shoot them.

Trash? Whatever. Guess you pass on spoonbill too? This ain?t Arkansas.

Feesherman 12-05-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 829605)
Trash? Whatever. Guess you pass on spoonbill too? This ain?t Arkansas.

Yes trash, yes pass on spoonbill too