SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is a mud cat? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55230)

Goooh 07-27-2014 07:29 PM

What is a mud cat?

Bullhead Catfish = Ameiurus = MUDCAT TO SOME

Flathead Catfish = Pylodictis Olivaris = MUDCAT/YELLOW CAT/APPALOOSA/OPELOUSAS TO SOME

Insidiator 07-28-2014 09:14 AM

Called Gougeon (sp?) by many older Cajuns. Pronounced "Goo-Jean" with silent n, rhymes with cochon, French for pig. Don't ask what it means.

duckman1911 07-28-2014 12:18 PM

It's a slang term used by people that don't know it's actually called a Bullhead. I have never heard anyone refer to a Flathead as a mudcat. Not saying it doesn't happen I've just never heard it.

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 12:33 PM

Common names can get confusing especially down here, everybody calls something by a different name referring to the same species.

a white perch in Louisiana isn't the same as a white perch in the north

what people call a 'pin oak' here isn't a true pin oak, we don't have true pin oaks in La

every brown snake in Louisiana is a 'ground rattler'

Heard several times of people calling moles that dig in the yard 'salamanders'. They would ask how to get rid of salamanders and to me a salamander is an amphibian but they kept calling them that. Well it was just a bastardization of the phrase 'soil mounder'.

(not sure what that last paragraph has to do with the subject or anything but anyway)

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insidiator (Post 710119)
Called Gougeon (sp?) by many older Cajuns. Pronounced "Goo-Jean" with silent n, rhymes with cochon, French for pig. Don't ask what it means.

means when you catch a mudcat, feed it to the pigs:work:

BuckingFastard 07-28-2014 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bike

mriguy 07-28-2014 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 01:02 PM

google images for mudcat , first 5 catfish shown are a ops and a big blue, and a fine woman

https://www.google.com/search?q=mudc...w=1688&bih=771

Tjethro85 07-28-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 710196)
It's a slang term used by people that don't know it's actually called a Bullhead. I have never heard anyone refer to a Flathead as a mudcat. Not saying it doesn't happen I've just never heard it.

Thank you

Tjethro85 07-28-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insidiator (Post 710119)

The last part jean or jonne i believe is French for orange or yellow. The gou jonne is usually followed by a cai for cat. My stepdad from mamou has always called then that. He also said that any mullet that calls a fine tasting catfish such as a flathead a mud cat is not very bright.

Top Dawg 07-28-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjethro85 (Post 710219)
The last part jean or jonne i believe is French for orange or yellow. The gou jonne is usually followed by a cai for cat. My stepdad from mamou has always called then that. He also said that any mullet that calls a fine tasting catfish such as a flathead a mud cat is not very bright.

I've always know Em as goujon also. Caille means spotted.

Top Dawg 07-28-2014 01:23 PM

And ops we call mashwarohn. Pronounced mosh wah don

Tjethro85 07-28-2014 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Top Dawg;710222]I've always know Em as goujon also. Caille means spotted.[/QUOTE

Yeah you're right. Cat is Chat

duckman1911 07-28-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 710204)
Common names can get confusing especially down here, everybody calls something by a different name referring to the same species.

a white perch in Louisiana isn't the same as a white perch in the north

what people call a 'pin oak' here isn't a true pin oak, we don't have true pin oaks in La

every brown snake in Louisiana is a 'ground rattler'

Heard several times of people calling moles that dig in the yard 'salamanders'. They would ask how to get rid of salamanders and to me a salamander is an amphibian but they kept calling them that. Well it was just a bastardization of the phrase 'soil mounder'.

(not sure what that last paragraph has to do with the subject or anything but anyway)

Can't tell you how many times I've had the "pin oak" argument with people. It's been a long time since high school ag class but its a water oak if I remember right. Help me out DB

mriguy 07-28-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 710222)

This right here

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 710229)
Can't tell you how many times I've had the "pin oak" argument with people. It's been a long time since high school ag class but its a water oak if I remember right. Help me out DB

my family calls willow oaks pin oaks but have also heard water oaks called pin oaks as well. Basically any oak flat that floods, you are hunting in a 'pin oak flat'

heard two sides of the argument for willow oaks as to why they are referred to as 'pin oaks', one is that the the leaf is long and pointed like a pin, the other is that these were the oaks that were found in the bottoms nearest the river, and the shipbuilders used this wood as the pins holding it together:confused:

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 710222)

is this for the bullhead?

have heard both flatheads called spotted cats and yellow cats also, man this is confusing:rotfl:

cajun common names would be a good thread to start

Top Dawg 07-28-2014 01:37 PM

Lol yea. Goujon for the mud cats/bullhead.

Duck Butter 07-28-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 710235)
Lol yea. Goujon for the mud cats/bullhead.

only a couyon eat a goujon

#awaitsanMGthreadaboutbullheadsecrets

duckman1911 07-28-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 710236)
only a couyon eat a goujon

#awaitsanMGthreadaboutbullheadsecrets

You know it's comining :rotfl: