SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   old gas in a boat (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67500)

Elbert Chamblee 08-20-2017 05:01 PM

old gas in a boat

1 Attachment(s)
my neighbor filled his boat up yesterday and at toledo with bad gas he says. If the boat sits for 6-8 months this can happen or not. No ethanol free gas was used and he premixes oil with gas. Probably has about 2 gallons of water in tank.

Elbert Chamblee 08-23-2017 03:40 PM

old gas in a boat

well i found out that he bought gas in Hemphil at Brookshire Bros. The problem was that he bought the middle grade of gas which caused the problems. I had to ask why.... well i didn't want to pay what premium cost?

lil bubba 08-23-2017 04:18 PM

There could be a number of reasons he had water in gas but I don't think mid grade has anything to do with it . The difference between grades is octane rating . Ethanol gas will draw water from air especially if it sits up . A vent in wrong position will let water in . Gas sitting for 6-8 months will break down also . I run non ethanol and still use sta-bil marine and never have a problem . Then again it is possible the place he bought the gas had water in the tank....

perchman 08-23-2017 08:52 PM

Use sea foam every tank of gas. Premium gas is cheap compared to an outboard mechanic.

perchman 08-23-2017 08:54 PM

Forgot make sure you don't mix oils. I have seen two different oils not mix before. Burned up a opti max 200 because oil made a slug mixture in the bottom of the tank

Robert Haynes 08-25-2017 07:36 AM

100% gas and marine stabil always. I Use regular octane on Yamaha 250 4 stroke. . Not worth the chance and 100% gas doesn't break the bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pull n Pray 08-25-2017 07:42 AM

Do the manufacturers recommend high octane gas? I've never seen anything about that in the manuals.

MathGeek 08-25-2017 04:27 PM

Ethanol free gas with the recommended dose of Stabil - never a problem.

Forgetting the Stabil can be an expensive mistake.

Robert Haynes 09-04-2017 08:47 PM

I can't say for sure about octane but I do know that I researched a couple years ago and came to the conclusion to use regular octane, I think 1 grade up would be ok but if I remember right,the recommendation was to Not use high octane. Don't quote me though.

Robert Haynes 09-04-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 825366)
Ethanol free gas with the recommended dose of Stabil - never a problem.

Forgetting the Stabil can be an expensive mistake.

Yep, stabil is cheap enough, I have spent too much money on all my small engines cleaning carburetors after winter over when they first started this ethanol stuff, all small engines, lawn equipment and outboards never see ethanol and always see stabil!