SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Finally some ducks at AJ's Lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62795)

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 03:54 PM

Finally some ducks at AJ's Lake

2 Attachment(s)
I own AJ's lake near Mamou. Ducks have been OK in numbers this year but nothing great. Finally last week we had good numbers of teal work the lake as well as some big ducks.

mriguy 01-04-2016 04:05 PM

Welcome to Salty Cajun.
Where is AJ'S lake? I am from the area, just curious

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 04:10 PM

Its off 104. Past the Biebers farm.

Thanks for the welcome.

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 04:13 PM

Bought property 4 years ago and started making lakes. First year to have water all season without DA*& beavers cutting my levees.

AubreyLaHaye458 01-04-2016 05:57 PM

Hey welcome! I'm from the area too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 07:50 PM

Hey Aubrey. I grew up in Pine Prairie. Seeing any ducks in Evangeline parish? I was told Millers Lake not doing well.

Matt G 01-04-2016 07:53 PM

Welcome aboard Doc. That's a nice little ride you got there. Is that just mesh with raffia grass on it?

meaux fishing 01-04-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tony Soileau (Post 783174)
Hey Aubrey. I grew up in Pine Prairie. Seeing any ducks in Evangeline parish? I was told Millers Lake not doing well.

I've heard it's the worst season at millers in a long long time

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 08:23 PM

Matt, it a gillie net I made. The boat is a Nucanoe. Super stable. I first painted a camo pattern on it and then made the gillie. I chose yarn that matched the area. I now have a trolling motor on it. it is awesome for floating through button wood or flooded timber. I will post photos tomorrow how I rigged it up.

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 08:24 PM

I heard that too about Millers.

AubreyLaHaye458 01-04-2016 09:30 PM

Yepp. Miller's is definitely having a down year. A couple guys are killing mallards on the right days but other than that it's all just a few teal and spoons and woodies

Dr Tony Soileau 01-04-2016 09:38 PM

Most of what we have been seeing is the same. Woodies teal and spoons. This past week we started seeing some grey ducks. None would commit. Did kill some black jacks last week for first time this year

AubreyLaHaye458 01-04-2016 09:56 PM

My family owns some farmland just north of Mamou and east of hwy 13, which is where I hunt. We've got a couple hindered poule d'eaus and quite a few spoonbills have been hanging with them. Impossible to compete with that group of birds

simplepeddler 01-04-2016 10:04 PM

Welcome.....post more of that Nucanoe.......I've been researching them for a while

Dr Tony Soileau 01-05-2016 08:31 AM

Simplepeddler, I was sold on the Nucanoe when I Jude with http://www.duckdownwaterfowl.com/ contacted me about filming some duck hunts at my lakes, AJs (Named for my 7 year old son Andrew Jacob). Nucanoe is one of their sponsors. Look at their site and you can see what they filmed. When I got out to lake there were four hunters with waders standing up in the Nucanoe and what could be called dancing. At first I thought they were nuts because it was freezing cold. And then I realized how stable it was. Then I went to Pack and Paddle in Lafayette. I spoke with John Willimas. He knows everything about everything about kayaks. I told him I wanted the most stable kayak to use to hunt with a 7 year old that wont flip. I have hunted out of a pirogue all my life. And yes I have flipped several times trying to shoot out of it. John told me without question the Nucanoe is the most stable. So thats the one I bought.

Dr Tony Soileau 01-05-2016 08:37 AM

I just realized their is a section for kayaks. Is it ok with the moderators if I post pictures of how I designed my Nucanoe here since the thread is already started? Sorry for the screw up on my part!

AlexOrtego 01-05-2016 08:56 AM

Dr. Soileau, Millers Lake is DEFINITELY down, worst year members that have been in there 30+ years say they could ever recall. I know a lot of ppl in it and get reports daily and sounds like you have to shoot LIGHTS OUT to make any hunt worth mentioning at all!

i think east zone closing two weeks later will help them a lot, it seems the east always gets the perks!

Dr Tony Soileau 01-05-2016 09:04 AM

Hey Alex. I hunted in Millers when I was very young when my Aunt Gladys ran the lake. Actually my daddy's aunt. So guess my great aunt. I have not hunted it in 20 years. I hear shooting in the rice fields in that direction. But not much. I hear Crooked Creek is also way down in numbers. Sucks that I am in coastal and dont get the extra two weeks.

PaulMyers 01-05-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Tony Soileau (Post 783218)
I just realized their is a section for kayaks. Is it ok with the moderators if I post pictures of how I designed my Nucanoe here since the thread is already started? Sorry for the screw up on my part!

By all means, post it up in there.

And welcome to SaltyCajun!

Dr Tony Soileau 01-05-2016 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK Paul and thanks.

Here are pics of the Nucanoe when I bought it. First thing I did was find some shot gun mounts for it that I could bolt through the mounting plate so they would be very secure. These are Sure Grip mounts. I did have to make some new holes in the kayak mounting plate.