SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fuel Tank Question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15468)

bdchristian 12-21-2010 11:17 PM

Fuel Tank Question

2 Attachment(s)
I just found that the fitting on my fuel tank where the fuel draw is from is split and I am losing prime on my fuel. Does anyone know if I can change that fitting on the fuel tank or do you have to change the complete tank. If I can change it where would I purchase it. I have attached a pic. Its hard to see the split.

Gerald 12-22-2010 12:27 AM

Hummmmm. Don't know.

Maybe try a boat dealer or West Marine in the Target shopping area.

Take the tank / boat to them so they can look at it.

cabwiz2 12-22-2010 08:43 AM

If that is a 6 gallon portable tank. I would suggest just buying a new one. They are only $26 and most fittings cost $10 or more. And then you have to worry about the fitting leaking.

bdchristian 12-22-2010 09:12 AM

I agree if it was 6 gal but it is a 12 gal. I thougth the fitting would be a good first try

Thanks

Bluechip 12-22-2010 09:25 AM

I changed one out on an aluminum boat I had. It was a 9 gallon tank and was the perfect size for fishing the Sabine reserve.

I bought the part at one of the boat dealers, (I think it was Jerry's) but this was probably 10 yrs ago. I also bought a small tube of permatex that was designed to hold up to a petroleum application to help make the seal with the fitting.

I don't know if they carry parts anymore for the tanks. Nothing is built anymore to fix, it's built to throw away and buy another one. I would try to fix it also if its a 12 gal....

What brand of tank is it?

Kenner18 12-22-2010 08:23 PM

I have one if you want it ,it came off a 6 gal tank but you should be able to swap your pickup tube . PM me and I will let you know where to pick it up . I will be in Sulphur all day on Thursday.

LPfishnTIM 12-22-2010 10:03 PM

I've had problems with those tanks on my boat, don't buy gas tank fittings from walmart either, attwood is crap, west marine fittings are a lot better they come with both fittings that fit exact with no let off so air doesn't escape into your line from the fittings. its a major help thats why i've been having problems with my motor dying on me when in idle.

Moma D 12-23-2010 12:17 AM

You should be able to get that fitting at Genes Marine on hwy 14 by KK"S grocery

bdchristian 12-23-2010 09:06 AM

Thanks to everyone. I went to West Marine and they where able to fix me up for $7.95 - I didn't know West Marine existed till mentioned here. Thanks Again to everyone

LPfishnTIM 12-23-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdchristian (Post 213487)
Thanks to everyone. I went to West Marine and they where able to fix me up for $7.95 - I didn't know West Marine existed till mentioned here. Thanks Again to everyone

I went to west marine today they are expensive but the products they sell are often better than the average crap that is sold elsewhere.