SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Deer Season (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27603)

fishfighter 01-30-2012 11:51 AM

Deer Season

Well lets hear from the deer hunters, what was your final total? and did you have a better season or a worse season, or was it just the usual? Mine was the worse on record that i can remember, i didn't kill anything, and barely saw anything and past on the only thing i could have shot waiting on a bigger deer that didn't show up, o well maybe next year

p.s. I didn't even connect with a hog

BassAssasin 01-30-2012 11:54 AM

i shot 3 does with my bow and 2 with the gun. Saw lots of good young bucks. should be a good year next year.

longsidelandry 01-30-2012 12:04 PM

I saw lots of deer but only killed a 5 point with my .270 between Christmas & New Year's. If I would have gone with my gut instinct, I would have had the opportunity to shoot at a buck and a doe Saturday morning with my bow but because I decided to climb a different tree, I didn't have a clear shot. Then, of course, after moving to where I should have been from the beginning I didn't see anything. I am definitely pumped about next season and am trying to line me up some hunts at my boss's camp in Henderson since it doesn't close there til Feb 15th.

CajunSaint 01-30-2012 12:11 PM

Killed one SMALL six point with the rifle. Had two nice does at about 90 yards during bow season, but they would not come close enough.

wtretrievers 01-30-2012 12:43 PM

Probably one of my best years, passed at least 10 or more 8 points in the 12"-14" range, saw 2 absolute monsters I'd say in 140" class during bow season, ended up killing an 18" 8pt 215lbs (138") & my Wife killed 2 nice 8's one was 15" & good long tines & my oldest son killed a nice 8 pt 200ibs, & we knocked down a few does also, not a bad year at all for us.

latravcha 01-30-2012 12:56 PM

I hunt just north of Joyce la. We had a good season. Did not see as many deer this year but killed more good bucks than usual. Also had some weird things happen with the deer this year. Weekend before thanksgiving I was sitting in the stand and has a doe walk out and was about to shoot her and heard some noise to my left and there stood a good 8 point 20 yards away. Managed to get the gun out of the window and hit the box blind twice and he never moved. Dropped him in his where he stood with the 7mm. After I shot him I look out the other window and the doe was still under the feeder and I could not help myself shout her at 100 yards. Could not believe she was still there after I shot the other deer.
The Tuesday after thanksgiving my wife also had something weird happen. She had a 120lb doe walk out 40 yards form her shot her and dropped her in her tracks. She was all excited and talking to me on the phone when a wide six point walks out she hung up and a few seconds later I hear the gun shot. Well the six point walked out smelled the doe, nudged her like in the hind like he wanted her to get up. Then he walked around the front of her and kicked her. That is when my wife pulled the trigger. I have never seen a deer do that to a dead deer.

BIGJ 01-30-2012 08:43 PM

I killed a six point, cowhorn spike and doe. Enough meat for the year.

huntin fool 01-30-2012 08:49 PM

Didn't even lay one down. Watched plenty at beginning of season, hell, even passed on a doe last weekend. Got the horns in my mind. Ofcourse when I pull the bow out next year I won't see anything.

flounder_smacker 01-30-2012 09:12 PM

saw plenty prob let 15-20 walk. shot two does for meat. all the bucks i saw were young. as of right now i have 17 pigs down since september.

huntin fool 01-30-2012 09:17 PM

Just got the feeder filled and camera out for the marsh pigs. Let the death toll start.

jchief 01-30-2012 10:16 PM

Hunted more this season than I ever have and have one pig.

Son killed a 5 point and a doe over the last 2 weekends at Tensas.

southern151 01-30-2012 10:26 PM

Only deer I saw this year was on film...Sucked!!!!

Feesherman 01-31-2012 10:23 AM

I think this is the first year that I have not killed a buck. Yearly total for me is 3 does and 1 hog all on public land. Missed a doe with muzzle loader also. Only thing I killed on my lease was a coyote. No more leasing for me. Public only. Save all my money from lease, rice bran, and food plots for gas.

wtretrievers 01-31-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 384261)
Only deer I saw this year was on film...Sucked!!!!

Good thing I sent you all those pictures or you wouldn't have seen any!!!! You're welcome ;)

Lake Chuck Duck 01-31-2012 10:46 AM

I was able to kill my first deer up in Boyce. 12pt buck 175 #

Widowmaker 07-23-2012 01:39 PM

Ahhhhh heck it was OK....Altough my kill numbers were down this year i still had a good season....You know how it is......8 here 10 there another 5 over here....They all add up in the end......:cool:

specktator 07-23-2012 01:47 PM

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catal...ement%20system

Just ordered one of these with the gps modem that way I can keep an eye on em all the way till OCT 1st without having to drive all the way to St. Francisville. Will always be able to tell when I am out of corn too. :smokin:

meathauler 07-23-2012 01:57 PM

Saw a couple on lease in Longville that walked but hunted many hrs. Went to Miss and saw several small bucks. On the last eve I decided to pull the trigger and missed a doe trotting in the woods. Typical situation when you see a bunch the first day and it goes down hill from there.
Went to North LA and saw a big buck but had my bow and no shot.
Headed to Ala in Jan and hit the rut perfect. Slammed a 9 pt and a 8 pt.
A good year all in all.

whunter29 07-23-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 466333)
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catal...ement%20system

Just ordered one of these with the gps modem that way I can keep an eye on em all the way till OCT 1st without having to drive all the way to St. Francisville. Will always be able to tell when I am out of corn too. :smokin:

Seth how much did the whole setup cost? I am intersted in trying it. HB tried something similar a while back.

specktator 07-23-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whunter29 (Post 466395)
Seth how much did the whole setup cost? I am intersted in trying it. HB tried something similar a while back.

It's the same setup HB has. Cost $300 for camera and gps modem, but there are about 5 cameras that are compatible with the modem that are a little cheaper.