SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cooking Red beans (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67381)

Gerald 07-26-2017 08:52 PM

Cooking Red beans

About twice a year I cook up a batch of Red beans [kidney beans].

Sometimes the "Gas factor" of eating the beans is not too bad..... some batches we have a lot of gas after eating the beans.

How much does soaking the beans in water help? How long should the beans soak in water? Is there anything to add to the water while soaking to help lower the "Gas factor"?

Feesherman 07-27-2017 04:56 AM

Soaking does nothing for gas factor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cappy 07-27-2017 07:44 AM

Cook em well and chew them good. What causes gas is when the lil guys in ya gut have to break down long strains of complex carbs and proteins. Either needs to be over cooked or well chewed so the guts dont have to work so hard. Farts are the exhaust of working lil motors having to chew up da beans for ya.

fishman57 07-27-2017 08:17 AM

Add a teaspoon of baking soda before starting to cook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil bubba 07-27-2017 10:18 AM

I read somewhere soaking beans sort of starts them fermenting . I never soak . I put in pot and bring to boil for a couple minutes and strain . Then start the cooking . When you see what looks like sewer water when you strain you'll probly start doing it all the time . I find they also have a milder taste and have been told less gas....

Feesherman 07-27-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman57 (Post 824133)
Add a teaspoon of baking soda before starting to cook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does nothing.

swamp snorkler 07-27-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil bubba (Post 824143)
I read somewhere soaking beans sort of starts them fermenting . I never soak . I put in pot and bring to boil for a couple minutes and strain . Then start the cooking . When you see what looks like sewer water when you strain you'll probly start doing it all the time . I find they also have a milder taste and have been told less gas....

Thats what I do to, on my first boil I put about 1/2 cup of salt to a gallon of water, I Strain them, boil them with fresh water and when the foam rises to the top I strain them again. The next time I just cook them, no more straining.

Gerald 07-27-2017 10:55 PM

Great information. I got another 4 lb bag to cook this weekend.

I will try the cook & strain with a little salt method. And I will be sure that the beans are well cooked. Soaking the beans really makes them swell up to where they get 3 to 4 times bigger.

Elbert Chamblee 07-29-2017 03:48 PM

Let us know if the rinse method works for you. My brother can make gas out of rice. lol