SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Maiden Voyage......The good and the bad... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910)

Dink 08-03-2009 06:21 PM

Maiden Voyage......The good and the bad...

Wen't to V-bay Sat morning.............Wife, a friend, and I....The winds were HORRIBLE!!!! Which is kinda what I was lookin for....Boat handled the waves great!! A rather wet ride, but is was welcomed B/C of the heat. Waves were real big in the pass, but she took what the gulf threw at her!! Found lots of little white trout........But we weren't really there to fish. Wanted to put the boat through the paces........It did great!!!

NOW..........on to Sunday.......Got a couple buddies together and we headed out to fish..........soon as we got to the entrance of the pass(20 miles from launch), the motor started makin a funny noise, then slowed to a stop and of course.........died.........turn the key, and all I get is a "click"............Hmmmmmmm..........That's not good...........I says to myself......"Self...you is screwed!!!" After a few minutes, it turned over!! Then started!!! Not much power tho.........tried to get it on step, but couldn't and motor started makin funny noise again.............At this point it's 8a.m..................Told the guys.....well, crack a beer, it's gonna be a long ride home(good thing we had a case and a half)!! It took us 6hrs to idle in to the closest launch, which wasn't where I had put in(of course) bummed a ride to the truck, got boat hooked up and went on home...............It was an interesting ride back in w/ the crew boats passing and those HUGE wakes coming from 2 dirrections at once!! Specially when your at "no wake" speed and not out of the water!!!

all star rod 08-03-2009 06:42 PM

When you bought the boat did you test drive it and get a mechanic to go thru the motor. Also, I bet your motor is a MERC. Hope you get your problem fixed it and that will not be too costly. Good luck. One last thing try changing out your spark plugs.

adamsfence 08-03-2009 07:15 PM

dink you have luck just about like mine.

speckdaddy 08-03-2009 07:18 PM

betcha that ya have either water in fuel or bad plugs.gotta be , i am not a mechanic but ive had the same trouble on my first boat, drained tank,changed plugs, first crank no mo problems. whos ya boaty mechanic tim? i know a good ol boy behind doug asjy on johnston street. master marine is the name of his business. great mechanic and great prices too.

Montauk17 08-03-2009 07:26 PM

Do you have a water seporator filter...if not get one asap.First thing I would check is water in the gas,mayjor problem with the ethanol blended fuel we have now days.I work at the prop shop in lafayette if you need some help,I can help you on the side if you want.

Dink 08-03-2009 07:26 PM

it's goin to Master Marine in the mornin...........Looks like lower unit....ran it on the hose and put it inm gear......sounded like i was crackin pecans in there..........waqsn't much oil in there when i removed drain plug..........ugh.....learning experiance???

Montauk17 08-03-2009 07:29 PM

Was the oil in the lower unit milky,or have any metal shavings come out?

Dink 08-03-2009 07:30 PM

It's got a seperator.........first thing I checked.......nothin but good clean gas......seemed hot to me, but no alarm.........it's got a new impeller and pump......maybe that V6 just runs hotter than others?? idk............never was able to get it over 4900 rpm's either, so it was goin in the shop no matter what, now the bill will be a bit higher..........May as well get all this out of the way now!!! I'm just happy it didn't happen when My Wife and Family were on board!!!!

Dink 08-03-2009 07:32 PM

No milk.......plenty-o-metal shavings..........found a brand new unit on line for 795 by it now on E-Bay.......Hopefully that won't be needed.............

southern151 08-03-2009 07:56 PM

Metal shavings is NOT something that you want to see in ANY oil. I hope it's not KO'd. Keep us posted.

Montauk17 08-03-2009 08:01 PM

Does the horn come on when you first key up?If it doesn't the little tweeter under the dash is out,and it very well could have been overheating.Is it carb of efi?

all star rod 08-03-2009 08:31 PM

Yea metal pieces & oil is not a good combination. Usually even if you buy a boat/motor used does it not come with some type of warranty from the owner. Well I guess if you do not buy it from a boat dealer (used) then I guess it does not.

Dink 08-03-2009 09:01 PM

I purchased it from a dealership, but on consignment.........I talked to them today, answer was....."man that's some bad luck"..........not the answer I was looking for........No horn when key is turned........I noticed that when sea trialing, figured it was just a Merc thing........I'll purchase a new buzzer........

Dink 08-03-2009 09:02 PM

Oh......it's carb......

"W" 08-03-2009 09:02 PM

LMAOx1000000000000000!! Tim that's all I can say!!!! Dude get a Dell!!

LaAngler 08-03-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 29067)
LMAOx1000000000000000!! Tim that's all I can say!!!! Dude get a Dell!!

that was cold :eek:

all star rod 08-03-2009 09:26 PM

"W"...No it should be....Dude get a Yamaha....Really did you not test drive the boat and take it to a mechanic for an inspection....any way I cannot believe the dealer told you that. I bet he was saying how good of a deal you were getting when selling you the boat. BTW, I knew it had to be a MERC!!!!

Dink 08-03-2009 09:35 PM

I was told that theywould go over the boat and motor and make sure everything was in good working order................To me that would include the 3 pumps of gear oil it takes to fill it........Yes I test drove it........ started right up, ran good, not so much as a hickup..........drove it aound for an hour in the pensacola bay.........didn't hear any rumbling, rattling, nothin. sounded solid.............what can ya do??? a yamahammer?? I don't think so.......wonder if I can talk the Wife into an Opti?????

Hey W.......I never said a word when Gary wooped you on "your" lake........now ya gonna kick me when I'm down??? Think I'll tie ya up and host an auction at the Texas-LA border...................LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!!!!

all star rod 08-03-2009 09:44 PM

I guess you just have bad luck and it will be worse if you contiue to stick with MERCS.
I guess some do not learn from their mistakes. Oh well....really hope your repair is not too costly. How many hours were on the motor?

Deadly D 08-03-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 29081)
I was told that theywould go over the boat and motor and make sure everything was in good working order................To me that would include the 3 pumps of gear oil it takes to fill it........Yes I test drove it........ started right up, ran good, not so much as a hickup..........drove it aound for an hour in the pensacola bay.........didn't hear any rumbling, rattling, nothin. sounded solid.............what can ya do??? a yamahammer?? I don't think so.......wonder if I can talk the Wife into an Opti?????

Hey W.......I never said a word when Gary wooped you on "your" lake........now ya gonna kick me when I'm down??? Think I'll tie ya up and host an auction at the Texas-LA border...................LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!!!!

Tim I would stay with that old merc. let me know what you find out and if you need some parts I can talk to some of my racing buddies