SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   10-22-10 (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14477)

specktator 10-25-2010 12:13 PM

10-22-10

1 Attachment(s)
Shot a little spike Friday afternoon in St. Francisville. Shot it for a doe right before dark. I am never using mechanicals again. Deer was quatering towards me. Put it behind the shoulder and it came out the stomach. Found my arrow covered in guts. Couldn't find a drop of blood just like the doe i shot last week. But i had my dog this time. Bring him to my arrow, he puts his head down, and runs straight to him.

longsidelandry 10-25-2010 12:23 PM

Nice job. The horror stories I keep hearing about mechanicals is why I never plan on touching them. I'm shooting Thunderheads right now and the closest thing to mechanicals I'll go is some Bloodrunners since it will still cut even though the head doesn't expand.

specktator 10-25-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longsidelandry (Post 202495)
Nice job. The horror stories I keep hearing about mechanicals is why I never plan on touching them. I'm shooting Thunderheads right now and the closest thing to mechanicals I'll go is some Bloodrunners since it will still cut even though the head doesn't expand.

I shot this deer with a Bloodrunner. It made a huge entry hole about 3-4" wide, but this is the second deer I shot with a bloodrunner and hardly any blood. Both shots were clean pass throughs.

LaAngler 10-25-2010 12:33 PM

Nice kill Seth. Text me when the fried backstrap is ready. :smokin:

I was thinking i'd see trout with i opened the thread.

specktator 10-25-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 202497)
Nice kill Seth. Text me when the fried backstrap is ready. :smokin:

I was thinking i'd see trout with i opened the thread.

Yeh I almost went sling some trout but opted to go hang in a tree and not fight the crowds Saturday. Think i might go fishing one morning this week.

longsidelandry 10-25-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 202496)
I shot this deer with a Bloodrunner. It made a huge entry hole about 3-4" wide, but this is the second deer I shot with a bloodrunner and hardly any blood. Both shots were clean pass throughs.

O damn, well cancel that thought then. I had a ton of blood once my arrow fell out my deer a couple weeks ago with that Thunderhead. I'm very impressed with them. He only ran about 50 yards.

Montauk17 10-25-2010 02:28 PM

Nice...I went to the angola prison rodeo yesterday and saw a huge buck on the way home.

Jordan 10-25-2010 02:37 PM

nice job seth !!!!

jldsc 10-25-2010 02:42 PM

what about tryin rage broadheads?? havent had a chance to kill with 'em yet but never heard anything bad from the guys ive talked to about them..

specktator 10-25-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jldsc (Post 202569)
what about tryin rage broadheads?? havent had a chance to kill with 'em yet but never heard anything bad from the guys ive talked to about them..

I have heard the same thing about Rage from lots of people too. They say that they open a big entry but it's just 2 blades so big slit they opened closes especially when they run.

jldsc 10-25-2010 02:51 PM

they started making a 3 blade last year or a little before that, I checked them out at Bass Pro

specktator 10-25-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jldsc (Post 202572)
they started making a 3 blade last year or a little before that, I checked them out at Bass Pro

U right. I never liked mechanical broadheads. Only reason I tried the bloodrunner was b/c they weren't a true mechanical more of a hybrid. No worry of it not opening. But I think I'm just gonna stick with my Muzzy's from now on.

LaAngler 10-25-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 202504)
Yeh I almost went sling some trout but opted to go hang in a tree and not fight the crowds Saturday. Think i might go fishing one morning this week.

looks like we have a front coming wednesday night, i hope the cooler weather stays.

wtretrievers 10-25-2010 08:16 PM

I shot a doe with a mechanical several years back, she was about 25' from the tree, when the arrow hit it dang near did a u-turn & came out pointing up! Have seen it on video slow motion of a deer quartering away arrow was placed at about the last rib & did the same thing, turned & came out in the guts pointing almost backwards. The thunderheads & muzzy's to me are the best bet. Have downed a many of them with the 100 gr & 125 gr thunderheads.