SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   22MAG. self defense .... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66845)

lil bubba 04-23-2017 05:02 PM

22MAG. self defense ....

What do you guy's think of a 22 mag. 7 inch barrel revolver as a bedside gun ??? I'd say my first shot I pluck you in the gut I can put the second between the eye's cause anyone in my house in the night should be rolled out...We would be talking less than a 30 foot shot so the gut shot should give enough time for a more accurate follow up between the eye's....I hate to go spend the money on a new gun just to sit in the drawer just in case when there's a perfectly good 12 gauge with 00....

bjhooper82 04-23-2017 06:15 PM

I wouldn't carry a .22 mag for my everyday gun but just to keep on the side of my bed, hell yeah, why not? Let's put it this way, it might not have the stopping power of a .40 but if you pull a gun on me, I'm not hanging around to find out what caliber it is. Hell, I'd even run if it was a BB gun!

mr1bienvenu 04-23-2017 07:55 PM

Shot placement is everything so .22mag is just fine.

Broke Down 04-23-2017 08:52 PM

Long story but I went to school with a guy that got shot with one in the leg. Didn't go through and we used to poke him in the leg in class where he got shot. Like I tell my wife, most of the time the bang of the gun will do its job. My school mate said that was the scariest part....lol

woundedduck 04-24-2017 09:22 AM

Get a Kel-Tec PMR 30. Great little gun.

lil bubba 04-24-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woundedduck (Post 819221)
Get a Kel-Tec PMR 30. Great little gun.

I have a revolver . They so simple and eat any ammo you put in them . I been looking at them PMR30's though . 30 shots like making a spaghetti strainer....

Andy C 04-25-2017 02:15 AM

If your out of town a lot and your wife or kids don't shoot much. A .410 or for that matter any old pump you might have laying around.. that way it point and click, for you and you say you shoot well a .22 mag is more then you need.

jpd0144 04-25-2017 10:42 AM

I'll just say if your shooting at me in the confinement of a home with a .22 mag ... hit me or not I don't want any ! I've seen what a .22 mag can do to coyotes and hogs with well placed shots. Especially with proper bullet choice.

Cadrallen 09-21-2018 12:58 PM

Don't forget that the burglar probably has a gun too. In a home defense situation I would recommend a shotgun. I want to put down the burglar before he/she has a chance to shoot back. 5 shot auto is best in my opinion. Oh, coyotes and hogs aren't possibly shooting back and your heart isn't beating out of your chest. I don't have to worry about a well placed shot. My biggest problem is cleaning up the mess.

MattMigues 09-24-2018 06:43 AM

.22mag and 9mm are close in ft/lbs of energy.

bjhooper82 09-24-2018 12:28 PM

I agree that shot placement is most important thing but if your in a high pressure situation and have to defend yourself that all goes out the window. Nobody is going to take their time and aim for precision. That’s where a bigger caliber comes into play. You can be off the mark and still get the job done.

swampman46 09-24-2018 06:26 PM

For inside the home in low light conditions, a short barreled (barely legal) 12 ga with 00 buckshot. Not much aiming involved. Probably doesn't even have to be a 12 ga either.

duckman1911 05-02-2022 07:11 PM

Any gun is better than no gun. Would it be my first choice? Nope. Will it work? Absolutely. Recoil being very light would allow you to dump accurate rounds into a target quickly. The downside being you will have an empty gun fairly quick. That cylinder full would most likely get you through the initial threat and allow you to grab the 12ga for clean up work or for neutralizing additional threats.
Always remember that a handguns purpose is to fight your way to a long gun. Keep the 12ga close at hand. My bump in the night guns are a short barrel 12 with 5 rnds of 00 and a SBR in 5.56 with 25 rounds. It's just my wife and I at home so as long as she is still in bed beside me everything else is a target.

swampman46 06-30-2023 07:48 PM

Thats why I love my XDm-9. With 19+1 capacity, and the fact that I've learned proper trigger action, It shoots many rounds quickly. No one in his right mind will hang around. Just don't shoot him in the back.