SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Swamp People (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13304)

Swamp Critter 08-25-2010 08:57 AM

Swamp People

Have any of you seen the new show "Swamp People" on the History Channel? I probably won't be the first one to start a thread about it. Maybe someone already has. Anyway, what do you think about it? I'll put in my two cents, I'm just curious to see your opinions first. Thanks in advance. Later.

SidelineSports 08-25-2010 09:09 AM

i think its a pretty good show.Funny.They are just real cajun coonasses lol. I like watching it. I didnt realize that they were doing that to gators around here lol.

Zachary Boy 08-25-2010 09:10 AM

There was a thread started on 8/7/10. To answer your question, I like the show. We had a houseboat at Bayou Pidgeon for about 15 years. It takes time to earn their trust, but once they accept you ,they will do anything for you. We would 'suck up' to the locals by bringing them stuff from town. They in turn taught me how to crawfish, run hoop nets, frog and other skills. By the way ,they didn't frog from a boat. We would wade chest deep thru the lily pads. Quite an eye-opener for a 13 year old 'city slicker'. I saw and heard things in the swamp I'll never forget...

Swamp Critter 08-25-2010 09:21 AM

I saw the show Sunday night and found it entertaining. I love my Cajun people. I'm one of them. I just hope that the entire country doesn't think everyone in Louisiana wears overalls and either no shoes, or those white boots (Delcambre Nike's, Pierre Part Reeboks, etc.) and we're up to our necks in gators and swamp water. Oh who am I kidding. They already think that. There's no cities except New Orleans, and the whole state is a huge swamp. We all paddle our pirogues to get anywhere. Oh well...

Zachary Boy 08-25-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Critter (Post 189275)
I saw the show Sunday night and found it entertaining. I love my Cajun people. I'm one of them. I just hope that the entire country doesn't think everyone in Louisiana wears overalls and either no shoes, or those white boots (Delcambre Nike's, Pierre Part Reeboks, etc.) and we're up to our necks in gators and swamp water. Oh who am I kidding. They already think that. There's no cities except New Orleans, and the whole state is a huge swamp. We all paddle our pirogues to get anywhere. Oh well...

I have no problem if they 'stereotype' us that way. I'm more afraid they will think we're like the people in the Superdome post Katrina that were on the news every 5 minutes. "We need sum hep, sumbody need to hep us":*****:

Montauk17 08-25-2010 12:42 PM

I think its hilarious how other people not from louisiana picture us living in da swamp takin our pirouges to work.

SULPHITE 08-25-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 189305)
I think its hilarious how other people not from louisiana picture us living in da swamp takin our pirouges to work.

You don't pirouge to da office????

Shawn Braquet 08-25-2010 01:58 PM

ill tell you what its a long pirogue to texas from carlyss, dont see how i have the entergy to do anything after work

Montauk17 08-25-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 189310)
You don't pirouge to da office????

Mah yah...I go fast fast like dat

SULPHITE 08-25-2010 03:58 PM

just watched the episode...good show. I like Troy..."if something happens to me and they put my heart in someone from New York...hes gonna wanna come down here and fish for gators!! LOL!

We've got a rich cultural heritage down here...gotta love it

specktator 08-25-2010 06:11 PM

"dat's a tree shaka!"
Troy

specktator 08-25-2010 06:11 PM

Did u notice Junior and them were eating marsh hen for supper at their house that night? Hahaha

outcast 08-25-2010 06:40 PM

a guy I work with is from Bayou Sorrel and knows Junior and Willie. He said they are starting to film the next season starting Sept 1st. he says they some crazy fools

Swamp Critter 08-25-2010 06:49 PM

Junior Edwards seemed kind of rude to his son William. He was trying to snag the gator with the treble hook and Junior just kept griping and complaining because he missed. I mean he wasn't really yelling at him, but William didn't look too happy. Maybe it was nothing, just looked like that to me. On the other hand, the father and stepson guys out in the marsh (Myrtle Grove?) seemed to get along just fine and had fun with what they were doing, even though the stepson made a few mistakes and didn't have the handgun fully loaded and left the bait behind. They just seemed to sort of laugh it off. By the way, that was incredibly dangerous the way William caught that gator. No offense AT ALL to William, it just could have gone really bad in a hurry. I'm not being judgemental and I've never been gator hunting, but William could have lost his fingers, his hand, his whole arm, or been pulled overboard and drowned the way the rope was wrapped around his hand, with nearly 800 pounds of pure, teed-off monster on the other end, thrashing and rolling right next to the boat. And not wearing gloves either. The gator could have made a run for it and that small rope sliding through his hands could have cut to the bone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all bashing William. It worked out and they got the gator, but they do this for real. I don't think it was a "put-on" for the cameras. I'm not saying they shouldn't snag gators, but there's got to be a safer way, like keep the rope from wrapping around you and wear some gloves. I'd just hate to see him, or anyone else hunting gators like that, get hurt or killed. If it doesn't work out, let the gator go, and live to catch another one.

Ray 08-25-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 189381)
Did u notice Junior and them were eating marsh hen for supper at their house that night? Hahaha

I eat Marsh Hen's. They's good.

Bluechip 08-25-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 189411)
I eat Marsh Hen's. They's good.

We used to kill a bunch and smoke them with some mesquite........They are good...;)

We called it "The Cajun Cornish Hen"

Ray 08-25-2010 09:28 PM

When I was younger, we would try to walk up on them and shoot them.
It was hard to find them. But you could run up on them on a tractor real
easy. They were heck to shoot on foot. They would duck and run under
some grass and you would never see them again.
Same with Snipe. It was hard to get close to them on foot, but easy on
a tractor.

Bluechip 08-25-2010 09:38 PM

Your right about trying to get close to them on foot. We would shoot them out of the back of a truck while just easing down a few shell roads out in the marsh.

Swamp Critter 08-26-2010 06:33 PM

Old Amos Moses would be right at home on this show.

Jordan 08-26-2010 07:12 PM

I know of amos. Good coonass cajun fella.