SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   question for all you dog people (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48155)

spoony 09-25-2013 09:27 PM

question for all you dog people

What brand shock collars do yall use?

bgizzle 09-25-2013 09:30 PM

Tru tronics!! They have changed the game! I have the g3

Spunt Drag 09-25-2013 09:34 PM

There are only 2 brands in the game, Tri-Tronics (which is now Garmin) and Dogtra. Both are quality and reputable. Tri-Tronics is made in America, Dogtra is not. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one, and I own both brands.

spoony 09-25-2013 09:43 PM

any specific product of theirs or should any of them be fine?

Spunt Drag 09-25-2013 09:52 PM

Unfortunately the tritronics collar I have is no longer made. But any of their products are quality collars. Also, they are more expensive than the lower quality brands like Sportdog, etc. but they're more expensive for a reason. You get what you pay for in that world, trust me.

Nickt87 09-25-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 630709)
Unfortunately the tritronics collar I have is no longer made. But any of their products are quality collars. Also, they are more expensive than the lower quality brands like Sportdog, etc. but they're more expensive for a reason. You get what you pay for in that world, trust me.

As I've heard from a friend before, "buy the best and you only cry once". This is true in this market for sure.

spoony 09-25-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgizzle (Post 630693)
Tru tronics!! They have changed the game! I have the g3

which g3 do you have? the dog trainer or sport remote training collar?

JATails 09-26-2013 09:27 AM

http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tron...-g3-1-dog.html

Tri-Tronics Flyway G3 EXP

I got a couple years ago and really enjoy it

bbrown 09-26-2013 09:48 AM

I use a Dogtra Edge with good results. Good battery life and easy to use.

The majority of my friends use Tri-Tronics and they like them. I have not talked to anyone that has purchased a new one since Garmin purchased them however, I have read reviews about a decrease in quality.

Echoing what Sprunt said, I don't believe you can go wrong with mid to upper Tri-tronics or Dogtra.

cajunforeman 09-26-2013 10:00 AM

I have the tri Tronics flyaway edition. I have had no issues with the collar and this will be the 4th year.

bay_slayer 09-26-2013 10:10 AM

I know this is kinda off the subject but I have no experience with shock collars at all. What would be a good collar to keep my dog from barking at the frickin time??

bbrown 09-26-2013 10:22 AM

Once again, Dogtra and Tri-tronics make bark collars. Both are good, I've heard dogtra has the better on the bark end however I have personal experience with tri-tronics and they work well.

jchief 09-26-2013 10:32 AM

I once had a female black lab that would not quit barking even with a no bark collar. She would run the battery dead in half a day.

Spunt Drag 09-26-2013 10:50 AM

One other thing worth mentioning is the higher end collars like Dogtra and TriTronics have consistency in the stimulation levels. The lower end collars Sportdog, D.T., Cabelas, have inconsistent stimulation. So if your dog stays on a level 2 and you want to give a small correction for a cast refusal on a blind retrieve, you could end up sending a lightning bolt and creating more problems than correcting. Just food for thought.

bmatte8 09-26-2013 11:05 AM

I just bought the Garmin Delta this summer. I love it. Garmin bought out Tri-Tronics and the Delta took the place of the Tri-Tronics Sport Basic which is one the best sellers according to Gundogsupply.com. I would definitely recommend the Garmin Delta to anyone looking to get a good collar in the $200 range.

MarshRat89 09-26-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunt Drag (Post 630816)
One other thing worth mentioning is the higher end collars like Dogtra and TriTronics have consistency in the stimulation levels. The lower end collars Sportdog, D.T., Cabelas, have inconsistent stimulation. So if your dog stays on a level 2 and you want to give a small correction for a cast refusal on a blind retrieve, you could end up sending a lightning bolt and creating more problems than correcting. Just food for thought.

I Have the Sport dog and had good luck with it the past 3 years. I didnt realize there was inconsistent stimulation though. I rarely ever burn my dog anyway.

jopete 09-26-2013 01:47 PM

a good dog don't need no shock collar.

Spunt Drag 09-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshRat89 (Post 630859)
I Have the Sport dog and had good luck with it the past 3 years. I didnt realize there was inconsistent stimulation though. I rarely ever burn my dog anyway.

Not tryin to slam anybody's brand. Didn't mean to sound that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopete (Post 630885)

Haha I was wondering when that debate would begin

Raymond 09-26-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopete (Post 630885)

Really? How many good dogs have you put your hands on?
Time to "Qualify" your statement and or "Credentials" as a dog trainer Skippy.

Line'em Up Regards,;)

meaux fishing 09-26-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 630902)
Really? How many good dogs have you put your hands on?
Time to "Qualify" your statement and or "Credentials" as a dog trainer Skippy.

Line'em Up Regards,;)

LOL