SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Homeowners Insurance in LA (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13137)

ScubaLatt 08-16-2010 09:16 PM

Homeowners Insurance in LA

I am shopping for a new homeowner insurance agency and can't find anyone writing in Louisiana. I have America First but want to shop rates. Does anyone have any ideas? I was told by Farm Bureau that they would write it but would exclude wind damage and I would have to buy that from LA Citizens (which I was told was expensive).

Any suggestions?

jldsc 08-16-2010 09:40 PM

I have farm bureau and its exactly like they told you, but I dont remember it being that expensive, I also did not shop around I already deal with farm bureau

hadabite 08-16-2010 10:57 PM

It's hard to find it during hurricane season. Many of them stop writing until it's over

fishinpox 08-17-2010 06:16 AM

go with safeco for your homeowners and auto . they arnt big in la so they didnt get hammered with all the hurricane claims ect..

Dink 08-17-2010 06:53 AM

I got state farm......no one could even come close on the price. They don't deal in citizens at all!!! My house is 1100 a year. You get a discount if you insure your car thru them too.......

Dink 08-17-2010 06:55 AM

Forgot.......EVERY other insurance was over 2000 a year......every one of them was involved with citizens

Raymond 08-17-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 187174)
I got state farm......no one could even come close on the price. They don't deal in citizens at all!!! My house is 1100 a year. You get a discount if you insure your car thru them too.......

Wrong Dink, every agent in Louisiana has a contract with La Citizens even State Farm. I believe SF just recieved a 22% increase on their HO policies so get ready for it.

Raymond 08-17-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadabite (Post 187163)
It's hard to find it during hurricane season. Many of them stop writing until it's over

The only when a storm is in the gulf do they shut down. All other times they can bind coverage at will. Flood insurance has a 30 day wait if it is not purchased as part of a loan process.

Dink 08-17-2010 10:21 AM

I specifically asked about it and they said no.......that's the main reason I went with them......the price reflects it too.......la citizens is high high!! I switched to them 2 ygs ago......

tumbleweed 08-17-2010 10:29 AM

I was informed by our insurance company last year we had to get a Hail and Wind policy for our house. It had to go through Citizens, there was no other choice. Louisiana is terrible about insurance. And we have an Insurance Commisioner, what the hell does he do? It is a racket.

southern151 08-17-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumbleweed (Post 187206)
I was informed by our insurance company last year we had to get a Hail and Wind policy for our house. It had to go through Citizens, there was no other choice. Louisiana is terrible about insurance. And we have an Insurance Commisioner, what the hell does he do? It is a racket.

Most of them wind up in prison in our great state!:pissed:

Raymond 08-17-2010 10:32 AM

Your price has nothing to do with whether or not a company writes through LAC. SF and others all use LAC to place business that they cannot write thorugh standard companies, it is a resource no different than you selling a low end safe when that is all there is money for but the client needs a safe.

The assessement everyone in Louisiana pays on their homeowners insurance is debt payment from Rita/Katrina.

jldsc 08-17-2010 10:46 AM

just talked to the wife we pay bout 1800$ year total with farm bureau and the la citizens, just citizens is bout 1200$ a year.

basinhunterfisher 08-17-2010 11:35 AM

i had state farm last year and my premium went from 1450 to 1950 in july, i said hell no and went with liberty mutual and i'm back at the 1450 range. 500.00 in one year that is rediculous.

southern151 08-17-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basinhunterfisher (Post 187219)
i had state farm last year and my premium went from 1450 to 1950 in july, i said hell no and went with liberty mutual and i'm back at the 1450 range. 500.00 in one year that is rediculous.

Mine jumped like that two years in a row with Farm Bureau(sp?). I switched to Foremost and they were cheaper but, now, they just jumped $400/yr with no claims filed! Looking into State Farm right now and they are looking at $1600/yr. That's $600/yr less than Foremost with more coverage! I will likely have to do this in another two years again!:pissed::pissed:

Insurance is a pain in the @$$!!!:pissed::pissed::pissed:

Shawn Braquet 08-17-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 187202)
Wrong Dink, every agent in Louisiana has a contract with La Citizens even State Farm. I believe SF just recieved a 22% increase on their HO policies so get ready for it.

my wife, who works for state farm, said the same thing. Our insurance on my house that i just sold was going to go up 400 bucks a year with state farm but the coverage and service has been great. Maybe thats because i keep my service girl happy most nights :work:.

rambler 08-17-2010 12:20 PM

i shopped prices a few weeks ago

i have america first also and i was attempting to get rid of them.

i found that no one could provide the same coverage for the price - i'm lucky enough that i don't have a "named storm" or wind deductible or whatever its called, i had the policy before katrina and rita.

i shopped state farm and all state...they could match price but not amount of coverage - they also require a "named storm" deductible.

i've had la citizens on a previous home and never had problems other than the CEO or VP being on trial for corruption...but i din't inquire about them this time.

southern151 08-17-2010 12:26 PM

State Farm claims a "named storm" deductible but, if you switch your vehicle over too, that goes away and you only have the usual 2% ded. You also get a 20% discount for switching your vehicle over.

All in all, I swear they just try to run you in circles to keep you confused!

Shawn Braquet 08-17-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 187241)
State Farm claims a "named storm" deductible but, if you switch your vehicle over too, that goes away and you only have the usual 2% ded. You also get a 20% discount for switching your vehicle over.

All in all, I swear they just try to run you in circles to keep you confused!

i tell my wife this all the time, then when i go to her state farm banquets and they talk about how good as a company they did that year but how they are losing money blah blah blah and we are eating steaks at lauberge...really must be hurting

Raymond 08-17-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 187226)
my wife, who works for state farm, said the same thing. Our insurance on my house that i just sold was going to go up 400 bucks a year with state farm but the coverage and service has been great. Maybe thats because i keep my service girl happy most nights :shaking::work:.

Guess you have her fill out a Satisfaction Questionaire:*****: