SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offshore Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   fishing out of port fourchon (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36357)

mutttrk 09-19-2012 01:35 PM

fishing out of port fourchon

going to be heading out of fourchon soon, looking for any info that will help save some fuel. main target yft and hoo's. any location help, and rig info will be a big help. last time we came in so did a hurricane, hopefully this next trip won't be a bust as well. thanx guys

1234567 09-19-2012 01:41 PM

what kind of boat will you be running?

latravcha 09-19-2012 01:52 PM

What size boat. Out for that area you need to head south east towards the canyon. It is a lot closer than running due south. Try the tipical rigs. WD143, devils towed. in that area the rigs are thick should not have a problem finding fish. Another thing you can do is target sailfish on the edge of the canyon at night. Let me know if you need someone to split the cost. I fished that area once or twice a month when I had my offshore boat.

mutttrk 09-19-2012 02:21 PM

i'm in a 25' boat, we made it out 32 miles first time, but turned back and ran from 6'+ waves, current was to strong to do anything. what is "WD 143" and devils towed ?
would prob be great to have help paying for fuel, i drive in from texas, so trip does get up there.

meaux fishing 09-19-2012 03:13 PM

WD 143 is a rig. West Delta block 143 is the location. I think he meant to write devils tower. I'm not sure of the location though cause I just fish on other peoples boats offshore

GIBob 09-19-2012 04:01 PM

I think West Delta 143 is close to Sackett Bank (Midnight Lump)

http://www.geographic.org/geographic...ersea_features

latravcha 09-19-2012 04:25 PM

Sorry did want to type tower. It is one of the closest floating rig to the Mississippi river pass. WD 143 is a Shell platform close to the lumps at times of the year the lumps are great fishing. The thing I liked about fishing those areas are the short runs from one rig to another. Don’t know when you plan on making the trip but once we get to October and the fronts start back to back you will have a hard time finding days when the seas smooth enough to make it that far out of Grand Isle. Once November comes and it cools down and you have a day calm enough to make it out the tuna will be on fire. I had a 26' Grady White catamaran and could only fish 2 to 4 weekends after October because of the seas.
When I get home I will pull out some of my old maps and shoot you some numbers.

fishinpox 09-19-2012 05:29 PM

Better off leaving from Venice than fourchon

latravcha 09-19-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 494919)
Better off leaving from Venice than fourchon

Yep

mutttrk 09-20-2012 07:31 AM

I understand the whole venice being closer deal, but after the run down the river is there much of a difference, plus I honestly don't know the area, heard the river can be a bad deal if you don't know it. and I guess from any point just head towards the canyon ???
any luck on those #'s

swamp snorkler 09-20-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutttrk (Post 495141)
I understand the whole venice being closer deal, but after the run down the river is there much of a difference, plus I honestly don't know the area, heard the river can be a bad deal if you don't know it. and I guess from any point just head towards the canyon ???
any luck on those #'s

The river is really low right now too, If you not familiar with it, leave from Fourchon or the East end of Grand Isle.

GIBob 09-20-2012 07:41 AM

It is about 43 miles from Venice and 43 miles from Grand Isle. If its is rough you have the 15 miles(+ / -) of protected water from Venice - if it is foggy it gets real scary for me in the river - the fog can be bad from GI but you have a lot more room to nav around radar blips. In my previous post I gave a site for Sackett Bank info and the West Delta 143 Platform is located at position 28°39′42″ N, 89°33′05″ W. I've had some very successful trips to the MNL.

latravcha 09-20-2012 01:38 PM

PM Sent
These are some of the more popular cords in the area.
WD 143 is listed it is ~2 miles north of the lumps. To find the lumps run about 1 1/2 miles south then idle and watch for the changes in water depth. It happens pretty quick. I find the up current side of the lumps to be more productive. I have a few more that I will send you when I make to the camp and get my notebook. These will be areas where platforms were removes. They are some great areas for Aj’s. Not to many people fish here and I don’t know how many people know about them. I happen to just stumble on most of them while drift fishing.
Keep in mind I was able to comfortably run to these locations in my boat. I don’t
know the condition of your boat or what kind of range you have in your boat. I would suggest that you plug these numbers into your plotter in your driveway before you leave the house. Then plot your course so you know the locations you can run to based on fuel consumption of your boat. Also let someone know where you plan on going and when you plan on returning.
Also keep in mind the LOOP safety zone is between GI and some of the southern cords I sent you. Unless your boat is fast you will have to run around it. I was caught twice in my boat and was threatened to be reported to homeland security. The OSV they run for security is fast. Had a buddy with a contender 27T with twin 300's that had no problem running through. This will add an average of 12 miles to the trip.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Pick up the plot maps of this area before you head out. I think they are NOAA chart 11366 and 11367. 11366 being the most important one.[/SIZE]

fishinpox 09-20-2012 04:56 PM

If you run out of south or sw pass of the river you are fine , just look for floating logs ect. Id much rather run 25 miles protected in the river and then only 5-15 miles in open water than 35+ in open water if you leave from fourchon. Ive done both and have got caught in storms in both trust me being in a smaller boat its wayyyyy better limping back in to venice

latravcha 09-20-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 495376)
If you run out of south or sw pass of the river you are fine , just look for floating logs ect. Id much rather run 25 miles protected in the river and then only 5-15 miles in open water than 35+ in open water if you leave from fourchon. Ive done both and have got caught in storms in both trust me being in a smaller boat its wayyyyy better limping back in to venice

I would do the same thing. Chanel's are clearly marked down the river.

eman 09-20-2012 09:08 PM

Big yella hammers are being caught off the shrimp boats. stop an catch some Tuna crack and get after em.