SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shed Build (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62532)

Jcredeur 12-06-2015 07:16 PM

Shed Build

I plan on starting to build a shed at our home in the next few weeks. I have some plans for a 12×24 wood frame shed. My question is, where would y'all recommend with the best prices for lumber in the Abbeville Kaplan area??

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

papap 12-06-2015 08:55 PM

Would think Stine's or Lowes.

swamp snorkler 12-07-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcredeur (Post 781020)
I plan on starting to build a shed at our home in the next few weeks. I have some plans for a 12×24 wood frame shed. My question is, where would y'all recommend with the best prices for lumber in the Abbeville Kaplan area??

Get a material list and have it bid out. In Raceland I got quotes from Lowes, Home Depot, Dufrene Building Materials, Robichaux Lumber and Lockport Farm Market.

Lockport Farm Market, 2nd smallest, was the cheapest.

Mine is 12'x20' on a pressure treated deck and it ended up costing me right at $3200 after everything was complete.

LP Siding, Archetectural shingle roof, 12" Overhangs, door hardware, soffit, nails, screws..... I didn't go "cheap" since you can see it from the road.

BassYakR 12-07-2015 07:39 AM

I am also in the market for a wood frame shed with floor. I have been seeing those premade ones forsale for around 4k delivered.... was thinking about building my own if there would be a decent amount of savings.

keakar 12-07-2015 09:42 AM

might be worth looking at these plans to see how they compare to yours and if you might like something better https://www.google.com/search?q=plan...Address&ie=&oe=

talk to your local lumber yard to see if they can hook you up with a discount but in most cases your not spending enough money to get a reduced price

you can save a lot of money and labor by going with a simple tin roof over framework rather then using a plywood and shingle roof

Jcredeur 12-07-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 781032)
Get a material list and have it bid out. In Raceland I got quotes from Lowes, Home Depot, Dufrene Building Materials, Robichaux Lumber and Lockport Farm Market.

Lockport Farm Market, 2nd smallest, was the cheapest.

Mine is 12'x20' on a pressure treated deck and it ended up costing me right at $3200 after everything was complete.

LP Siding, Archetectural shingle roof, 12" Overhangs, door hardware, soffit, nails, screws..... I didn't go "cheap" since you can see it from the road.

Cool deal. That's what I will do around here. I am pretty sure I can save a good bit verses the pre built ones. I also plan to change a few things from the set of plans that I have. I am going with a metal roof and the Hardy board exterior verses the T1-11.

Jcredeur 12-07-2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 781034)
I am also in the market for a wood frame shed with floor. I have been seeing those premade ones forsale for around 4k delivered.... was thinking about building my own if there would be a decent amount of savings.

I'm sure they are reasonable when labor and delivery are factored in but for me I need to save as much as I can! I am by no means a carpenter but I have a good friend who will be giving me technical advise and the plans I have are step by step/ cut by cut plans. I am pretty good at doing things if I have a guide.
Knowing me I will end up not being square in the end! Every deer stand I have built only looks square because I was able to make up differences with the exterior plywood!

BassYakR 12-07-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcredeur (Post 781044)
I'm sure they are reasonable when labor and delivery are factored in but for me I need to save as much as I can! I am by no means a carpenter but I have a good friend who will be giving me technical advise and the plans I have are step by step/ cut by cut plans. I am pretty good at doing things if I have a guide.
Knowing me I will end up not being square in the end! Every deer stand I have built only looks square because I was able to make up differences with the exterior plywood!

This is the reason why ill probably buy a pre built model... bc I am a terrible carpenter....I was lucky to add steps to my porch. lol

meaux fishing 12-07-2015 10:18 AM

Call Meaux Lumber in Kaplan. Good people and reasonable prices

keakar 12-07-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 781049)
This is the reason why ill probably buy a pre built model... bc I am a terrible carpenter....I was lucky to add steps to my porch. lol

have you considered one of these? they are the most affordable option and they are very strong

http://www.usmetalcarports.com/sizes...ramegarage.php

$3,055 delivered and installed for a 12'x26' garage, but the windows and a regular walk in door is extra

you cant build your own for anything near that low

Jcredeur 12-07-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 781052)
Call Meaux Lumber in Kaplan. Good people and reasonable prices

Is that The one on hwy 35 near Cheneau??

BassYakR 12-07-2015 10:43 AM

Thats not bad.... Are they open floor?

swampman46 12-07-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keakar (Post 781054)
have you considered one of these? they are the most affordable option and they are very strong

http://www.usmetalcarports.com/sizes...ramegarage.php

$3,055 delivered and installed for a 12'x26' garage, but the windows and a regular walk in door is extra

you cant build your own for anything near that low

I agree...if you can build if for less...I'll bet it's not much less. You would have to be getting some VERY special pricing. Not worth the trouble to build myself IMO. And of course, concrete is not included.

keakar 12-07-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 781056)
Thats not bad.... Are they open floor?

yes they are just walls and a frame so its bolted onto concrete slab that you pour, or can be bolted to a floor you build, or even simply anchored straight to the ground with a dirt or gravel floor if you wish.

this shows how they put one together over a gravel base https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441UbErRSAU

Matt G 12-07-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcredeur (Post 781043)
Cool deal. That's what I will do around here. I am pretty sure I can save a good bit verses the pre built ones. I also plan to change a few things from the set of plans that I have. I am going with a metal roof and the Hardy board exterior verses the T1-11.

I put T1-11 on my shed and I'll be replacing it with either Hardy board or metal soon. My walls are starting to warp pretty bad after about 5 years. I'll probably go with metal so I don't have to deal with painting. Nothing I hate more than painting!

swamp snorkler 12-07-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 781034)

I can tell you they take alot of shortcuts. For instance. No ridge beams. No Ceiling Joist, no collar braces, low pitch roof = hot as hell, single top plate.

It took me 2 weekends to build mine. I did a 7on12 pitch, don't go more than that. I paid $3200 for mine, off the lot would have been about $3800 not including any type of shelving. I have a workbench built on one end and a double loft on the other. I can also store stuff on top of the ceiling joist. Included in that $3200 was a trip to Harbor Freight where I bought a level, some clamps, a 21° nail gun, air hose and a 3 gallon air compressor. Also my sub floor is glued and nailed.

I plan to be in my house a long time, I wanted it to look good and last.

meaux fishing 12-07-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcredeur (Post 781055)
Is that The one on hwy 35 near Cheneau??

yeah on 35 between the big curves right when you come into town. We have done a lot of business with them over the years

bab52 12-07-2015 04:42 PM

X 2 on Meaux Lumber

kenmore_mo1 12-08-2015 04:39 PM

meaux's in kaplan is locally owned and has been for about 75 years, good people there, so its x 3 on meaux lumber in kaplan 3376437465, ask for boyd