SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buying a Used Boat (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45986)

Goooh 07-15-2013 07:45 PM

Buying a Used Boat

What a nightmare and PITFA.

1.) arranged test ride on the boat I really wanted, good communication. Lined up everything to buy the boat just in case, all the leg work to make it quick and easy on the seller and myself since we are so far apart. Any time after noon on the day of was perfect for seller, the day comes and I make a 2 hr ride (no halfway meeting either, his turf). I call when I leave and no answer, understandable so I leave a message and and a text (worked for 2 days prior). Get there and sit, call, call and nothing. Wait for a bit, maybe he will call....... Nope! Still hasn't got back to me and it's been a few days.maybe something really bad happened, I would understand - this seems too common though.

2.) nice boat listed on a couple sites, been trying to sell for a while! No contact info, just PM. I PM and no response. Guess they don't want to sell that bad.

3.) respond to add, boat is here or there, no halfway, don't know hours on motor, don't blow leaves out of the boats for pictures, "should buff out".... What's the hell? These aren't cheap boats either!

What the heck is wrong with people????? I'm done stressing over trying to find a used boat, I didn't think this would be harder than buying a dang house. At least new I will know what the heck I'm getting myself into.

PaulMyers 07-15-2013 08:02 PM

Frontier

Goooh 07-15-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 605942)
Frontier

Yup! I could have ordered and had one in already if I wouldn't have wasted my time

Goooh 07-15-2013 08:23 PM

Here is another one I like. Ad with a description a mile long, best boat ever, loaded to the gills... No pictures. Or how about the single quartering pic with 4 beans from the cover blocking most of the hull?

fishinpox 07-15-2013 08:44 PM

Sounds like when my buddy tried to buy rigrat boat from here... Nothing but a waste of time

Matt G 07-15-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 605953)
Here is another one I like. Ad with a description a mile long, best boat ever, loaded to the gills... No pictures. Or how about the single quartering pic with 4 beans from the cover blocking most of the hull?

That's why I like the rules you must have a pic of the item being sold, an asking price, and contact info. Especially with a big ticket item like a boat.

CajunSaint 07-15-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 605953)

Just my 2cents buy from someone local!!

Or that you know!

My father in law has a 21ft Fishmaster for sale and he makes my warehouse guy pull it out everyday (with no lower unit ***) there is NOWAY I would look at this boat!!!

meaux fishing 07-15-2013 10:09 PM

If there isnt a picture posted I will only send one email asking for pics...but I have been on the other side of this too. You get lots of emails and people who say they are very interested. I even had a guy call me say he was coming out we set up a time and he never showed

Bdub 07-15-2013 10:40 PM

I refuse to buy another used fishing boat unless its less than 2 years old and still has warranty on it. Yea dropping the money sucks at first but when you start adding up all the extra cash to get a used boat into top condition to run in saltwater lakes or on the outside, it just makes more sense to me to buy a new boat. I hate picking up someone elses problem.

meaux fishing 07-15-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdub (Post 606005)
I refuse to buy another used fishing boat unless its less than 2 years old and still has warranty on it. Yea dropping the money sucks at first but when you start adding up all the extra cash to get a used boat into top condition to run in saltwater lakes or on the outside, it just makes more sense to me to buy a new boat. I hate picking up someone elses problem.

Just gotta wait for the right deal... I bought mine with less than 200 hrs on it for 25k under the sticker price.

alphaman 07-15-2013 11:11 PM

I had 2 used boats. That didnt last but a 1 year and half max. Sold both boats.. and waited almost 3 years to get my new boat! Well work the wait and 6 years warrenty on the motor. Talk about piece of mind! That is all...

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II

Bdub 07-15-2013 11:12 PM

I should probably add that I would definitely repower an older hull with a new motor. That isn't a bad deal 25k under sticker as a lot of boats hold their value when they get to a certain age and you may have actually benefited by buying used in that situation. I spoiled myself to a brand new boat and it just gives me a better feeling on the water...especially after owning a used boat that has almost left me in some sticky situations. It really just depends on the deal I guess...I actually bought a used motor today but I don't plan on taking it out in the lake and will be using it in an area where I could easily push pole or paddle back to the launch, so if it breaks down or something I wont be in too much of a bind.

Bdub 07-15-2013 11:13 PM

Exactly Alpha..peace of mind...I got 5 years warranty on my motor now, and I'm sure by the time that is up I'll be looking at upgrading...Actually already eyeballing some lol damn boats!

alphaman 07-15-2013 11:21 PM

I was done with used boat when my last one left us stranded in weeks bay with the kids prego wife!! Then it got dark! All kinds of thing and sounds come out at night in vbay.
:eek:
Had to be pulled in by iberia SO! The wife wasnt going to let me buy another used boat after that situation!

Goooh 07-15-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 606016)
I was done with used boat when my last one left us stranded in weeks bay with the kids prego wife!! Then it got dark! All kinds of thing and sounds come out at night in vbay.
Had to be pulled in by iberia SO! The wife wasnt going to let me buy another used boat after that situation!

Lol, sounds like you won that one!

bmac 07-16-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 606016)

You just gave me an idea...

alphaman 07-16-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmac (Post 606044)

Lol.

meaux fishing 07-16-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmac (Post 606044)

lol... just pull the kill switch. she will never know

Bdub 07-16-2013 11:03 AM

Hahaha meaux got it all planned out

Fishaholic247 07-16-2013 08:42 PM

Too many people buy a new boat and realize......

#1. I can't really afford the note that I thought I could on this much less the gas and the upkeep.

#2. I never have time to use this dern boat!

So there are plenty of LIKE new boats out there if you are patient and do your research. You will save thousands buying a gently used boat over NEW!!!!!! I bought an 04 Kenner 3 years ago and I will never regret it. Awesome boat and EVERTHING works!

Goooh 07-16-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishaholic247 (Post 606303)
Too many people buy a new boat and realize......

#1. I can't really afford the note that I thought I could on this much less the gas and the upkeep.

#2. I never have time to use this dern boat!

So there are plenty of LIKE new boats out there if you are patient and do your research. You will save thousands buying a gently used boat over NEW!!!!!! I bought an 04 Kenner 3 years ago and I will never regret it. Awesome boat and EVERTHING works!

I found one not long after I posted this, the seller has been great so far. There's still hope!

inchspinner 07-17-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 606334)
I found one not long after I posted this, the seller has been great so far. There's still hope!

What boat you goin with?

Goooh 07-17-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inchspinner (Post 606360)
What boat you goin with?

This one is a 24' triton LTS, still got warranty on boat and motor. It's bigger than I was looking for, but the price is better getting right. Should wet test today

Goooh 07-17-2013 08:59 AM

I looked at a Haynie, example 1 in my OP.

Had a Triton on here and 2 cool I took a stab at, but never received a response from the seller...

bjhooper82 07-17-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 606384)
This one is a 24' triton LTS, still got warranty on boat and motor. It's bigger than I was looking for, but the price is better getting right. Should wet test today

Nice choice. Good luck, hope it all goes good for you.

fishinpox 07-17-2013 09:56 AM

Get that triton!!

meaux fishing 07-17-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 606407)
Get that triton!!

x2

Goooh 07-17-2013 10:44 AM

I haven't talked to a single person that had anything negative to say about them, actually heard some of the guys at H&M in Houma run them instead of the others on their floor.

meaux fishing 07-17-2013 12:36 PM

the only other boats in my final consideration were a bluewave purebay 24 or a blackjack but I couldnt find a good deal on either of those

Big Kahunaz 07-17-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 606389)
I looked at a Haynie, example 1 in my OP.

Had a Triton on here and 2 cool I took a stab at, but never received a response from the seller...

Hmmm. Wonder who's selling that one?
Lol

mikedatiger 07-17-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kahunaz (Post 606482)
Hmmm. Wonder who's selling that one?
Lol

nobody that i know of comes to mind:spineyes: and, she's no longer for sale....

Goooh 07-17-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedatiger (Post 606494)
nobody that i know of comes to mind:spineyes: and, she's no longer for sale....

Coulda fooled me

mikedatiger 07-17-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 606502)

thanks mr. internet police for letting me know it's still up - i will take it down.

Goooh 07-17-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedatiger (Post 606513)
thanks mr. internet police for letting me know it's still up - i will take it down.

No problem. I find that if i pay attention to my adds when selling something it doesn't take six months for it to move.

Goooh 07-25-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 606407)
Get that triton!!

Picking it up tonight! Should be a little more comfortable than the 18' tiller?

mriguy 07-25-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 609435)

Congrats!! Post some pics!!

bjhooper82 07-25-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Congrats bro!!! Pics ASAP!

T-TOP 07-25-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

what did you end up deciding on?

bjhooper82 07-25-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 609445)
what did you end up deciding on?

See post #35