SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Louisiana Sportsmans Coalition (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66491)

eman 02-19-2017 08:44 PM

Louisiana Sportsmans Coalition

If any of you are concerned with the loss of our water ways due to landowners claiming and gating them ,please look at Louisiana sportsman coalition. The easiest way is on Face Book.
We will have a booth at the Sportsman show at Lamar Dixon That will be showing how much tidal water is being claimed by land owners and how many of the gates and buoy lines and booms are illegal in themselves.
we are meeting with legislators to try to get a bill out for a vote .
if you dont face book here is a link. louisianasportsmenscoalition.com

boatdriver 02-21-2017 09:38 AM

Can you please explain to me what the sole purpose of this coalition is for? I've read the goals and I like 1-4, but #5 seems to be the real reason for this coalition. Is that correct? Why is is wrong for a landownerto gate off his or her PRIVATE canals on THEIR OWNED property, navigable or not? Also, I am a lessee of a portion of land and we have a gate for our landing and our marsh.... Why is it wrong that we only want to keep our paying members or other area lease holders as being the only individuals allowed on our lease? We pay good money for these rights. I'm not here to bash your cause or coalition, but I would like you to explain this more to me. Maybe it will open a new outlook to me for this coalition.

redaddiction 02-21-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 816043)
Can you please explain to me what the sole purpose of this coalition is for? I've read the goals and I like 1-4, but #5 seems to be the real reason for this coalition. Is that correct? Why is is wrong for a landownerto gate off his or her PRIVATE canals on THEIR OWNED property, navigable or not? Also, I am a lessee of a portion of land and we have a gate for our landing and our marsh.... Why is it wrong that we only want to keep our paying members or other area lease holders as being the only individuals allowed on our lease? We pay good money for these rights. I'm not here to bash your cause or coalition, but I would like you to explain this more to me. Maybe it will open a new outlook to me for this coalition.

Because LAND owners shouldn't be the same as WATER owners. No other state has WATER owners.

I should be able to drive through a bayou as long as I don't get out on someone's LAND!

Feesherman 02-21-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 816043)
Why is is wrong for a landownerto gate off his or her PRIVATE canals on THEIR OWNED property.

What's wrong is the public's resources are in there. You don't have any right to the fish, shrimp, crabs, etc etc in there. Those are for the citizens of Louisiana. If you want to gate it off and keep the public out then dam it up and keep our resources out as well.

cgoods17 02-21-2017 02:24 PM

can you post a map of all areas that are so public that are posted/gated?

boatdriver 02-21-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 816049)
Because LAND owners shouldn't be the same as WATER owners. No other state has WATER owners.

I should be able to drive through a bayou as long as I don't get out on someone's LAND!

Can't say I agree with that statement 100%... Here's why... I put the gate across my canal to keep people off my LAND. We have camps out there with valuables. No different than a home. I'm sure you and everyone else on this site are very honest people, but I don't know anyone's intention when they are navigating through my land or lease. Does that make sense? I understand about the whole resource deal, but it has been this law in LA since the beginning of time.

boatdriver 02-21-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 816054)
What's wrong is the public's resources are in there. You don't have any right to the fish, shrimp, crabs, etc etc in there. Those are for the citizens of Louisiana. If you want to gate it off and keep the public out then dam it up and keep our resources out as well.

Then tell me what the purpose of a gate is as opposed to a dam? You get mad cause the fish, shrimp, crabs, etc etc can get in there and you can't? It's to keep the folks that aren't part of the ownership and/or lease out. And, you and I both know that even if it was dammed off, you'd still get the people finding ways to get inside. I guess I'll get hammered for these comments, but that's ok, it's just the interweb....

cgoods17 02-21-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 816065)
Then tell me what the purpose of a gate is as opposed to a dam? You get mad cause the fish, shrimp, crabs, etc etc can get in there and you can't? It's to keep the folks that aren't part of the ownership and/or lease out. And, you and I both know that even if it was dammed off, you'd still get the people finding ways to get inside. I guess I'll get hammered for these comments, but that's ok, it's just the interweb....

well if you dam/levee it off then it is no longer navigable.

Top Dawg 02-21-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Yeaaa....... No

Feesherman 02-21-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Then tell me what the purpose of a gate is as opposed to a dam?

The purpose of a gate is to keep people out or off of your property. The purpose of a dam is to keep the people's resources off of your property. If it makes you happy, hang a gate over the dam.

cgoods17 02-21-2017 02:45 PM

or just sit at the gate and wait for fish and shrimp to come out. kinda like a weir

Fishfrey 02-21-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 816054)

Crap...does this mean I need to build a fence to keep all those public resource deer and turkey off my property???

boatdriver 02-21-2017 03:53 PM

I'm guessing that all of the individuals commenting about how "wrong" it is to gate off navigable waterways are guys that don't lease land for hunting and fishing, right? If so, just go ahead and let that landowner know that you won't be paying for the water part of it, because it's navigable, and that you'll just lease the land area. See how far that gets you... How bout we just give y'all some participation trophies??

meaux fishing 02-21-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 816069)
The purpose of a gate is to keep people out or off of your property. The purpose of a dam is to keep the people's resources off of your property. If it makes you happy, hang a gate over the dam.

Would you call that a dam gate?

boatdriver 02-21-2017 04:13 PM

And another point...... How in the hell will you convince a lessee that is leasing a section that it's ok to let anyone, anytime to just run through your duck pond while you are hunting just because it's a navigable waterway? Wouldn't that just tick you off???

noodle creek 02-21-2017 04:19 PM

I can see this from both sides. Put a gate up and I'm fine with that, or at least put up a sign. Problem is half the time people don't even know if they're on private land. If landowners want to get upset about people being on their land, they ought to at least put up a gate.

Also, I think there is a big difference between a natural bayou and a little tiny mud boat trail.

boatdriver 02-21-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 816087)
I can see this from both sides. Put a gate up and I'm fine with that, or at least put up a sign. Problem is half the time people don't even know if they're on private land. If landowners want to get upset about people being on their land, they ought to at least put up a gate.

Also, I think there is a big difference between a natural bayou and a little tiny mud boat trail.

Agreed, but at what point will these "caoalitions" stop? Because, technically, can't a tiny lil mud boat trail be navigable, at some point? So, at what point does it stop? This is the first listing on their "Vision and Goals" page.....

1. To represent all sportsmen of Louisiana, charter guides,
recreational anglers, commercial fishermen and persons in the outdoor industry related to their rights to fish and hunt on waterways or lands of this state.

I'm sorry and this is just MY view, but I don't think that everyone should just be able to stroll into our lease and just do as they please.....

meat killer 86 02-21-2017 05:09 PM

We have some property that the drainage board came and dug a canal through back in the 1950's when my dad was a kid. We own the everything around it. They dug It through or private property.
I alligator hunt that because it's my property. I hunt and fish it because it's my property. So explain to me how it's legal for someone to come and fish and or hunt on my property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feesherman 02-21-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 816088)
Agreed, but at what point will these "caoalitions" stop? Because, technically, can't a tiny lil mud boat trail be navigable, at some point? So, at what point does it stop? This is the first listing on their "Vision and Goals" page.....

1. To represent all sportsmen of Louisiana, charter guides,
recreational anglers, commercial fishermen and persons in the outdoor industry related to their rights to fish and hunt on waterways or lands of this state.

I'm sorry and this is just MY view, but I don't think that everyone should just be able to stroll into our lease and just do as they please.....

Louisiana defines what a navigable water way is. Google dat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

boatdriver 02-21-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meat killer 86 (Post 816090)
We have some property that the drainage board came and dug a canal through back in the 1950's when my dad was a kid. We own the everything around it. They dug It through or private property.
I alligator hunt that because it's my property. I hunt and fish it because it's my property. So explain to me how it's legal for someone to come and fish and or hunt on my property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to have a comment from an actual landOWNER... I'm just trying to figure out how this idea would be accaptable. As noodle stated, I understand both sides of the arguement.