SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bass fishing in a a bay boat (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58536)

alphaman 02-22-2015 09:59 AM

Bass fishing in a a bay boat

How many of you guys bass fish out of a bay boat? I would like to get into bass fishing. Dont know much about it. What do i need bait wise. My boat has been sitting since september -October [emoji35]. so looking to do a some fresh water fishing bass bream sac.

I've been to henderson in my boat but what about lake martin in a 21st boat?

RichWentFishing504 02-22-2015 10:16 AM

I don't see why not. Those bass boats draft about 14-15".

DaPointIsDaBomb 02-22-2015 10:19 AM

You would be surprised at the big boats that people run wide open in Lake Martin. Buddy puts his Whaler in there all the time when the mudcats start running in April. Gotta watch out for them tour guides though, they think they own the lake.

LPfishnTIM 02-22-2015 07:31 PM

all you need is some bullet weights, extra wide gap worm hooks, zoom speed craws, brush hogs, worms, and some humdinger spinnerbaits! the only colors i fish with are watermelon red, junebug, black/blue and tequila sunrise. I just use med/hvy 7ft rods.

Hydro 02-22-2015 07:40 PM

Bass fished out of my 22' Pathfinder for years, fish didn't care :smokin:

Hydro

redaddiction 02-22-2015 07:42 PM

There are lots of people on Toledo Bend who use bay boats there.

marty f 02-22-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 741459)

Wifes already told me I have to take her brimm fishing in the bay boat

Pull n Pray 02-22-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 741459)

Toldeo Bend can get rough at times. A bay boat is nice to have on those windy days. It's funny to see my bay boat with a 90hp suzuki blow by bass boats with 250mp motors. INMO there isn't anything a bass boat can do a bay boat can't do. Bass boats are just more comfortable to fish out of.

toolpush 03-07-2015 04:42 PM

Do it all the time. Like Pull n Pray mentioned Toledo gets rough. Nice to not get wet when the lake is rough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C-Bass2mouth 03-07-2015 05:02 PM

Fished twice on Toledo this year out of a 24ft skeeter bay. Fish didn't mind a bit. If you have a shallow water anchor, I would actually prefer them to sight fish out of.

wishin i was fishin 03-07-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull n Pray (Post 741471)
Toldeo Bend can get rough at times. A bay boat is nice to have on those windy days. It's funny to see my bay boat with a 90hp suzuki blow by bass boats with 250mp motors. INMO there isn't anything a bass boat can do a bay boat can't do. Bass boats are just more comfortable to fish out of.

Yup, fished a friend tourny last year, they we all trailering their boats up and down the lake because of the chop on the water. The area we fished was 8 miles away. made the run like it was nothing,waves were 1-2. no other boats on the main lake except bay boats.

Bay boats in the bend are awesome. you can get em in some shallow water too.

Sightwindow 03-07-2015 09:26 PM

Don't bay boat blow around in the wind a lot more than bass boats? And bass boats aren't set up for 14 rods at arms length either.

CajunGTO 03-07-2015 10:45 PM

I have an 20' Xpress CC which I use to bass fish...it doesn't haven't the storage or the larger front deck of a bass boat, but It works for me at Toledo and Lake Fork when the big waves kick up. Then nice to pull the kids tubing in the summer.

MathGeek 03-07-2015 11:32 PM

The boat just gets you there and back safely.

What happens when you are there is up to you.

I've done most of my best bass fishing from a canoe.

A bay boat is a great choice for the larger lakes and reservoirs. I never saw the use of bass boats for fishing.

specknation 03-07-2015 11:37 PM

No you can not fish freshwater from a bay boat, and if you decide just to bass fish you we be required to get a bass boat come on everyone knows that.

AubreyLaHaye458 03-08-2015 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 743194)
A bay boat is a great choice for the larger lakes and reservoirs. I never saw the use of bass boats for fishing.

Bass boats are used for getting to and from your fishing spot as fast as possible. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Bass2mouth 03-08-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 743201)
Bass boats are used for getting to and from your fishing spot as fast as possible. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big decks really make it comfortable to fish from. More room for hook sets, tackle storage, rod storage etc. Recessed trolling motor foot controls, live wells, front mounted electronics (never seen a bay boat with one) and what nots. Just little things to make it more comfortable. If I don't have to make a 10 mile run in bad chop I would run my 19 ft bass boat over my buddies 24 ft skeeter any day (but I do want to bed fish one day out of it).
A lot of the 21 footers handle chop really well too though. But as soon as you think that you spear a wave goin 60 mph. lol

Goooh 03-08-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth (Post 743202)
The big decks really make it comfortable to fish from. More room for hook sets, tackle storage, rod storage etc. Recessed trolling motor foot controls, live wells, front mounted electronics (never seen a bay boat with one) and what nots.

Never seen a bay boat with one what?

Rod storage up front?

Deck space for hook sets on bass?

Room for TM controls?

This tread is out of hand

bayouchub 03-08-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specknation (Post 743195)
No you can not fish freshwater from a bay boat, and if you decide just to bass fish you we be required to get a bass boat come on everyone knows that.

Totally agree. This could possibly go down as one of the most ridiculous threads ever started on sc if the op was being serious. I understand the questions about baits but can it be done out of a bay boat is absurd.

Goooh 03-08-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM (Post 741454)
all you need is some bullet weights, extra wide gap worm hooks, zoom speed craws, brush hogs, worms, and some humdinger spinnerbaits! the only colors i fish with are watermelon red, junebug, black/blue and tequila sunrise. I just use med/hvy 7ft rods.

Alpha, take this post and roll with it - watch for stumps and make sure you have insurance that covers a lower unit getting ripped off if you plan to fish Henderson a lot though.