SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   A mechanical question on Tinker Bayl (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59516)

Cappy 04-28-2015 05:49 PM

A mechanical question on Tinker Bayl

My ole 81 renagade that Peggy named "Tinker Bayl" cause I am always either tinkering with it or bayling it out has developed a bad habit.http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2XRw1saE7h...L_edited-2.jpg

When I go somewhere and then stop and go to start it again it wont start. After some tinkering I discovered it develops lots of pressure on the fuel line. If I disconect the fuel line it blows fuel and air out then reconect it and it starts right up, I have to do it so often I just hook the hose up to the carb with no clamp so I can pull it off to relieve the pressure. not sure the problem. Carberator?? timing?? I know the pressure cant back up through the fuel filter and think that is right but it builds up a bunch of pressure from the inline filter to the carberator. Any of yall have an idea? I sure cant afford a mechanic right now. thinking of resulting to google and you tube but thought I'd ask yall first.

latravcha 04-28-2015 08:29 PM

jeep?

If so what motor?

Cappy 04-28-2015 09:34 PM

It's a 81 jeep renagade with the original 6 cylender in it. all natural old school.

latravcha 04-29-2015 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stock carb or does it have the weber

This is what the stock carter looks like

Attachment 86958

This is what the Weber looks like>

Attachment 86959

Reason I asking is because the Weber upgrade is a very common upgrade because of the problem with the carters. The Weber also requires a lot less fuel pressure and needs a fuel pressure regulator.

Another problem is you could have a plugged fuel return line.

Cappy 04-29-2015 11:10 AM

Thanks so much for the reply. every thing on the ole jeep is stock. So yea the first one. Plugged return line sounds good I'll research and try to fix it thanks again.

Cappy 04-29-2015 03:10 PM

It's been an on and off kinda problem so I dumped in a pt of sea foam in the gas tank and aired her out for 20 miles or so.it was running a lil rough and had a hard time getting above 60 so maybe it is carb clogging. Settled down and got to 65 easily on way back so I'll let it sit for a half hour and see if it is vapor locked this time

Cappy 04-29-2015 09:19 PM

The sea foam seems to have solved it I've run it stopped and tried starting again 4 times no trouble. The big test will come tomorrow when I run to a buddies house to shoot the bull for a while. Every time i do I gotta pop the hood to get it started. Hopefully itl work this time no one gets to call my junky ole jeep junky cept me.

AubreyLaHaye458 04-29-2015 09:32 PM

Sea foam is a wonderful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saute86 04-30-2015 01:33 AM

On my old CJ I kept having issues with fuel filters and clogged return line. It was doing something similar to yours. I finally replaced the tank with a plastic one.

jldsc 04-30-2015 03:49 AM

Had to put new return lines and sending unit in my 81 cj7 also...I had webber and clifford 6=8 upgrades though...but the old steel return lines and tank vents are common though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cappy 04-30-2015 10:49 AM

I know the tank is bad the top of it seems to be leaky. several years ago I siliconed the heck out of it and things were ok for a while. How did that plastic tank work for ya I think I'll go that way. its under a skid plate so I'd feel safe going with plastic.

latravcha 04-30-2015 11:38 AM

I have a plastic tank sitting in the shop for mine but have not put it in yet. Hope to get to it in a week or so.

saute86 04-30-2015 12:33 PM

It was a perfect fit and an easy install.

Cappy 04-30-2015 12:49 PM

Thanks yall I been looking around the internet and looks like I can get one for around 100$ kinda scared to do it cause when I drop the tank who knows what else is gonna need changing. May try it though first I'll spend a few days looking around on line.

The sea foam was a temporary fix but it did work nnow how long will it work???? time will tell.

latravcha 04-30-2015 03:49 PM

Just the joys of owning a
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Cappy 04-30-2015 04:43 PM

Peggy bought me my ole jeep for Christmas one year. I was out working a long hitch on a tug boat, and she spent the money we had been saving for her kitchen on the jeep. When I got home 2 days before Christmas there it was in the drive way. Scared the hell out of me I just knew Jody had come a calling. 5 minutes later I was crying and not cause of Jody cause that ole jeep was mine.

mnormand 05-06-2015 09:11 PM

I got a 79 CJ5 last summer and having a ball with it. Learned all kinds of repairs since then. Just chgd new steel tank. Already bought reman carter bbd carb before that. $150... I'd rather not mess with carb kits, too many tiny parts. Running pretty good now.

Cappy it's hard to nail down a prob like that with so many different things it could be, Like my regular mechanic just told me, best to start at farthest point (tank) and work forward. Turns out tank was full of trash and filter on pickup tube fell off. Yes dropping the tank usually exposes other problems like bolts snapping etc, hahaha.

mnormand 05-06-2015 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh would love to see your Renegade too... here's mine.. anyone else gotta CJ post up! Attachment 87472

latravcha 05-07-2015 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1979 Cj5
the only picture I have on my computer

Attachment 87487

mnormand 05-09-2015 04:03 PM

That's nice Cappy. Looks very much rust free from the pic. Man it sure is fun, glad I got mine.